Set of the Fortnight #47 - Jungle

The random picker decided to pick one of the newest sets last time, and one of the earliest sets this time:

Jungle
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Jungle_(TCG)
Discuss:
Favorite cards in the 'set’Worst cards in the 'set’How you feel about this ‘set’ in general
Jungle was the second English set of the Pokémon TCG, released on June 16th, 19999. It was also the first set to have a Prerelease card, which was Clefable in this case. Since everyone probably knows about this set, I’ll won’t go into too much detail here. So, let’s discuss everything you want about the set, including our favorites cards, least favorite cards, or most memorable card for whatever personal reason. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

8 Likes

Definitely an under appreciated set to me, I think this is where they actually started putting effort into the artwork. Especially with the commons/uncommons

4 Likes

My favorite card from the set is the Holofoil Jolteon. I might be biased since it was the first card I pulled from the set as a kid, but I also just love the way it looks. I’m therefore also happy I pulled a 1st edition Portuguese one a few years back when I opened three sealed packs in search for the Pikachu. :blush:
A close second is it’s brother/sister Flareon:

Some other non-Holo cards that are among my favorites are:

Greetz,
Quuador

9 Likes

I actually get more nostalgia from Jungle than Base Set.

I still remember being a nine-year old kid visiting my grandmother and sitting outside with the neighbor kid who was also nine. We both had our binders out and we were going through the new Jungle cards (Jungle had just come out at the time). I remember seeing artworks like Exeggutor, Butterfree, Weepinbell, etc. and falling in love.

Those are the moments I always wish I can recapture.

8 Likes

Definitely my all time favorite set. I can’t find a single card that I dislike and I appreciate how small the set is in quantity as it gets straight to the point. Let me share from my personal collection, and if anyone disagrees you shall receive a small hole in your sweater in 3-4 months.
#OGMoth #MothmanCanSuckIt

12 Likes

The ultimate set of the original releases. Quuador, the Flareon was my muse as a child. Obsessed with that, favorite holo no doubt, right alongside Mr. Mime.

For my absolute favorite card in the set, I’d say it easily goes to Exeggutor and Persian, in a tie. Favorite Mon’s, check. Absurdly beautiful Himeno art, check.

You included some, so I’ll include these other beauts that we all should be reminded of at every mention of this set.

Cubone, Meowth, Primeape, and Weepinbell follow in immediate honorable mention.

I’d argue it is the most cohesive set ever made, maybe for a tie with Aquapolis.

Short and sweet, Jungle.

6 Likes

@brendantheclayboy

Imagine how beautiful Persian would have been as a holo with that artwork?

4 Likes

I’d pay $500+ for that card, @mjs61290. I wish… Gawd, I wish.

4 Likes

Jungle Butterfree is my favourite Pokémon card and has been for a very long time. It has everything I could possibly want from an artwork: blue skies, a meadow, flowers and a cute little butterfly Pokémon just going about its business.

Oddish from Jungle is also a favourite of mine, though I don’t really know what it is that draws me to this card.

6 Likes

@pichufan

Couldn’t agree more on Butterfree. It is definitely a candidate for best artwork of all-time, in my opinion. At least for set cards, anyway. It’s just so peaceful.

1 Like

100% same here. I vividly remember picking up those dark green Jungle packs with my mom at the toy store. I don’t have as strong memories towards Base.

Wholeheartedly agree. Base holos are for the stonkers, Jungle non-holos are for the artwork appreciators :blush:

Yes, yes and yes. Himeno rightfully deserves most of the praise for Jungle. It’s almost as much “her” set as 1997 Carddass is Sugimori’s. She’s the one that gave it that special magical flavour.
And you’re SO right with your last two points: having a set that gets straight to the point of its theme, with 100% quality and no unnecessary fluff, is an underrated quality for sure - and barely ever again has it been done as well as in Jungle.

Since Jungle is my favorite set (ever so slightly ahead of Vending), I love basically all cards of this little gem of a set. I’ll just highlight a few from the artists other than Himeno.

… and let’s not forget the 1st Edition Ivy Pika. Not only for the first Pikachu TCG artwork ever released, but most importantly for one of the most interesting release stories in all of Pokemon.

7 Likes

Wow, so excited to see some Venemoth love! Such an underrated Pokemon.

2 Likes

Was so excited for Jungle. When I watched the anime and saw Scyther, it became an instant favorite, so I was super pumped to see Scyther on the pack art:

That being said, my other favorite card was Flareon - with the rainbow background and Himeno’s classic style, it was a wanted card for a long while:

Himeno’s Pidgeot too also got some fantastic attention to it:

9 Likes

I’m probably not smart trying to time a market, but I’m excited to pick up some Jungle PSA graded cards at a hopeful discount as PSA clears things out. Favorite cards for me have to be Scyther, Snorlax, and Flareon. Would love to own a red logo box at some point too, but will settle for an art set.

2 Likes

I’m adding another artwork to underline above points.
It’s just beautiful. And it’s a common card!

5 Likes

I agree that the Himeno art is the best part of Jungle. Really beautiful art and they all feel like they go together.

I had a lot of mixed feelings about this set as a kid. I had terrible luck with boosters throughout my whole youth. I pulled very few holos and the majority of the disappointment I still remember from that time was from getting non-holos from Jungle packs, which were some of the only packs in supply by the time I was fully invested in to the hobby.

To this day I have really negative feelings towards the non-holos of this set and wish they did not exist. Non-holo Vaporeon in particular is such a downer and I hate looking at it.

Both Jungle and Fossil have a similar problem for me where I feel like there is no “star” of the set. Jungle has the Eevees and Fossil has the Birds, which I think was probably a deliberate structure. But I don’t know, neither set feels like it has a crown jewel and I feel that more strongly towards Jungle.

My favorite cards from this set are Jolteon (which I vividly remember someone showing me for the first time, unprompted, as I walked by their house) and Flareon, which is just a beautiful card.

2 Likes

My favorite cards in the set are the holo Vaporeon and Flareon. Also a fan of Persian. Jungle was my first exposure to the TCG that I can really remember. I have memories of opening Jungle as a kid and pulling the Pinsir holo.

My favorite holos from this set are:

1. Vileplume
  2. Kangaskhan
  3. Jolteon

I have more nostalgic memories with the Fossil set but some of the non-holo artworks in this set are amazing (Lickitung, Cubone, Exeggutor).

1 Like

Vileplume was my first 1st Edition. At the time I did not know what 1st Editions were and as a small child I did not have the perceptive ability to even see it. An older kid traded me a Chansey for it, which at first I was elated about because Base Set holos were really rare. But I think the very next day I found out what 1st Editions were and realized I had one of those and cried until the other kid traded me back.

I love that card.

3 Likes

The artwork is so simple but mesmerizing haha. I love the deep green of the holo background with the color of the surrounding card. I also love the contrast with the red of Vileplume’s head (and the HP/Special lettering as well).

1 Like