Sub $1k EX era booster boxes?

I am looking to purchase a old booster box from the ex era and my budget is $1k USD. My options are listed below but cannot find some values on some so may be missing a couple which may be within my price range. Any help would be great.

• Ex ruby and sapphire (~$850)
  • Ex Hidden Legends ($~850) couple on eBay
  • Ex Power Keepers ($1k)

Ideally i would like to purchase EX FRLG but that seems to out of budget $1.2k especially when that excludes import tax. How much do EX legend maker and Dragon frontiers typically sell for?

I should also note EX Sandstorm is sub-1k ($700 - $900) (there’s just no listing on eBay rn, but you can ask here or somewhere else if anyone is willing to part with it)

Legend Maker may be in your budget – it is selling for $800-1k. Dragon Frontiers is 3k+ at this point, so I wouldn’t consider it.

As a casual note, I would suggest thinking about how much you want to buy a FRLG booster box. Would you regret not getting it in the future? I’m saying this bc it is only a few hundred dollars over (which with diligent saving, etc. should not be too hard to accomplish), and is a candidate for a price hike in the future if the EX cards take off, so it may be now (i mean now as in less than a year/2 years) or never.

I agree with cman, saving a little bit of extra capital so that you can get FRLG is they way to go. I think it has the highest expected value if if you intend on opening it with all of the recognizable species. I also think it’s the best candidate to see a price hike in the next few years. The print quality in the specific few months of Hidden Legends and Fire Red Leaf Green was top notch, so cards come out of the pack looking like they should.

You could always take advantage of one of the numerous eBay deals we’ve been having. The 15% back with a cap at $100 puts you a little closer to your $1k cap. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the responses. My definite preference would EX FRLG, Hidden Legends or Legend Maker. To be honest i am not really buying it as a investment although its never bad for price growth. Also although i intend to keep it sealed, the card quality will be important to others.

The only Legend maker on eBay UK at is ~ $1600 and is a bit beaten up :slightly_frowning_face: Link Here
I am located in the UK so we never got those sweet 15% off deals, and have to pay 20% import tax with goods from the US, where most old boxes tend to be sold from.

www.dacardworld.com/gaming/pokemon-usa-ex-fire-red-leaf-green-booster-box

If you want to go a little over your budget dacardworld has FRLG on sale ATM, $1100

1 Like

How much are ex emerald boxes? Out of my price range?

To answer your question, that last EX Emerald boxes have sold for around ~$800. However…

I would argue that ex Emerald is the worst of the ex series sets (second worst is Power Keepers IMO). It has no Japanese equivalent; it is essentially a catch-up set that gave us the majority of Japanese promos and other releases that we had not seen in English to that point. It also interrupted the gold star era, with the previous 2 sets having gold stars followed by the next 7. The 3 prior sets are also arguably the best of the block, with Fire Red $ Leaf Green, Team Rocket Returns, and Deoxys. In comparison to those sets, Emerald was a huge disappointment when it came out. The ultra rares were cool in that they were unique species that don’t get a lot of love, like Cacturne, Medicham, and Dusclops. However, for investment’s sake, I don’t think that their values’ will compete with other sets. Just my opinion, as always.

1 Like