Sprite Stories?

@lyleberr Cool to see that Archeops gets some love. Such an underrated Pokémon, and it has one of the fewest TCG artworks of all Pokémon (although Bonsly, Mantyke, and some other baby Pokémon still have one less).

As for my sprites: Seviper is my favorite Pokémon, so I’ve added both its regular and shiny variant. I collect Pikachu and am well-known for it, so I’ve added a regular and big (gigantamax) variant for it. And I also collect the Moltres WotC #21 promo artwork and Swablu BREAKthrough artwork, my two favorite artworks of the TCG, so I added those as well. :slight_smile:

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

I’m representing my favourite design contest sets Spiky-Eared Pichu & Arceus from 2009 and Zorua & Zoroark from 2010

2 Likes
  1. I just love Magikarp all around. Growing up near the ocean, I just have a spot for sea creatures/fish and Magikarp/Gyarados was one of my favourites. I just always found it cool how such a silly Pokemon eventually transforms into something so ferocious and powerful.
  2. Pikachu with the hat, I just found it to be cute. No real story behind this one.
  3. Squirtle was my 1st pick of a starter playing Pokemon Blue in 1999. I always found he was the ideal balance between physical and water type which was pretty strong early in the game. I also just love the Base Set Squirtle artwork compared to the other starters.
  4. Scyther is also one of my favourites and it was cool exploring the Safari Zone later in the game and finding him in there. I also just love the Jungle set and he’s one of the front-runners of the set.
  5. I almost picked Jigglypuff here because it was my siblings favourite Pokemon, but I decided to go with Wigglytuff because it became one of my favourite Pokemon when I returned to collecting. I quickly realized from collecting white/normal coloured WOTC Pokemon holos that to get them in high grades was extremely difficult, and acquiring a PSA 10 holo Wigglytuff ended up being one of my goals. I managed to fulfill that goal in December and won the auction for a 1st Edition copy from TCA_Gaming at a solid price.
  6. Pidgeot was the first Pokemon I got to maximum level in Pokemon Blue and was my favourite to do battles with in Pokemon Red/Blue. His late game moves were some of my favourites in the whole game. He lacked defence, but his offence power was just awesome. I felt like it was nice to have along side Blastoise, especially against plant based Pokemon.
5 Likes

I wanted to capture the essence of Pokemon from 1999. A Pokeball, the Gen I starters and Pikachu :heart:

10 Likes

Like most here, i went with some of my favorites! Will probably change a few of these after i think more about it. but i like these guys for now

3 Likes

I’m enjoying people’s diverse range of favorites from so many generations of Pokémon. I wasn’t sure with an older community like this one if there’d be a definitive Gen 1 preference but there’s been a great mix.

3 Likes

I was actually going to comment that the sprite feature really gives a visual of how many people here grew up with Gen 1 lol

5 Likes

Lol, maybe I just expected it to be worse than it is.

Don’t let my own imagery fool you — I’m a contemporary fan and have an eclectic taste in Pokémon.

1 Like

Simply it’s my top 6 favourite Pokémon.

Bulbasaur - The Pokémon with most personality.
Charizard - Everyone wants a shiny charizard
Mew - Shiny version is pretty cool. And it’s mew.
Umbreon - Best eeveelution in my opinion, although vaporeon comes close.
Suicune - Such a cool legendary, remember it from my Pokémon Crystal days
Rayquaza - Space dragon.

1 Like

This is pretty easy;

1 Like

I’m in school for software development, so I love the Porygon line because it ties into a real life concept for me. I imagine developers working on Porygon and updating him to a new version (Porygon 2) and while working on Porygon 2 to upgrade him into Porygon 3, developing a crazy glitch which created Porygon-Z.

This also makes me really want a Porygon 3 so we can see the “final version” of the original Porygon.

With that being said, that’s why it’s my favorite evolution line / my signature.

4 Likes

Rhydon: My all-time favorite Pokemon. I’ve told this story several times before, but I was so obsessed with Rhydon that I actually used my Master Ball on one in the Unknown Dungeon during my first ever play-through of Pokemon Red as an eight-year old. Yes…Mewtwo was one floor down, and I used it on a Rhydon. Probably should have rolled with an Ultra Ball, but hindsight is 20/20. Also, fun fact: Rhydon was the first Pokemon ever designed.

Charizard: A classic. I don’t think I need to say much here.

Absol: One of my favorite designs ever. Gen 3 had so many great Pokemon, but Absol is definitely my favorite of the bunch, and unlike Gen 3 when it pretty much sucked, it’s actually very usable on a team now thanks to the Physical/Special split. Kind of a beast if you know how to use it.

Arcanine: Love its design. Has to be one of the top 10-15 most popular Gen 1 Pokemon, and for good reason.

Houndoom: Everyone here already knows well about my love for Gen 2, and Houndoom is my favorite Gen 2 Pokemon. Not only is its design absolutely fantastic, but it is also really, really good. Dark/Fire is an incredible offensive typing.

Ampharos: I think pretty much everyone who played Gold and Silver used Ampharos as their Electric type at some point in time for two reasons, the first being it’s a really good Pokemon and the second being that it’s pretty much the only freaking Electric type you can get in the game that actually has access to good Electric-type moves. Then Crystal got rid of Mareep entirely. Sad times. Anyway, I love Ampharos. It epitomizes Gen 2 to me.

6 Likes

Charizard - Always a favorite when I was growing up. I still pick the fire starter in every game I play.

Flareon - The eeveelution that stuck out to the me the most as a kid, probably had a connection with how much I enjoyed fire Pokemon.

Latias - One of my favorite cards, and one I have good memories of as a child was Latias EX from EX Dragon. I lost the card as I grew older and priorities shifted, but it’s one I still strongly remember.

Lugia - A tribute to one of my favorite Pokemon games of all time; Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness on the Gamecube. Loved the concept of being able to catch other trainers Pokemon and training them to obey you as time went on, something about that really stuck with me.

4 Likes

Dragonite- favorite Pokémon by far

Stamie - a sweeper in game that can learn Thunderbolt/Icebeam/Psychic/Surf

Lapras - loved this mon probably because it is a plesiosaur (loved dinosaurs growing up as most kids) also can learn all the moves starmie can.

Nidoking - Gen 1 tank, love the design

2 Likes

Got my squad going

1 Like

Bump for any new members we picked up and haven’t seen this thread yet

8 Likes

Just really like the psyduck line. Perfection.

2 Likes

Mostly it’s Pokémon i reslly like. Either beacuse tjey look cool or make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

The only exception ls Ho-Oh: My yougest son is named Føniks (Phoenix in english). The bird Phoenix is kinda a fiery bird so I collect everything Ho-Oh. Currently working on collecting all english Ho-Oh cards.
:man_shrugging:

8 Likes

It’s very simple, my top 6 favorite Pokemon

5 Likes

I just like Sandshrew, he just be vibing with not a care in the world.

4 Likes