Shining Celebi Misprint?

I recently started collecting cards with my step son as a bonding thing and no nothing of Pokémon really. I found this card but cannot find another one anywhere for us to price. There is shining Celebi #004 Japan writing cards and shining celebi cards that are SM79 I think it is in English. We have an English on numbered 004. Is this a misprint card and worth anything?

Pictures would help a lot, I have no idea what you mean right now.

I can’t think of anything that fits the description. Can you post a pic?

How do I add pictures?

Shining Celebi from the Shining Legends set is indeed numbered SM79 in its English print and 004 in its Japanese print;

However, this kind of ‘misprint’ would be unprecedented and I’ve found no prior reports of any similar misprint involving this card. If you have the above card in English numbered ‘004’, I’d lean toward it being fake - though I’d have to see some pictures to make sure.

Otherwise, there is one recent English Celebi card that does have 4 as its set number - this Holo Rare Celebi from the Unified Minds set;

Might I be correct that this is the card you are referring too, and that you are simply using ‘shining’ to refer to the shiny nature of the picture of the card? This shininess is usually referred to as ‘Holo’ or ‘Holographic’ - this terminology mix-up might explain the confusion.

Thanks for the reply. I cannot figure out how to add pictures but the card I have is just like the first one you posted. The entire card is identical as that one but the number at the bottom is 004/72 Pokémon 2017. This is what is at the bottom left of the card. The entire card is English.

Go to imgur.com on your phone and take a pic, copy and paste the link here

Try uploading pictures to Instagram, Imgur, Facebook, etc. and share a link. Nobody here can give you a solid answer unless you can show us.

You can add pictures by uploading it to a host (like imgur) and then placing the direct link in img tags. Here is an explanation: www.elitefourum.com/t/how-to-upload-images/24249/1

What you’re describing is unknown to me. That Shining Celebi was released in a Japanese set with the number 004/072, but was released as a promotional card in English as SM79. I’m not sure what context this card would be printed in English with the Japanese set number.

1 Like

imgur.com/gallery/iFIpIhN

This is the card I have. Hope that worked

Looks fake, sorry. The font in the Pokedex entry looks very off.

3 Likes

Okay well that helps. Looks like all the rest and same texture of card. Thanks for the information. We also have a bunch of charziards 2020, charmander from 95/96/98, charmeleon 2016, blastoise 2012, pickachu 2010-2016 if anyone knows if they are worth anything I would love the information

It says “tadpole pokemon”. Super fake, not even a good one.

That Celebi’s definitely fake. You’d have to post pictures of the other cards so we can assess them individually for you

I just made this up of the other cards. Thanks everyone for the help. Now I won’t look like a fool to my step son lol
imgur.com/gallery/i6hqPTR

That card is unfortunately a fake. Putting it next to the real card reveals a lot of inconsistencies;

The text font, size, and alignments are all various degrees of wrong. The ‘Ability’ icon they used is from an older series of cards. The Pokédex entry (bottom right) appears to be poorly machine-translated. The line under the picture misidentifies Celebi as ‘Tadpole Pokémon’ instead of ‘Time Travel Pokémon’. Overall print quality isn’t the best. The set symbol used is the English Shining Legends set symbol - the card was printed as 004/072 in the Japanese version of that set, but the Japanese set has a different set symbol, and the card was taken out of the English Shining Legends set to be distributed separately as a Black Star promo card (SM79).

I’m sorry to say that the card is fake.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the help amd pointing these things out so I know what to look for going forward. Great help and much appreciated

These all seem to be real! Love that third Pikachu.

Thank you all for the help and pointing these things out so I know what to look for going forward. Great help and much appreciated

1 Like