99 Base set non holo error card

Hey all I’m new here and happy to join. I have recently opened up some of my childhood boxes that have been packed away since about 2001 maybe… anyway I found my pokemon cards and was looking through them to see if I may have had anything special. Best piece that wasn’t unlimited was a heavily played shadowless ninetales that looked like it needed to be put to sleep lol. Then I looked at the three unlimited mewtwo cards that were there and 1 of them was missing the holofoil… I looked at the card numbers to make sure I wasn’t crazy and they are all 10/102. I looked this up and found that cgc charizard but it was from base set 2 or whatever. I’m wondering if anyone has seen a 99 base set non holo error like this. I will be sending out to cgc next week to see whats up but just wanted to check in with some big wigs to see what I may have here and what it’s worth. Thanks a bunch for all your comments just here looking for some help.

Thanks

AL

Do you have pictures of the card? Upload it to imgur.com so we can take a look and see what you’ve got on our hands. :blush:

1 Like

99 base set non holo error mewtwo 2 imgur.com/gallery/TXIcdao

99 base set non holo error mewtwo imgur.com/gallery/cs5EVFx

99 base set non holo error mewtwo back imgur.com/gallery/47RgFQh

Here are some images

1 Like

Which one is non holo? From these pictures, both look holo

1 Like

The one on the left is a non holo

Here is another picture the non holo is the center card

Card in center non holo imgur.com/gallery/qAaRhGy

It looks to me like a high resolution copy of a holographic card. I feel the left one isn’t as crisp as the right one which is a red flag for me…some of the proxy zards on eBay have had similar things going on where the card looks almost the same level of clarity and like it has foil, but the foil never changes in different lights.

The back looks close, but I feel like there is something mildly off. Maybe a video of the front would be more helpful in this situation?

Video of the front would indeed be helpful, the colors on the back are a bit off, and the fact that it is really off center does not help it. An immense proportion of fakes are off center.

1 Like

The non holo is on the left and from this angle the holo background just went black kind of strange looking

Non holo error in left card imgur.com/gallery/9vjnyGD

I’ll get some video up on there and as far as a fake I have had this card since 1999 and it has been in a box in the garage for 20 years so I hope it isn’t fake and wonder why fake it 20 years ago?

Thankd for input. I Hope this helps, like I was saying I’m original owner I’m 33 now and its never left my possesion since 1999

Non holo vs holo imgur.com/gallery/wRjSoB3

A holo pattern “locked” in one position is usually a sign that a card is a non-holo fake. Since your card has the holo pattern and is a non-holo I think the simple conclusion is that it’s fake. A card misprinted as non-holo would not have the holo pattern

1 Like

Did you ever trade or buy singles instead of just buying booster packs?

The non holo version is also quite glossy, which again is not a good sign.

2 Likes

@bigal55 , everyone here can help you a whole lot better if you just post clear, close up pictures of the card in question. We all know what a regular unlimited Mewtwo looks like, so there is no need to picture a comparison.

Here are 2 Mewtwo ebay links with halfway decent sets of pictures (no affilation). With pictures like this, everyone here can give you an immediate answer. Your pictures are wide shots, no good angles, no good lighting.

www.ebay.com/itm/Mewtwo-Holo-WOTC-1999-Base-Set-10-102-NM-LP-Pokemon-Card-Rare/174545979620?hash=item28a3c048e4:g:QdcAAOSwrDxfylF9

www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pokemon-Base-Set-Mewtwo-10-102-Holo-Rare-WoTC/274597569644?hash=item3fef4a646c:g:Z0wAAOSwy79fxsnX

But I will say, I am pretty sure it is fake based off one picture alone. As others have pointed out, I see a holo star burned into the pattern. That is impossible if there is no holo foil. The foil itself is what gives this off. Errors are missing all or portions of the holo pattern. Meaning there would be no stars. So that is almost certainly fake.

Oh and another edit: there were plenty of fake cards made back then. Plenty. Why? Hmm. Not sure. But they had 'em. Presumably for the same reason you see Chinese bootlegs now. They make em for pennies, sell for 1/5 MSRP whole boxes and such, and boom bada bing.

3 Likes

Fake as Kim Ks… personality :joy:

To confirm the case: that Mewtwo is fake.

For a second I thought you meant the card wasn’t quite as “sparkly” or “holo” as the other Mewtwo, which would be possible!

I once owned a Base Set Chansey which had very little sparkling going on, almost as if it was printed with another layer of “silver”, but the card still had a holo pattern going on. In the case of your Mewtwo, there is no pattern and it is really non-holo, which is unfortunately a fake.

2 Likes

Someone photocopied a real Mewtwo.

4 Likes

Wel darn hope its not fake but I would not at all be surprised. I’ll put some better quality pictures up. The lighting was bad in the garage last night. Thanks for your input. Will I still be charged by cgc of they deem the card counterfeit?

Yes, and if the consensus in here is fake… it’s fake.

I remember seeing fakes like this when I was a kid(1999) I saw more fakes of the big 2 though. They were definitely around back then.

1 Like