smpratte's Collection

Hahaha, yeah they are nice, more mew cards need to appear in the upcoming sets.

wow you have the red cheek pikachu… ive been looking for that every where where did you get yours from??

Every-time, every f-ing time I see your cards my eyes get just a little bit greener :stuck_out_tongue: Are there now two PSA-10 TMB No.1s? Also the mysterious pearl was that the one I graded and owned or are there at least two PSA 10s of that card also?

Awesome collection and for those not in the ‘know’ you have no idea how lucky Scott is when compared to me. It amazes me to this day on how lucky and fortunate you have been Scott, keep up the good work :blush:

Thanks Wil, a lot of it wouldnt of happened if I didn’t know you. And those first images are your old cards! I put them on their a long time ago and just kept them up :blush:

But the rest after are mine. The 2002 battle roads are all psa 10 and that mysterious pearl was graded by me :blush: Actually all of those were graded by me, even the tmb phone cards which I was worried wouldnt be graded but were.

I have my eyes on some new cards right now, actually there are going to be a lot coming in, which means a lot of money going out, but if I seal all of the deals it will cards that I have doubles of that are very rare going up for sale :blush:

Cool! Glad you kept the scans, is it true that my once glorious collection sold for a measly $5K? :angry:

Any cards swiftly making their way to, or slowly trudging their way back from PSA?

I have some that are there that are all going to be sold. A 1st edition charizard is among them and can possibly receive a high grade. Also some error cards and some gym holos and these baseball cards that should bring in some money. They are from 1910 and the others are from 1930-1940 which is pretty crazy that they are 100 years old :blush:

I am going to grade the koffing sample I got and hopefully it will be a 10, I am trying to get the whole set 10 gem mint (only need koffing and gastly).

Everytime i see your collection im just like WOW thinking how much did you spend on all those cards lol.

Did you spend the retail value on them all or did you get good deals for them?

exceptionally good deals, deals of a life time deals IMO.

Regarding any promo card there is no such thing as ‘retail’ value, the prices of these cards are determined by the collectors’ market ( handful of individuals the more scarce the more tightly gripped is the sales value), the consumers’ (mass majority of agreement and availability) and stores’ market(direct pricing control dictated by company and store’s representative view/understanding on the consumers’ and collectors’ market).

Scott, I remember you mentioning to me awhile back of getting your hands on some old baseball cards for a great deal would these be the same cards?

Yes those are the same ones! I am finally getting them graded, and just going to list them on ebay and let them get what they end on. One of them should be above $100 so hopefully I will see a solid return.

About the collection, I had some deals but mostly I paid full price on a lot of the cards, sometimes too much. I will not say i was unlucky but I had some lucky transactions but mostly realistic ones. The best deal was on the no 3 1997 trainer.

Actually the three 1,2 and 3 trainers were listed and had bids that were very high but then some kid hit buy it now and ruined the auction. When relisted they did not get much attention and were listed at a good time for US and bad for UK so I got lucky and outbid them, and almost had the no 2 :slightly_frowning_face:

But the other cards I paid solid prices for. The SSB cards were all realistic for the current market.

The 9th lucky stadium i overpaid for, 1.3k because i really wanted it, and of course good ol steve silvestro was the one with it.

But overall I had to shell out a lot a lot a lot of money time and effort in finding them. It is easy to look at all of them together but it took so much work, constant work to find all of them; constant work that is definitely worth it :blush:

1 Like

Scott, did you consult the SMR to see what the value of those sports’ cards might be? (if not I would do that first before listing them)

Yeah it was bad about Mozz’s auction, my original plan after he had to re-list them was to buy the set for $12k but I decided against that since it was either that or put cash down for an SSB and TMB No.1; I decided to not buy the set because it was my understanding that PSA had already graded a '97 pika trophy set; well we know about that :wink:

by looking at cards that we collectors are into some are luck and some aren’t from just as a collectors stand point.sometimes people get good deals and sometimes we just lose em to someone else.Recently I have seen many ANA promo cards go for little over their value compared to back in the days.

Yeah i did wil, one should be a 5 and the other one will be poor it is from 1910 and looks like it is 100 years old :blush:

And I remember those days when mozz had al three 97 trainers, that was a good time, so many good cards out :blush:

And lugia I know what you are saying, luck is usually not consistent, and I like seeing people get a good deal, but guys who are out for unreal deals should not be collecting, there has to be respect for the cards :blush:

1 Like

Due to the scarcity of trophy cards, luck must factor in. It isn’t just money but knowing where to look and who to ask. (Damn I get pissed every time knowing what I once and had and will likely never have again :sob: :angry:)

Yeah it’s good that you consulted the SMR; I just wish PSA would stop sending me SMRs! I’m no longer a member and have canceled three times :open_mouth:

(however with a site like this, I’m thinking we’ll be seeing more rare cards popping up in the near future)

Yes I hope so too. I think the site at minimum gets people more aware of the cards.

(Although to be honest, I sort of like the idea that there are trophy/prize cards out there that will never be seen by the majority.)

IMO a card to be valuable must have at least the following

1. ‘Scarcity’ said card should have no more than 500 copies, the less the better :sunglasses:

2. ‘History’ said card should have a story behind it, the more interesting and less known about the story the better.

3. ‘Rarity’ This combines the two above factors into one adding another factor in such a process. If a card is rarely if ever seen and once seen people say ‘OMG-WTF is that!’ or ‘OMG I have only seen one of those for sale and that was nearly 10 years ago!’ Then you have a ‘rare’ card by rare in this sense I mean it’s scarce, its history is known by very few and it has hardly been seen by anyone.

Once I get rich I am going to buy every single trophy card twice over, one to get graded, *thanks to me and you (Scott) that has already been under way* and one to put in a binder; then to be a jerk I’m going to have every website excluding this one take away all scans of trophy cards so people can then after 10-20 years question their sanity about if there ever were such a thing as Pokemon trophy cards hahahaha. :stuck_out_tongue:

That would be cool but any way goodluck lol

Yes it is really just a combination of scarcity/history/story behind each card. I mean what really makes the pre raichu and illustrator so great are the stories behind them. The 1997 no 1,2 and 3 trainers have less copies then both illustrator and raichu, but the story behind those two cards makes them way more popular.

Hey Scott, would you sell your collection to me once I get rich?

Just curious :blush:

haha I dont know I mean I know that is a fictional question right now, but it means so much to me. I have thought if someone even offer 10 million I would still have trouble :confused: