Technical bug reports/issues thread

Maybe not a bug but a change: I find that clicking the header for the page you’re one (ex. Latest) doesn’t refresh the page like it used to. Neither does clicking the EFour banner in the corner.

There are other ways to refresh but I liked this method.

iOS Chrome here.

1 Like

Interesting. What do you mean by refresh in this case? The principle behind the software that run the forum is that a hard refresh should be mostly avoided as it takes time and more computation. The way it should work is that, for instance, going from “Latest” to a particular topic just replaces the content of the page from a list of threads to the posts in the thread. All the common assets are recycled like the banner, background, header and even things like css, javascripts etc.

So the lack of a hard refresh is intentional. The UI updates itself as new posts come in which I’m sure you’re aware of. I guess I’m just wondering what the difference is here, what’s the benefit of the hard refresh? Unless I’m just misunderstanding the issue altogether.

You are describing the functionality I want - the hard refresh. Reloading the page with fresh info.

I am a chronic page-refresher. Just another way technology has left me behind, to perish in obscurity.

What you are asking for is the equivalent of making your computer shut down and reboot every time you want to switch between applications. There may be a psychological effect of seeing that hard refresh but other otherwise there is no benefit, and actually a lot of negatives including longer load times, more energy consumed, more bandwidth utilized and a higher server cost.

The site instantly notifies you when a new post is made. When you click onto a thread, it loads in the most freshest and most up to date data and anything new is instantly published to your screen including when other people make edits to their posts. I guess my only suggestion is to get friendly with your F5 button. Even then, I hate to be the one to tell you but your browser ultimately does the a similar thing for you without realizing since it saves a ton of assets and recycles them without telling you. The truest hard refresh requires a Ctrl+F5 or a Command+R as all connoisseurs know :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re talking about keyboard functions as if I own a computer. Guess again, buddy. I’m a mobile user.

Anyway, I just mentioned it because it worked until recently and then stopped. It’s no big deal. Mobile has to be refreshed when coming from sleep so I always refresh the page when bringing the site back up. Since I’m usually on Latest I was in the habit of just clicking Latest again.

1 Like

Do you not have something like this on mobile?

1 Like

Maybe it’s on my end but I’m having an issue with the Bold (CTRL + B) function on Firefox.

When I try to ‘Bold’ Pokémon in the text box, it’s not showing the Bold effect.

It works fine on Chrome.

EDIT: Ah, everything appears to be bolded on Firefox, which explains the no-bold effect behaviour. Not sure why yet — Can you test if Firefox is showing the same? If so, it’s probably one of my addons messing with the website.

It’s fine on my end. Could be a addon or just a difference in version. My current version:

Same version here as well. Just figured out what’s causing the behaviour.

I’m using the ‘Privacy Badger’ addon (fantastic privacy addon btw) and it’s blocking “fonts.googleapis.com” when browsing e4 — Set it to allow and everything is now un-bolded.

1 Like

Good to know. I can probably host the font file right on the site and avoid problems like this in the future.

I keep the forum open persistently. When I wake my phone from sleep, then open Chrome from a minimized state, the page is inert and does not become live again until I refresh the page manually.

It does update in the background when my phone is in use, and it does update as expected when using the forum itself, but I always have to resuscitate the page when coming back from a locked/sleep state.

But again — it’s fine. I can just refresh on the browser level.

1 Like

Since last week, I am encountering a problem with the side on PC. When I go on the side, I am not able to interact with it in any way. I can not scroll and I can not click. Even normal F5 doesn’t do anything. If I refresh via CTRL+F5, the site starts working again until I leave it again. Therefore, I deleted the cache and everything related in the browser history. This fix worked for a couple of days, but now I am getting the same error again. This is getting tedious. I Never had this error before, and I’ve been using the site daily since release.
Am I the only one with this problem? Is there a fix?

I am happy to try and help but i need more specific information. Can you send a screenshot of exactly which elements on the page are not working? Which browser and OS? If you try a different browser are you getting the same problem? Does it happen on mobile?

There is also a way to turn off all themes and plugins like this:

https://www.elitefourum.com/safe-mode

I’m curious if it is still an issue after you turn that on

1 Like

So the site looks completely normal. But here for example I can click on things but not scroll.

I am using Chrome with Windows 10.

The same happens with the safe_mode link, when I click on it. Looks normal, but not able to interact at all.

I tried opera, and it worked fine, After a quick test. So it has something to dowith chrome.

https://www.elitefourum.com/my/preferences/interface

I have added a “test” theme that removes most of the extra components. You can let me know if that works and if so it could be a custom component causing the issue.

It’s unusual if no one else has the same issue. Could be the version of Chrome you’re running has a bug? You could also try updating if possible?

2 Likes

Wow, man, I really appreciate your effort. Thank you so much.

Unfortunately, both things didn’t work. The test theme has the same error, and my Chrome is on the newest version.
Version 106.0.5249.119

The “Participated” tab doesn’t seem to actually be including all of the posts that I’ve participated in. I believe it’s excluding all of my posts from before the Great Migration :tm:

Not a big deal, but thought I’d let you know in case it’s secretly causing other lingering bugs.

Compare Profile - joshspkmncollection - Elite Fourum to https://www.elitefourum.com/posted and you’ll see that a bunch of the topics that I’ve created are missing.

My safe mode link was wrong, can you try this one?

https://www.elitefourum.com/safe-mode

1 Like

I will look into this a bit more. On my account, I can see all my old posts appear there but I can see the issue you’re talking about on your end.

2 Likes

Whenever someone replies to my posts, it shows an old profile image on the linked comment, and not my current one. NBD, I don’t care, but it is odd. See example of reply below…

1 Like