Set of the Fortnight #47 - Jungle

Technically all our Jungle cards are pre-release by 18,000 years. Damn, I was enjoying them being vintage. :slightly_frowning_face:

Great set and brings back memories collecting these cards.

I might give myself a challenge and collect the full set of these. Got 4 already so I’m on my way. LOL.

3 Likes

One of my absolute favourite sets. I remember being about 8/9 when it came out. I was staying with a friend in Australia and we spent all of my holiday pocket money on packs and pulled the holo clefable. Still have it to this day and is a favourite even though I’ve got a much nicer graded copy just for the nostalgia.

Never understood why butterfree wasn’t holo but Venemoth was though. Always wished it was the other way round. That Butterfree art as holo would be amazing.

1 Like

I’m going to echo what others have said (but hopefully can add something to the convo). There aren’t really that many, if any cards at all in this set that really stand out - but overall, the art is a big step up from the previous set, which is almost universally considered pretty bland.

This set seems to be an the evolutionary link between the gym and neo series art and the base set art - you can see the art starting to tell mini-stories while being more detailed and complex, like the butterfree, executor, and goldeen on the previous page.

IMHO, the holo pattern is a little crude on these sets - even holos in good condition seem to have this “blurred” effect because of the holo pattern, and it often overwhelms the background art - a problem which occasionally arose in the neo series sets, like the neo holo porygon 2.

1 Like

no symbol is goated it looks just like base set WOWW so good this is surely to skyrocket in price over the several years.
yes I own some of these in psa 10

In my opinion the best holos are as follows:

1. Flareon
  2. Scyther
  3. Pidgeot
  4. Vaporeon
  5. Jolteon
  6. Snorlax
  7. Pinsir

the rest are pretty abysmal…

also scratch error pinsir is super cool and surely to dramatically rise in value as well

I think the no symbol error is pretty cool. Interesting how an entire set’s holos could have that happen on some sheets. Top favorites from the set for me are Scyther and Nidoqueen

1 Like

My favourite arts are:

1. Clefable
  2. Pidgeot
  3. Primeape
  4. Rhydon
  5. Tauros
1 Like

Never seen a no symbol before last year when I walked into a store that had 3 FULL SETS PACK PULLED!
needless to say I bought 2 of the 3 and one went to the og gemmintpokemon because I know he is a big fan. But seriously those 3 sets were all 9 or better quality. Im sure he will make a video on it when they come back it was wild

How much did you snag the sets for?

it was 1k each at the time and I regret not buying all 3

There are some really nice cards in here, and I always get that sense of nostalgia for the outdoors/rainforest feeling when I look at these. There is a reason why the jungle book and other texts entrall the reader, it takes you to the wild tropical jungles which is different to the boring english/european or american cold dry landscape. Colour and life.

Thats what I love about the eevee evolutions here, they fit right into that motif.

Having said that should there be a bigger difference between 1st editions and unlimited because they are both pretty pricey here in Aus but I assumed 1st edition wasnt that rare.

1 Like

Jungle is in my top 5 favorite sets of all time. The holographic cards are beautiful. Flareon has an amazing color background, however it’s still amazing even though the foiling pattern doesn’t “pop” as much. Pidgeot has to be my favorite WotC holo card, the holo is amazing. I’m stuck and can’t decide if I like Base 2 or Jungle Pidgeot better. And Butterfree, is there really an explication needed. Jungle is a set heavy with Himeno art, and it’s just glorious. And a personal note, Jungle Pikachu was always my “main/base” Pikachu card. I remember rarely seeing base Pikachu even though it was still a common,and always always seeing stacks of Jungle Pikachu when grading kids on the bus and in the bathrooms! :grin:

5 Likes