The most undervalued Pokemon cards

Just curious on what people feel are some undervalued cards within the Pokemon pantheon

Team Rocket
The sheer art of Dark Dugtrio.

Aquapolis
The prices for the holographic Entei, Suicune and Raikou are still baffling to me

WOTC Black Star Promo
Sealed Entei.

Neo Destiny
Whether it’s 1st edition or not, the Light Dragonite always gets me, more so due unique artwork.

Team Rocket Returns
Without a doubt, Dark Dragonite.

Just curious what people’s opinions are? Especially as there’s some holographic cards which I feel to be criminally undervalued, underrated - and dare I say underappreciated.

17 Likes

Hmm, I think undervaluation - if there even is such a thing in an open Pokemon market - really depends on your benchmark. Compared to the 1st Edition Base Charizard almost every other card is undervalued.
But on that basis I’d start by saying that all the old back Japanese set cards are undervalued. They’re the originals after all.

16 Likes

Aquapolis psa 10s. Most cards are under 30 and cost less than $200, its criminal compared to jungle/fossil cards.

12 Likes

Many of the old Japanese promos are severely underrated in my opinion. Especially those with Japanese exclusive art. I recently picked up all he E-series T-trainer promos and they are amazing.

But also other cards, for instance the oldback promo Pikachu and Jigglypuff that literally were the very first Pokemon TCG cards ever released back in October 1996. They can still be bought in raw condition for just a few dollars. Even though they may not be crazy rare, these should be considered staples that I feel every collector should want (although evidently that is not the case). And then it is quite funny that the very first Pikachu card has an error in the illustration name, which was corrected in a subsequent non-glossy version released shortly after.

6 Likes

Please refer to the following internet link!

3 Likes

My whole collection

11 Likes

In my opinion, I think old Japanese Holos. I bought a PSA 10 Blaine’s Arcanine for $55 and Moltres for $40 Also a PSA 10 Base Charizard at auction for $355(in the last 6 months)… I think they are way undervalued.

3 Likes

What kind of holes do you collect?

25 Likes

I think a lot of the Shadowless cards are undervalued.

I’ve been purchasing rare and uncommon cards in PSA 10 for $20-$40. I’ll buy those up all day.

3 Likes

There’s a weird conflation of undervalued and underappreciated happening here. I would say all the cards posted in the OP are appropriately “valued” but underappreciated is definitely more subjective

12 Likes

There is nothing unexamined about these cards. WOTC holos are literally the most popular cards in the hobby, and information about them is readily available.

Hey, keep this a family friendly forum

6 Likes

If you talk about undervalue in price and consideration about wotc English… this card have one of the most potential in % of increase in value and consideration in the hobby. Is criminal undervalue also at the price have now. The reason why? A thousand reasons.
Lugia 1ed neo genesis gem mint.

3 Likes

I’d say most error cards due to their rarity, and literally every single 1st Ed Base set Holo comparative to the orange dragon

1 Like

I love every single artwork on the 1997 carddass series. Never seen such cool classic art work like that entire series. Definitely my favorite and definitely underrated.

8 Likes

A lot of my most favourite art is from the Gym Heroes set :blush: but Neo destiny looks cool asf too (can’t forget Jungle and team rocket either…Ugh so much badass art!)

2 Likes

Team Rocket 1st Edition can still go cheap, yes there is plenty of supply but gorgeous artworks and set overall.

6 Likes

lol, whole*

1 Like

Japanese Neo Genesis Booster Pack-$40
PSA Grading Price $8
3-4 Months Time Spent
Majority of Neo Genesis PSA 10s Under $40
Hmmmm :thinking:
Gets worse Neo 2, 3 & 4

1 Like

Undervalued is really hard to say honestly, being that many cards that I run through (mainly set cards, sometimes promos) all seem to be in the right place currently for price. Some I dont understand though, like a lot of Neo Genesis 1st edition holos being readily available and extremely affordable (I mean, bellossom, ampharos, azumarill, togetic for example are ridiculously easy to grab for cheap) as well as some from Fossil/Jungle, but i feel in time they might find a price range higher up.

In terms of under appreciated, that I can speak to more at lengths and by far Id have to vote for loads of the holos in Expedition, Aquapolis, and Skyridge. Skyridge is more the chased after set, so that already has a higher backing, but the others have some of the most adorable and intricate artwork ive seen for a lot of the pokemon. I only recently started getting into those myself, but by far theres a ton to appreciate there, as i feel a lot of the artwork nearly brings the images to life as opposed to some of the early card work (ie Pichu Neo Genesis vs Pichu Expedition, or Azumarill Neo Genesis vs Azumarill Aquapolis).