Shiny Mew cards; how many are there?

I love a blue Mew. I’m hoping to collect as many as I can, starting with just one of each of the different arts before I move on to first editions and different languages. As far as I can tell there’s only 3 different pictures…shining Mew, the coro coro shiny Mew and the Mew gold star delta species card.

Am I missing any others?

4 Likes

There is a 2006 World Championship version of the Delta Species Mew as well. If you care to collect a variation of a card that already exists.

1 Like

In terms of distinct artworks there are just the three you’ve mentioned (assuming the first Shining Mew refers to the Shining Legends 40/73 one).

If you are looking for all variations of these cards, there are:

Three variations for the Japanese CoroCoro Shining Mew:

Source

Seven variations for the Mew Gold Star of EX Dragon Frontiers:

Eight variations for the Shining Mew of SM Shining Legends:

• English
  • Japanese unlimited edition
  • German
  • French
  • Italian
  • Spanish
  • (Brazilian) Portuguese
  • Korean

I’m pretty sure these are all, but maybe @lof102 or @skinst who both collect Mews know more?

Greetz,
Quuador

12 Likes

It should be noted that the variations of the shining Mew above are uncomfirmed to this date, since no one knows if it was merely a printing error, the lighting of the shot, or something else.

Other than that, none I can think of right now.

3 Likes

Like @quuador and @skinst said with a small addition, there is also a Portuguese Shining Mew from Shining Legends (@quuador … you should have known!)

I got most of them:

4 Likes

Oops… Not sure what happened, since I did check my Pikachu list… I just checked again, and I indeed have both Portuguese Shining Legends Pikachus. Guess this rough week at work even left me partially blind… I’m glad it’s almost weekend.

Thanks for the correction, I’ve also edited my post above.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Did this answered you question @queendrifloon?

1 Like

Yes, and thank you all! I’m curious about the varied holo patterns in the coro coro Mew, whether some are harder to find than others or if it wasn’t a deliberate choice on the part of the card makers.

2 Likes

The one in the middle is the most common one. The other two I’ve only seen once (in that picture / auction). If there are more copies of the other two out there and it isn’t a one-time occurrence, I still assume the one in the middle is at least 99.9% more common to find.

Greetz,
Quuador

Let’s put it this way:

Nearly everyone on this board has either had a ton of these cards at some point and/or graded a few of them, and those holo prints were only ever found ONCE on Y!Auctions with pretty bad photos. I’ve discussed this at length in the past - while I can’t be completely certain it was the lighting of the photos (as I’m no expert) I find it very hard to believe that if these were a legitimate error, that there would be no more of them around. This card was mass printed much the same way the Ancient Mew cards were (and close to the same time too) and the different kinds of holo prints on them have been widely documented.

To be frank, it feels much like holo bleed errors in that they exist, but there could be so many varieties that it would be near impossible to find every single individual different print.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts on this ‘error’. Until I either see another come up for auction that isn’t a potato image with clear photos from all angles, or find one myself? I’m saying that it’s probably a holo bleed like error, or merely the way the photo was taken. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

I can’t figure out which of the variants this one is:
Source
It doesn’t have foiling all over so it should be the one from the left, but it still looks different, doesn’t it?

The middle one indeed has the foiling from top to bottom, so that’s not like yours. Is your cardstock glossy or matte? I can’t make it out from the lighting.

Hmm, it indeed looks like a fourth variation. The holo pattern is similar as the middle one, but it lacks the additional foil layer on top of the entire card.

EDIT: Contacted the seller (mainly to ask if he’d ship it to The Netherlands, but also whether the entire card is holo or only the picture). He replied that the holo goes over the entire card, so I guess it’s just a regular Shining Mew and not a misprint.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Glad we could figure that out :blush:Interesting though that the holo isn’t visible on the whole card in his pictures.So it is the middle one.

It all comes down to lighting. When you have the middle card in person you can barely see the holo across the entire card.
If you take a flashlight and point it directly at the card, it sparkles like a crazy fairytale wonderland. Lighting is everything with this card.

2 Likes

I had no idea coro coro shining mew had different variations! Learning something new every day!

Well, as @skinst said, it’s never confirmed. That picture are the only ones I’ve seen so far, so not sure if they’re one-of-a-kind occurrences, actual misprints with multiple copies out there, or just altered/fake cards instead.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Actually, if you look closely at both photos, you can see the splotches on the artwork that show the holographic print.

I HIGHLY suspect that it’s all lighting when it comes to the photos. I’m tempted to take out my own copy and do a photoshoot, rofl.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I know it’s kind of a necro, but it seems that last messages emphasized on the variations of CoroCoro Shning Mew being unconfirmed.

I have recently acquired this, and thought it may interest you :blush: I know lighting does everything with that card, so both pics are with flash, and what you see is consistent with all angles lights tested. I can take more pics if you want.

Shining Mew (regular)

Shining Mew (only cosmo)

2 Likes

I have no idea if the issue applied to this card but there seems to be a possibility that some of these types of different holofoil variants (such as shatter Holos) have a layer of Holo pattern on top of the more standard cosmos type foil. Which could potentially be removed, so it would be interesting to know whether that is applicable here.

1 Like