Sellers overcharging for shipping - thoughts?

So I recently won an auction on ebay for some cards, nothing too expensive ($45CAD), and the seller charged me $30 for shipping. We both reside in Canada and I know shipping with tracking is about $10-$12. His other auctions were free shipping so I assumed this one was too and didn’t notice the extra $30 shipping charge, so that’s definitely my fault. I contacted him prior to paying saying maybe we can work something out because I know shipping is much cheaper and he said that’s how much it will most likely cost him to ship. Fast forward a few days and I get this message on ebay,

imgur.com/a/uxAt9dR

Signature and insurance was really not necessary for such a cheap package but whatever. Then he mentions a $6 “handling fee” just for going to the post office… I have never heard anyone including this in their shipping charges and was pretty taken back by it. I’m not even sure that’s allowed?? He offered me a $6 refund which was nice, but I know this seller is just overcharging shipping and pocketing the rest.
It’s actually been a few days since he offered the refund and I haven’t gotten it yet, so i’m not sure i’ll even see that.

I also bought another small 8 card lot on ebay which I paid $15 for shipping and the seller shipped it in a white envelope with a $1 stamp. Should I ask the seller to refund the other $14 that wasn’t even used to ship?

Just looking for some advice and thoughts from others. Thanks

@pokematt this comes up a lot. You’ll get split opinions on it. Honestly though, if you missed a listed $30 shipping charge that is posted in the listing just using your own words here…

Next when you bought the 8 card lot I almost can guarantee that you placed a bid factoring the $15 shipping into it, did you not?

E.g. if I see a card lot that I would pay $100 for I would bid $100 on a free shipping listing or $85 on a $15 shipping listing or $1 on a $99 shipping listing. The only thing that matters is the all in price. It is the same thing and honestly what the seller pays for shipping is irrelevant UNLESS they advertised $15 for priority mail or expedited service and then sent PWE or something. Then that is false advertisement and IMO you’d be due a difference in the cost of those services as you may have bought it needing the priority speed.

Further question - If the seller charges $5 shipping on an item and then comes back to you with a message that it actually is going to cost $15 to ship would you gladly send them an extra $10?

3 Likes

Tell him you require a $6 partial refund for the trouble of having to walk to your mailbox.

4 Likes

You’re right that when I bought the 8 card lot I did factor in the $15 shipping, but also expected it to be shipped with tracking and arrive quicker than it did considering what I paid for. I didn’t really expect to be almost conned out of $14 just so the seller can pocket the rest for himself either.

Regarding your further question, I think it depends. If I think it’s still a fair deal, the seller was courteous throughout our transaction, and he’s asking for a reasonable amount just so he doesn’t lose a lot on shipping, i’ll cover the extra $10. It’s funny you bring that up because just last week I bought some bulk off someone, he charged me $15 initially for shipping but then said it was costing him $30 to ship and if I could help cover the rest of the shipping and if not, he said it’s fine. I sent him the extra $15 for shipping no problem.

In my cases, I guess I felt I was just being deceived by the seller into giving them more money.

Hahaha I may have to use this one! :grin:

Honestly, if I see that kind of shipping charge I avoid it… All these cards come up or come up eventually. Its just patience thats all unless it is a super rare card/lot. It used to be people posting 99 cent buy it nows w/ $40 shipping to get profit and not get dinged by ebay’s fees…

Don’t let @garyis2000 see this thread!!! INB3TL

5 Likes

I got you covered @KingPokemon

9 Likes

Lol…thank you brother. You saved me a little time;)

It’s only $6, not worth worrying about - take the refund he offered and be happy you got something back.

1 Like

While in a lot of places on a listing it says “shipping” it is actually “shipping & handling”. It is a common thought of buyers that a sellers time for handling the item is free to them, when it isn’t, but the particularities of this industry sway from sellers being compensated and when they do charge are looked at differently, it is unfortunate our society molds these things. It is not against ebay policy to charge for handling, whether the seller is taking it as being so could be a topic of conversation but only that. Be more mindful with your next purchase and move on. The details are right in front of you to make a decision to buy or not.

3 Likes

I understand all of your perspectives as sellers, as well as I do think that OP is fully responsable for his purchase.
Still, charging 30$ shipping on a 45$ item (when tracked shipping is 12$ as OP said) is bullshit. His charge for “handling” can’t possibly be this high.
The seller clearly hopes that a buyer doesn’t notice it, but ends up buying it anyway because a refund isn’t worth the hussle to him. I don’t see another possible reason.

I know, this was already a hot topic in Gary’s thread weeks ago and I don’t want to start the fire again but sometimes you have to make distictions rather than only say “it’s okay as long as it’s legal”.

If you read the whole thing you’d know I didn’t know there was a $30 shipping charge cuz his other listings were free shipping and I bid on my phone and didn’t see the shipping charges until checkout when I went to pay… I think it’s absolutely ridiculous that a seller is going to charge “transportation fees” to drive the package to the post office. And if you’re going to also charge me for your “time” to pack an item I would just block you as a seller. Should I ask for a refund for the time I spent going to get the package and for the time I spend opening the package? This wasn’t a few dollars difference. I was overcharged almost $20, which probably just paid for his lunch on the way to the post office as well.

I agree it was my fault I didn’t notice the shipping charges, but also think he was just trying to make an extra few bucks from the charges as well. He even mentioned, “you already got a great deal on the cards and I shouldn’t be losing money because of that”…

I’ve just never heard someone charging for their “transportation costs” to bring the item to the post office… I’d like to know exactly how he calculated that as well lol

Just ask the seller to cancel that listing Matt. You made an honest mistake.

2 Likes

One thing @garyis2000 and I agree on is it is a good business practice to raise the price of the item and offer Free Shipping.

Because I don’t how you can’t feel slighted when you pay $4 shipping and receive a card no sleeve or any protection inside a re-used envelope with .47 postage.

2 Likes

Going to the post office isn’t exactly a breeze. He’s not doing it for fun. If you had to hire an assistant to do anything you didn’t have time for, you’d wind up paying him at least $8 an hour. He’s paying himself what it would cost to have it outsourced.

1 Like

The second case is bullshit. Happened to me before and I came close to claiming I didn’t receive the item. It was a good deal, but it’s safe to say I never bought from that seller again.

First one is your fault even if I don’t agree with that practice.

I have to agree handling charges are also fine, but it doesn’t cost $15 packaging and driving to the post office. He’s just losing potential customers… I usually lose a couple bucks due to fees and such.

1 Like

Going to the post office to ship an item is a part of selling, just like ebay fees are a part of selling. If he needed to hire an assistant to help him do work, he should also be paying for it, not me. I am paying for the item. I am not paying for every other expense he incurs to sell the item. And in this case as well, he lives right beside a post office. Didn’t take long to look that up and see it really doesn’t cost him much to walk over to the post office. We just have different views, I would never charge a buyer “gas money” if I’m the one selling the item. If you’re really that desperate you shouldn’t be selling.

1 Like

Well I usually charge $15 and still sometimes lose a couple bucks due to fees or they’re far/rural(NS, NL, etc…). I personally don’t have a problem paying up to $20 when I’m buying, but $30 is indeed pushing it.