Misprint or washed out?

Hi everyone, it’s been a while!

Someone sent me this pic recently, claiming it was a genuine misprint card and not just a card that had spent too much time in the sun.

They were pretty insistent on the fact that it had been printed without magenta, and that you’d never get that result on a card that had its colours washed out from exposure to the sun. But such a misprint seems a bit too convenient (a bluer Shining Mew? That’s like a shinier shiny!) and I have seen cards that have turned into strange palettes after taking sunlight for too long. I’ve also heard you can get some funky results by exposing the card’s surface to specific chemical substances.

How would you guys go about telling the difference between a genuine misprint and a normal card that just had its colours washed-out?
Have you ever seen confirmed examples of cards that were misprinted without one of their CMY colours? (most relevant to this specific case would be an example of a Japanese card, but examples in other languages might help too)

Help from experts collectors or printing professionals would be most welcome :grin:

4 Likes

I’d just stay away from miscoloured cards, the fact that it can be replicated by using the sun and chemicals takes away all appeal

7 Likes

Was the guy claiming it was a misprint from Italy by any chance?

Not particularly, no. Have you heard of such misprints coming from Italy? (or is there a joke I missed? :stuck_out_tongue: )

I know there is someone on Instagram who has been sun fading his shining mew card to see if they can replicate this look and somewhat bust this error/misprint thing, so far 30 days in and theirs is looking pretty similar to that “misprint” My guess is it is sun faded but I can’t say for sure.

1 Like

ahahha no, there’s no joke. Just curious since there was an italian guy selling a similar shining mew and he was blasted on the comments on fb when he said it was a misprint

hard pass

1 Like

Do you happen to know who? I would be interested in following there findings

Sun faded

2 Likes

To be 100% sure you will have to ask for high res zoomed pics, and check the ink dots for some faded magenta. Also the yellow will be faded too. First to be removed from sunlight will be magenta, then yellow, then cyan.

1 Like

Also if he was pretty insistent it’s a red flag. Just don’t buy this it’s a damaged card. Or buy it but at low price.

This is a freaking cool mew. Just buy it or DM me then I will buy it. Thanks.

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Coro-Coro-Shining-Mew-Blue-Gold-Star-Misprint-/274323174148?item=274323174148&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=udf%252BLwYTBQxgMS1TUK5lfkstUA8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Pretty certain it is sun faded just like this listing(look at the description)

Just get a shining mew in average condition for $30-50 and sun fade it if you really want lol

1 Like

Just to add another evidence: a guy in Italy took a played mew and left it in the sun for about a month to prove that this kind of card is indeed sun faded and got the blue mew as the one in the pic^^

1 Like

Its meeeeeee… After just 15 days in the shite UK sunlight it was noticable. Its something I’ve been adding to my instagram story. Also the user ‘italian_dragonite’ has done it.
These are 100% sun faded… Anyone trying to pass them off as genuine are trying to pull a fast one…

4 Likes

Keep in mind the UK isn’t known for its sun… This has been in a window for 62 days now… Sleeved and in a toploader.
IMAG7018 by Simon, on Flickr

4 Likes

100% Agree with simon here…i also had a japanese seller explain to me that these are/have been altered using Nailbar UV lights!! i have no idea if this is true but it was enough to put me off buying the card on YJ. After both tests that have happened i am confident that its sun faded and NOT in any way an error.

1 Like

This card should not fetch any kind of premium and should be sold as damaged/played, but the card is cool nonetheless

Definitely sun faded, just like that Neo Suicune from Cardhouse