Roaring Skies Reprint?

Thanks mostly to one buyer. They bought the rest.

They are back. Increased price to $109.97

www.ebay.com/itm/POKEMON-ROARING-SKIES-BOOSTER-BOX-SEALED-ENGLISH-/252712750159?hash=item3ad6da8c4f:g:m8AAAOSwyQtVjg0w

Eh they are listing them in small batches, each one will have an increase.

I am more or less certain this has never happened for an entire set, or even close to an entire set.

I am surprised they didnā€™t just throw shaymin in as a tin promo reprint in some upcoming product. Isnā€™t that much more along the lines of what they usually do @smpratte and maybe what you were referring to with yanmega 2011? I mean that could have big price implications still on the roaring skies boxes if they went that route, but to simply reprint an entire set that you were calling out of print creates a fairly scary precedent doesnā€™t it? @milhouse, Iā€™ve never heard of it either, closest I can think is the shrot reprint of the charizard red-blue boxes but that was boosters that were in print anyways.

I donā€™t think this reprinting of roaring skies all together would be healthy for the hobby.

1 Like

First impressions for me is a negative reaction as well. Yeah, Roaring Skies has been a very valuable set for the meta but there have been other sets that were just as, or even more important to the meta that didnā€™t get the same treatment.

Itā€™s a bad precedent.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious to see if weā€™ll get a dump of the singles as well.

As of 1:46PM EST 1/6/17
Search Term: Shaymin EX 106/108
Hits: 33

Sarch Term: Shaymin EX 77/108 -World -Championship
Hits: 56

Iā€™ll check again periodically as the news spreads out and see what the reaction is. May turn up nothing if the reprint isnā€™t what it seems.

Iā€™m most surprised by the timing. Seems odd to reprint now, halfway through the last legal season for the set. Too little, too late if theyā€™re hoping to significantly benefit the player base. I would have expected something more in line with the Yanmega Collection box reprint smpratte referenced. It occurred in similar timing when Yanmega Prime skyrocketed right before US Nationals in 2011. There was borderline hysteria as people frantically opened HGSS Triumphant product to get the card that was ā€œunbeatable,ā€ yet went largely under the radar up until that point. The prices were entirely commanded by players, which led to a huge spike in value for about three months before the card was more easily countered with the introduction of more sets and the prices deflated. It is my impression that the introduction of the reprinted Yanmega had no effect on the price the average competitive consumer was able to purchase it at.

There are limits to the comparisons that can be drawn, however, because this would be the first time a set has been reprinted due to competitive demand following the introduction of the expanded format in an official capacity in 2014. There is now incentive for players to purchase and retain major cards within the standard metagame, particularly those versatile staples such as Shaymin EX, even after it is rotated from standard play. We saw the effect of expanded play on Tropical Beach prices. Whereas normally we could expect a vanilla Worlds promo to return to its comfortable $50 niche price after it saw a rare moment of play, expanded kept Tropical Beach prices as high as $150 per copy for some time after rotation. Even now, the length of play keeps NM/M+ copies at a premium. Will we see Shaymin EX take a similar route, or will a reprint effectively deflate the price? Additionally, is the competitive base large enough to dent the supply of NM/M+ condition Shaymin EX such that the collecting market will command a significantly higher price for NM/M+ copies even after it has moved out of expanded play?

As for comparisons to other sets and their relevance to the meta, was Roaring Skies released before they really started to amp up production numbers? Iā€™ve heard that the last few sets have each significantly outpaced their predecessor in production run, culminating in Evolutions with many, many times as much product released as Fates Collide, which was believed to have an unprecedented print size. If this is the case, it seems likely that the supply of Shaymin EXs woefully underserves the competitive playerbase and the reprint could be entirely or nearly entirely opened, rendering the effect on the long-term value of sealed boxes minimal.

There hasnā€™t been a card that reached shaymins price since NXD and DEX for competitive play. But the player base is 10x what it was then.

1 Like

Plasma Freeze Ultra Ball Secret was 175+ until the SM version was leaked.

But there are cheap versions of Ultra Ball and not Shaymin EX. I think he meant there hasnā€™t been a card function that was as necessary for competitive play while also not having any cheaper way of obtaining the card function.

2 Likes

That one is a strange beast and I still wonder how it ever got that high and if it will still do better long term. That being said I came across a few copies and flipped them as fast as possible. I had good expectations long term for the roaring skies secret rare vs seeker because of the ultra balls success. That is possibly until today especially after seeing what the sun/moon ultra ball has done short term to the plasma freeze one.

2 Likes

FYI.

I just got news that I have one shot to place a preorder today, and that will be everything.

To add: Everyone place your bets and buckle up. Should be an interesting ride.

1 Like

ā€˜We need to reprint this set for the players benefitā€¦ but only a littleā€™

2 Likes

Shaun on facebook is selling them for $100 shipped in the Virbank City US group for those who want them cheap, I think thatā€™s the cheapest you can find.

Regarding what this means for precedent on ā€œout of printā€ sets:

I agree that it is a bad way of going about things. I wonder what sort of wheels had to turn just right to make it so that this kind of thing happened. I also have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I donā€™t know how intimately involved in the secondary market I want the company to be. It seems that being too involved could yield some serious problems. On the other hand, this type of reprint is distasteful for me specifically because it creates a lack of trust in the secondary market. MtGā€™s reprint policy can be read HERE. To my knowledge, Pokemon does not have a similar policy. But then, through all of my involvement in Pokemon competitive play, Iā€™ve always felt that there is a huge disconnect in Pokemon between organized play and the corporation itself. The highest ranking organized play members struggle to get even small requests heard by the executive decision-makers. This is unlike Magic where the playerbase has a loud voice. Itā€™s why they have unparalleled R&D.

All that said, I would hope that out of print sets would largely be respected and that the company would consider its two-year window firmer. I am disappointed, though unshaken. This ultimately says one thing to me: the future of Pokemon investing is almost entirely in Wizards of the Coast product. The one thing they can never do is print a Wizards logo or copyright.

4 Likes

That is 100% what I mean.

Everyone wants to bling out their decks and make everything as shiny as possible. With Ultra Ball being a competitive staple and it likely to be in the format for years, people are willing to pay a bunch for it. That being said the SM Ultra Ball is even more shiny so the Plasma Freeze one will probably decrease in price.

Pokemon crowned king of reprints confirmed, where else can you find reprints of a set a couple years old lol

Does anyone know any uk stores that are selling these guys

Yes that is what I meant. I couldnā€™t remember specifically how they re-released the card.

It is somewhat odd they are doing this as the Shaymin price isnā€™t that outlandish. I remember tropical beaches were $200 all day, and there was no cheap option for that card.

The businesses who are necessary for the TCG to exist definitely absorb the risk. If this decision is primarily because of Shaymin, a nice alternative would have been a Shaymin tin promo, or something of that nature.