EBAY Shipping advice

Hey everyone,

Am I being ridiculous or does anyone else think this is crazy? I bought two PSA cards and having them shipped to me in Canada, here is my invoice. Im Baffled, never had a shipping cost that high, EVER. is there anything I can do? thanks

Message seller and ask for first class international. Should be $10-15

Ill try that. Thanks :blush:

Do you have a request invoice option? That’s generally the way to go about these sorts of things, sometimes listings are defaulted to a certain shipping method but they can do other ones.

So I ended up paying it as he threatened to cancel the purchase if I didn’t just pay, not wanting to loose the item I paid. I received the package today and see that he only pay $24 shipping.

I have messaged the seller and not getting any response now.

Can I go to eBay or PayPal about this? That is half of what I paid.

Negative feedback. Overcharging for shipping is also against ToS so you can report them to ebay. You cannot get a refund.

www.ebay.com/gds/What-to-do-if-you-are-Overcharged-on-Shipping-Costs-/10000000020339544/g.html

3 Likes

This is a touchy subject here.

One faction says just look at the final cost and if you can live with that, just let it go. The other side agrees with you on that shipping cost being extreme.

The only option I see is leaving feedback that indicates expensive shipping, but if the seller disclosed their method of charging for shipping, you agreed to it by buying.

2 Likes

link goes to

This listing (**********) has been removed, or this item is not available.

Please check that you’ve entered the correct item number
Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

Weird, copied it and pasted and it worked fine. Tried editing it to properly link it since quick reply seems to suck often.

Edit: Nope still broken. So weird… It must be looking at the referrer.

1 Like

There’s a difference between being quoted $46 and the postage costing $46 and being quoted $46 and the postage costing half that.

Negative feedback and report it.

1 Like

Yes its a slightly grey area because they are allowed to charge handling fees. Ebay will need to determine that on their end and you should be using good judgement as to what constitutes gouging.

1 Like

Send him a message asking why you had to pay double the shipping cost. Tell him you don’t think it’s fair. Maybe you’ll get lucky and he’ll refund you the difference. Just don’t threaten to leave negative feedback because that will get you in trouble with ebay.

Best case scenario: You get the refund.
Worst case scenario: You don’t.

It’s a morally grey area whether or not you want leave negative feedback. You did agree to the shipping charges but on the other hand he clearly overcharged you to make a profit. I personally would leave negative feedback if the shipping label said less than $46.23 :blush:

Pic so people don’t think I’m lying.

How the information of shipping costs came about and when is important. Also, it isn’t a good practice to share the phone number of someone even if they are doing something you disagree with. I’m sure it was a mistake to do so, but an edit would be appropriate to blur that as well.

Two questions @colours.

1. Were the items purchased as “buy it now” listings with the shipping prices posted plainly to see and you were happy with the overall price; or did they sneak up on you somehow and you hadn’t already taken them into account and decided to purchase anyways?

2. When sellers ship to you for “free shipping” and then you get a similar package showing $24.65 in shipping fees do you make sure to reimburse them the $24.65?

Situations like this are all about degrees, and this one is pretty cut and dry. I get adding on a bit for handling, especially if someone is helping an international customer by not paying additional fees. However none of this is happening here.

I personally charge international customers $12-15 for 2 psa cards, fully tracked, no import fees. Priority is more expensive, and maybe this seller is not aware of first class delcon. Either way, you paid double which is unreasonable.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings on this. I understand what @garyis2000 says but it is human nature to feel perturbed when you buy 10 cards at $2 + 3 shipping each and you get charged $20 for cards and $30 for shipping.
And for $30 shipping you get 10 penny sleeves, some cardboard, lots of tape, envelope and $2 in postage, seems immoral.

I can get on board with it not being proper for the seller to do. In bad taste, yes. It can be even be argued that it is likely against eBay TOS, but we can’t be clear what his actual “handling fees” would be in this case. Note that eBay originally created the stipulation of not overcharging for shipping in their TOS because they originally didn’t charge FVF on shipping fees. People used to sell stuff for $1 with $99 shipping to avoid FVF. eBay changed and started charging FVF on shipping fees yet they left the bit about “fee avoidance” in their TOS when it comes to overcharging for shipping. It is nonsensical to still have that bit in there, but it in fact does remain there.

Back to this specific case though… OP even mentioned:

So OP was clearly happy with the total price. Ideally the seller should have gone back and changed it to $25 shipping and adjusted the items accordingly if that was the all in price he wanted to gather, which clearly he did. The buyer was clearly happy with the all in price. I say this is an open-shut deal with it scenario. The seller even offered to cancel the tx if the buyer didn’t want it.

OP went in knowing what he were getting and he got it. To complain after the fact seems inappropriate here. Leave a negative or low DSR? Sure if he wants to I guess. Entitled to get back money? No.

Edited sorry that was a mistake didn’t notice it.

1. won at auction and shipping was showing 24 shipping which was fine with me, so I bid and won the 2 auctions.

2. second question I don’t see as a valid question, If a seller is offering free shipping that is their choice, not mine. Choosing what to charge for shipping is a seller choice and should be morally responsible to charge the correct amount, and to someone like this for profit off it isn’t correct IMO.

I’ve sold on eBay and I’ve estimated wrong on the shipping by charging below the cost many times. I don’t go to the buyer and ask for extra as that was my mistake.

Oh, I think I see the big picture here, but correct me if I’m wrong Colours.

1. You were bidding on auctions, saw that the shipping was $24, which was reasonable (to you) and you assumed that the seller would combine shipping on the auction listings.

2. You won the auctions at a much lower than expected value to the seller. To compensate, the seller then increased shipping costs by giving little to no combined shipping on your two auctions, basically doubling the shipping costs.

3. The seller then threaten to cancel the auctions which will be a benefit to him, so you must absorb the shipping costs.

This is just my theory, but I’m guessing this is the full picture of what happened?

I’m not sure eBay sellers are or can be compelled to combine shipping. His listings appear to make no statement either for or against combined shipping. Clearly though he didn’t in your case, but he offered you an out if you wanted to not pay the shipping rate for each.

I am sure you were figuring on winning multiple and getting a cheaper unit shipping rate, but this is improper to do. It is entirely possible you could have won only one of those listings so the bids you placed should have reflected the potential to be summed with the shipping fee in its entirety, per item. Back when I used to charge shipping I would get people winning an auction then wanting to cancel as they had planned on grouping several items together for a unit shipping fee, which again is improper.

It is your prerogative whether or not you want to be perturbed or offended by it but he did you no injustice as you went into it willingly and when you placed the bids each item showed their according shipping rates. You can certainly leave what you feel is appropriate for feedback and DSR’s but again I don’t think you have any recourse to recoup the excess postage paid.