Undervalued Thread

This is a thread is for anyone to post a card/item they think is undervalued at the current price.

1. What card/item do you think is undervalued?

2. Why do you think it is undervalued?

(The only rule is that you aren’t allowed to post anything from SMPratte’s Patreon MMR)

3 Likes

Normally I would never be so free with this information but I’m feeling very generous: everything I have is undervalued, everything I want is overvalued.

40 Likes

I think PSA 8 1st Edition Neo Genesis holos are undervalued because:

1. It’s the 1st edition base equivalent of Gen 2
  2. Populations are relatively low and comparable to 1st edition base
  3. Sealed booster packs are expensive and grade 8s are way cheaper
  4. Pack fresh cards have a higher chance than normal of getting grade 8 than 9/10 because of print lines
  5. It’s the first appearance of Gen 2 starters that people grew up with in the games, which most people played before Pokemon started dying off
  6. Grade 8s are way cheaper than 9s despite the PSA pops not being miles apart
  7. 10s are already unobtainable for most people so they will have to resort to 8/9s
  8. Artwork is S-tier
  9. Neo Genesis is currently voted 5th best WOTC set on the efour poll
15 Likes

Jokes aside, I do think you’re on to something here with the Neo era in general.

Neo had a little bit of a moment during the pandemic, but I think it’s set in a unique position in the Pokémania timeline. Lots of young TCG collectors fell off right around the shift from Gen 1 to Gen 2, but they still played Pokémon Gold & Silver. This creates an era of cards that a lot of them were aware of but did not own, for Pokémon that they liked but did not collect, and their lack of popularity when they were contemporary creates an era of cards not as well preserved in binder collections.

When I finished my Gen 1 collection as an adult, which was the definitive end of the cards I collected as a kid, I had a decision to make. I could call my collection “complete” and move on to eccentricities that interested me, or I could continue where I left off as a kid. I decided the fun of continuing where I left off and picking up Gen 2 cards would be really rewarding and this ended up true. While the e-Series cards can be divisive, the Neo era of cards is really spectacular and easy to love. I think they’re exactly the kind of thing that draws the attention of returning fans with maturing collections.

Maybe you came back to collect all those Gen 1 Pokémon sets from when you were a kid, but where do you go when you’re done? A logical option is Gen 2, which is a really exciting endeavor. I have always kind of have the idea that returning collectors finishing their Gen 1 sets would answer the call of Neo Genesis and beyond and we’d see a renaissance of Neo cards.

This definitely happened in the pandemic where lots of Neo cards went 3x, 5x, etc. But I don’t know how much of that is the pandemic boost that affected most cards and where they might go from here. I will say they the few Neo cards I still need are not diminishing in their prices like I wish they would. Maybe some of these prices are here to stay.

1 Like

The good old how to stonk thread.

The problem I have with that is that almost 200 (28%) PSA 8 Lugia’s were added year-over-year, about 65 (17%) for PSA 9 and 1 (2%) for PSA 10. It’s though to argue that a card is a good stonk when its value is rapidly shrinking and its population is rapidly growing. On the flip side, given the (lack of) difference in eye appeal, PSA 10 stonkers really are betting on the growing desirability of a label.

What could be more desirable than the label? The card? As if.

1 Like

Glaceon Snowflake stamp from countdown calendar promo. It’s a $20-$30 card in damaged condition, $50-$75 in nice condition. Given it’s rarity and that most copies are damaged, I think it should be well over $100 in decent shape (33%-50%+ undervalued).

Going to laugh at this next one. How are flat V ultra rare cards less than $1? A booster pack MSRP is $4, you get not just a holo hit, but an “ULTRA RARE” as Pokémon calls it, and you only get 25% of the sealed pack value back. Seems strange to me. This is a knock at TPCI for calling garbage hits an “ultra rare.” I hope the gen 9 sets do something a little different than having non holo, holo, and flat V cards making up a very high % of the packs you open, and very few being hits desirable.

1 Like

Strangely I had such a different experience. Fell off after Gen 1 in terms of card collection and was more obsessed with yugioh. Still loved the video games and gold/crystal I played non stop as a kid and are my favourite games. Have nothing against gen 2 and actually think it’s a really strong gen. But, the few cards I do have from gen 2 are ones I have no sentimental or nostalgic connection too and so I’ve sold or plan to sell. All but one which I may post in the card story/memory thread about.

agree they are quite undervalued though

Don’t really agree with this part.

The majority of Neo Genesis holos are just Sugimori stock arts with a bland background (similar to Base Set). Definitely the weakest art of the Neo era, in my opinion.

I also don’t think there is a “1st Edition Base equivalent.” While I understand what you are saying (it was the first Gen 2 set), 1st Edition Base is in a class of its own. It was the first set. Period. I don’t think any set can be used as a direct comparison to 1st Edition Base.

5 Likes

Little confused by this. The PSA 10 pop isn’t rapidly rising for Lugia - its 43 out of 2541 or 1.7% gem rate. That kind of super low pop and cost of sealed to get more generally means valuable. More 8s and and 9s just make the 10s more rare/valuable.

2 Likes

1st sets of a new era always amp up the print run to make sure people can play in the new format too. Neo genesis seems to have way more boxes than the others. If anything neo discovery is undervalued by these standards not neo genesis. Genesis seems to be overhyped honestly

1 Like

I’ll throw the secret rare tmta jirachi in here

First appearance of a legendary pokemon
Last eseries card english
Great art similar to exped mew and skyridge celebi by arita
Low pop
Low print set
Secret rare but not a box topper

9 Likes

VS series cards, specifically Whitney’s Furret.

7 Likes

Saw you commented here and was hoping you said just that!

1 Like

I think Japanese cards in general are a bit undervalued. For example, I made a whole collection of the holografic base set PSA 9 for a ridiculous price. It happens not only with the base set, but most collections in general and sometimes the Japanese holo design is even better than the English one!

4 Likes

To enlighten any newbie, I think this life altering picture should be restated regularly :

6 Likes

I was referring particularly to the first WOTC era holo sets where Japanese and English sets had different holo patterns, as most people have understand even yourself, but thank you for your enlightening comment I hope it made you feel superior in any way and enlightened your day!

1 Like

Newbie me was going to buy English Umbreon not too long ago before seeing this picture in a similar context. It helped a lot and I think it can help others too. I wasn’t implying that I can teach you anything.

If it was so my apologies then, without knowing the context it could have been easily understood in the other way as I did :stuck_out_tongue:

Full art textured V cards and non alt art textured cards in general. Gold item cards are nice too. So many are under $10 its pretty crazy.

2 Likes