Ebay "stores" and shipment costs for customers

These ‘ebay stores’ are starting to frustrate me. I made a best offer to this person with only 7 sales in the last few months for a card, and they accepted my offer of $10. I asked if they could change the shipping to $0.70 because I don’t want to essentially pay an extra 50% of the card’s value in online tax and tracking(which is completely unnecessary imo for cards under $30 in value.) Then they reply “sorry our storefront only ships via USPS First Class with tracking.” How about maybe just do the same exact thing but don’t request tracking at the post office? I really don’t understand the point in making a customer pay these extra amounts when they’re only making $8-9 off the sale.
It’s also not like I’m a new ebay member. I think my account is over a few years old with recent reputation from 50+ different ebay members including sales too. This extra costs are starting to cheese me a bit :unamused:

Ebay Eula requires you as an seller to offer the cheapest option of shipping to your customer available if memory serves.

In their defense: untracked packages have a far larger tendency to get lost in the mail.

4 Likes

Actually its more paypal breathing down ones neck since they require you to provide shipping if you want to get the money directly otherwise you will be delayed by upto 21 days or untill the buyer says he got it.

I have yet to get a single package ‘lost in the mail’ with a PWE

Recently, a seller told me to pay $3.78 in shipping on a card I won in an auction for $3 or he would cancel. Does this really seem right to you? How does that make sense at all to anyone

Even if the package got ‘lost’ because the buyer is bad, what kind of storefront gets worried about a $2.70 dollar loss?

eBay/PayPal policy requires all shipments to be tracked. If the seller ships an item without tracking, it goes on their seller record and comes into play when they are evaluated for their seller rating once per quarter. In order to get “Top Rated” a seller needs to have tracking uploaded on time and validated for 95% or more of their transactions. I’ve sold a bunch of lower value cards without tracking before, but I regretted it when it bumped me out of Top Rated status (and therefore I had to pay more fees for 3 months).

The bottom line here is that as a buyer, if you decided to bid on/purchase an item while knowing the listed shipping price, you are not entitled to having the seller bend their rules for you. On the other hand, the seller should clearly list their shipping options/prices, and that can’t change once the buyer has confirmed their purchase.

My $0.02

3 Likes

“the seller should clearly list their shipping options/prices, and that can’t change once the buyer has confirmed their purchase.” agreed

also I guess I can understand this top rated thing, but if the seller has 7 sales in the past few months and the only listing they had up was the one I picked up, then they probably aren’t going for a mass amount of sales which is why I don’t understand their noncompliance

Its actually not a requirement that it be tracked because they offer economy shipping as an option but it is within the sellers best interest to have the item tracked so that the buyer can’t claim the item was not delivered and open a case. Whether the seller wants to charge for this or not doesnt really matter. Sure, upto a certain value of item doesnt make sense but if its coming out of their profits, what difference does it make to you, just factor the overall price and if your willing to pay that amount, make the purchase.

Here we go again lol.

THERES NO SUCH THING AS A SHIPPING CHARGE!!!

There’s only the bottom line. Add it all together and if you don’t like the total just don’t bid. Don’t complain, just don’t bid.

13 Likes

I tend to agree with using a PWE for cheap cards. I’d rather the pay seller more for the card and less for the shipping. I do understand why sellers would want tracking tho.

this this and this! I always take the shipping and any import fees into the final cost of the card. If the card “cost” me $200 plus $10 in shipping and $24 in import fees I take the extra fees into consideration and my actual cost on the card is $234.

2 Likes

So what do you do “if” you did classify a charge for shipping and buyers messaged with a “do you combine shipping?”. Is the reply as above?

I’m confused, did the seller change the shipping charges after you bought the card? If he didn’t change it then I’m not sure what you are complaining about, if he changed the shipping contact eBay eBay and cancel your order.

2 Likes