Sellers overcharging for shipping - thoughts?

Pokematt simply made a mistake. The seller did nothing wrong so this was all pokematt’s fault.

You see what happens though when you consider the residual charges as “separate” when calculating your purchase price? Your price is the total you actually pay. That’s the only price that matters. Proof of that is sellers who offer free shipping…do you think that means shipping is actually free? Of course not.

I’m selling a PSA 9 1st base Alakazam for 700.00 free shipping.
A seller we’ve seen this week is charging 100.00+499.00shipping total 599.00.
What sense does it make to pay the 599.00 then cry about the shipping for a week?

There are people who travel and have additional costs to ship.

There is a massive difference between genuine additional costs and people charging shipping on every purchase to increase their margins. The latter is a poor business model that not only deters buyers but ironically earns lower prices.

2 Likes

True, they only hurt themselves in that case but since when is it up to others to dictate what they do? Do we want others to tell us how to run our little businesses?

Obviously we can’t dictate what they do as long as it’s legal. But we can definitely can say that we dislike their actions or methods. I think trying to trick customers with ridiculous shipping charges is a bad, unethical business practise, it’s as simple as that.
Basically everyone agreed that it is pokematts fault, but that doesn’t cleanse the seller of all sin.

Edit: Messed up the quotation and can’t correct it. I’m refering to your last comment Gary.

1 Like

One thing I think people often forget is the price of ebay and paypal fees. Combined that’s 12% of the listing cost.

You have to make up that price some how. For a $100 card the seller is only making $88. The label may cost a certain price, but then there is the paper and ink to print it out, the tape to pack it up, and the bubble wrap or other material to pack it. Plus the time it takes to do all of this.

The final cost is the final cost, you just have to factor everything in when making a purchase. Don’t like it? Go somewhere with a price you agree with.

Ebay fees alone are 11.5% for me. :grimacing:

We’re all aware of these fees, but when shipping is double the actual cost it’s a little much.

Packaging is $0.10-0.25 unless you’re buying boxes which are still under a dollar.

Read poke’s post above.

Amazing this concept could be lost on a few here;)

1 Like

Most people prefer to see ‘free’ when it comes to shipping. They think they’re getting a great deal when in fact that shipping cost is just added to the card :ok_hand::rofl:

Man, is this true.
Cost of doing business charges are all smoke and mirrors. Don’t lose sleep over, or let yourself be influenced by, anything except the bottom line;)

1 Like

Actually yes, yes you are paying for not only the item, but every single fee he incurs in selling it and getting it to you as well as money for his time and for profit. Every time you buy anything whether it be a gallon of milk at the store to a Pokemon card on eBay you are paying not only for the item but every fee incurred for everyone who has handled that product along the line as well as a profit to the person you are buying it from. Whether it is all bundled up in one single amount or you see separate line items such as item + shipping + tax + import fees etc shouldn’t make a difference.

Don’t get me wrong… I’m on the side of sellers should be offering free shipping on everything. It gives higher search ranks and just good business practices. This is mainly since buyers throw such hissy fits over shipping fees, but yeah it just makes good sense. But as @garyis2000 has always said just go for the total price and forget the rest. If you are happy with the total price then buy it. Whether what percentage was shipping fees, sales tax, customs, GSP fees whatever doesn’t matter. Your price to the door is all that matters. Especially when some sellers are offering multiple low value items I can see why many charge shipping. Some of them have hardly ever shipped anything and may price shipping high to be safe especially in auctions. They don’t want to get stuck selling something for $2 with $10 shipping to come and find that shipping is actually $15. You can argue that they could start the bidding at $15 with free shipping and although I wouldn’t disagree that isn’t the point. Any fees plainly advertised up front are just a part of the total price. Add it to your cart and get ready to check out to see the all in price at the bottom. If you are happy go ahead if not then move along.

E.g. TV shopping. All fictional examples of the same TV for sale through various outlets.

Seller 1: $550 TV
Seller 2: $500 TV, $50 sales tax
Seller 3: $400 TV, $150 shipping and handling
Seller 4: $200 TV, $200 shipping, $150 import fee

All TV’s are $550 and you can see it all up front. It says a lot about someone who will buy TV 2, 3, or 4 and then go back and cry about fees.

1 Like

random late night rant- Ebay added fees to the total price because of people charging low item price but high postage. So now because of it we all have to pay the price. I don’t agree with overcharging for shipping, I add the % onto my shipping costs because Otherwise I lose money every time. Free postage Isn’t free, and I get that it is a total cost, and free postage looks better and can attract more buyers. For lower priced items that need to be shipped as a small parcel +, it seems to have the opposite effect. I did free postage on some lower priced items, and on others I didn’t. I could have sold a few items but the customer didn’t seem to to think about postage, so a deal wasn’t made. For example, a drinks mug listed at 6.99 free postage (£2.95 small parcel) after fees £5.89, then take away 2.95 is £2.94 “take away pay”. i have best offer on most items, I was offered £5 after an auto reject for £4. I know it is small peanuts, I am not expecting much from small parcel low cost items except to boost ratings. If I had listed the item at 2.99 BIN with 3.49 postage, would it have sold? who knowsss . I like to ramble and overthink things :wink: