Set of the Fortnight #39 - EX FireRed & LeafGreen

It’s been a while again. The random set picker has chosen EX FireRed & LeafGreen this time. It seems to have a preference for EX sets lately. :wink:

EX FireRed & LeafGreen
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EX_FireRed_%26_LeafGreen_(TCG)
Discuss:
Favorite cards in the setWorst cards in the setHow you feel about this set in general
EX Power Keepers was the sixth set of the EX era, released in English on August 30, 2004 and in Japanese by the name Flight of Legends on April 9, 2004. The set is based on the gameboy game by the same name, featuring the generation 1 starter Pokémon evolutions and Pikachu.

Greetz,
Quuador

8 Likes

There aren’t a lot of cards really standing out for me personally, except maybe the Squirtle:

Some others I like are the Onix that’s rushing towards you in the artwork, as well as the colorful Beedrill:

And of course the cuddly Pikachu. :blush:

Oh, and is it me, or does the face of the Tauros look weird in this set?..

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Without a doubt the best ex-set in my opinion. Gen 1 for life! Some of the cards I like the most:

7 Likes

@joakim Thanks for sharing. Now I want that Executor, Beedrill and Kangaskhan haha. I only collected the ex’s from this set and others. I love the gen 1 starter ex’s! This is one of my favorite ex sets if not favorite. Other notable ex sets I love are ex dragon. Ex Dragon Frontiers. Ex Unseen Forces :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is one of the EX sets that’s grown on me a lot. One of my favorites that hasn’t been listed is Articuno EX:

I also like this art style from Kusube which is similar to her art in VS set for Lance’s Pokemon:

4 Likes

One of my favorite sets! I’ve almost completed a master set–unfortunately missing the three most expensive cards (the starter ex’s) and two regular holos.

I have some real love for this Pidgeot, since I used to play the trading card game as a kid and it was very commonly used (the artwork is stellar, as well).

I also like the contrast of blue & green on the Dewgong.

4 Likes

Really great set, and also where the EX era starts getting expensive…The first five sets (RS, SS, DR, MA, & HL) are all cheap as dirt to collect. Each of them, in NM/M condition, can be put together for under $500, which includes all the reverses, exs, holos, everything. FRLG is closer to triple that. There are some very expensive reverse holos, and the exs are far more expensive than ones from the previous 5 sets (and there are 11 of them). Of course, once you get to TRR, FRLG ends up seeming super cheap.

1 Like

This has always been the best spearow card made.

1 Like

Stop the trolling. Charizard is CLEARLY the best card within the every set.

As for worst card, there’s a few awful ones but slowbro definitely sticks out.

1 Like

One of the most commons Ex’s yet my favorite from this set!

5 Likes

If you have read my post in the E4 collector story thread you know that this set is very special to me. It’s also one of few sets that I have completed, with the EX cards in PSA 9 and the rest in a binder. There are some great artwork in the set so picking a few favorites was difficult but I went with these:

4 Likes

Hey punk, if you got a problem with my friends’ faces, why don’t you say it to their faces?

8 Likes

A good amount of decent artworks imo. For ones not yet mentioned, I really like the Fukuda Meowth doing its thing on this cobbled path.

But that Squirtle really is such a standout. Surely the best Squirlte artwork ever? Hang on, thats reminds me…

www.elitefourum.com/t/lets-play-a-game-tournament-of-the-art-squirtle/26603/1

2 Likes

Ah yes. Fire Red & Leaf Green is such a great set. Lots of nice artwork all around. I recently picked up some cards from the set as the amount of cards I have in my binder set is embarrassingly low…

Anyways here are some of my favorites:

1 Like

This set placed a significant stamp on the 2006 format of competitive Pokémon TCG. Cards like Pidgeot, Blastoise ex, Nidoqueen, and Celio’s Network were important in that era and garnered the attention that they should for obvious reasons - just read Pidgeot’s and Blastoise ex’s PokéPowers, for example!

RG follows Hidden Legends by including a similar reverse pattern with Energy symbols within the artwork, although this time of varying sizes and scattered in comparison to the line-by-line style in HL. The large Energy symbol on Reverse Rares on the text of the card in HL were replaced with Poké Balls for RG and is the only set that has this kind of pattern. Lastly, RG includes “stained glass” foiling for the Bird Trio as HL did for the Regi Trio.

Does anyone subconsciously think that RG turns a page in the ex era because of its devotion to Kanto Pokémon? I feel that it does, but the similarities between HL and RG are observable that it either looks like it shouldn’t be, or that the transition between the two sets (and regions to an extent) is seamless.

2 Likes

Excuse me.

8 Likes

I was told the print run for this individual set was a little bigger. Probably due to people really liking it

Has more to do with the videogame release. TV commercials around the time a game with the same name released made the demand more.

one of my top sets in the ex era. besides it being the kanto pokemon this set was the set that actually got me back into playing pokemon and being a collector for the cards. the art for some of the pokemon were just beautiful and the reverses stuck out a lot for me getting back into the game. Pidgeot played a big part in the competitive play for 2 whole years cause of its ability and it won 2 world championships with nidoqueen & blastise ex in the following 2006 season.

plus this set was very good to release it just days away from when the video game was released. the artwork on the boosters were just out of the open and of course charizard in there.

tfw no1 mentioned kusube cubone

this is also top 1 ivysaur art

4 Likes