Pokémon Booster Box Reprint!

Hello there! I know the Pokémon company released a statement saying they were releasing reprints to curve the increased demand sometime in February I believe, and I was wondering if anyone knew which sets were getting the said reprint?

I’m interested in a few booster boxes from 2019 and 2020, but I am unsure wether or not to purchase fearing another roaring skies situation

Any help would be much appreciated!

Here’s my terrible opinion: even if they reprint Sun & Moon sets, the reprints won’t be that large. I remember they reprinted Ultra Prism booster boxes and Walmart 3 pack boxes and it definitely made the price go down just for a bit but now Ultra Prism is back at $285, which is well above MSRP. I don’t think any of the Sun & Moon sets will get reprinted THAT much. Even after the Vivid Voltage reprint this year, VV is still at $150-$180ish a box.

With that said, this is unprecedented times for Pokemon. They could definitely reprint every Sun & Moon set to the max if they wanted to. Lack of demand for these boxes is more likely to affect the prices long term than a reprint though IMO.

2 Likes

I might be wrong, but I think we already got whatever reprints they promised. Champs path ended up sitting on shelves for a long time, and hidden fates got restocked months ago. I think the main priority right now is Celebrations and whatever else is coming. I think at this point, you can’t really expect anything much older than swsh to get restocked, and I don’t think they will get “reprinted” - it will prob look more like a repackaged backstock release (like when they “reprinted” ultra prism, team up, etc.). As someone else said, those ended up being pretty limited.

Just to clarify, the Ultra Prism wasn’t repackaged back stock, it was a full on reprint.

The reason I know this is because card 120/156: Cyrus Prism Star. When the set was initially released, it had an error on the card and it was given an errata very soon after. Details of the errata are here.

We expected to see the corrected version of this card soon after the errata was made but it was never printed until the card was going to be rotated out, in Fall 2020 during the Ultra Prism reprint. We finally saw the corrected version of Cyrus Prism Star which made it very clear that this Ultra Prism reprint was in fact a true reprint. I actually ended up buying an Ultra Prism booster box around this time and pulled the corrected Cyrus Prism Star myself.

I’m still not sold on the theory that they won’t reprint any Sun & Moon sets anymore. I’d say it’s a coin toss.

1 Like

Definitely something to be fearful of.

4 Likes

Ultra Prism used to be a $500-$600 box before the reprint because people thought it had a super limited print run, relative to modern. Unfortunately prices haven’t gone back up to that level yet.

1 Like

Shaymin EX was a hell of a drug.

2 Likes

Ultra Prism was $300~ before the reprint, which dropped it down to the $150-175 range for a little bit. It’s now back to pre-reprint pricing

It was probably a big nothing burger to begin with

BUT on the off chance they had any intention of doing reprints in February, that was before the “second wave” and all the supply chain issues and such going on now. So I’d betcha they would release another statement simply claiming the above and saying sorry.

They are going to focus on getting out new product to their target audience. Not reprinting stuff out of rotation or play.

That may have been after rumors began spreading that it could be reprinted. But it definitely was at $550 mid last year. I used to own one and was watching the price weekly.

1 Like

I heard darkness ablaze, swsh base, vivid voltage and battle styles booster boxes plus battle styles and sun and moon etbs

I kinda dipped out of collecting during XY. I’ve heard Roaring Skies was printed a lot, but its still pretty expensive rn. What happened with that set?

It got reprinted super late… Most likely due to Shaymin EX being in the set, which was a staple in standard play at the time.

That message is still on their site 8 months and keeps being “updated” pretty much everyday (was updated 7 minutes ago). Its a blanket statement to stop people from sending support thousands of angry messages a day about not being able to find product imo. They even tweeted it again a week or so ago. They are ridiculously behind on current product, CR wave 2 is finally coming out 4 months later. I find it very hard to believe if there are any reprints of sets from before BATS, it’ll be any meaningful amount with their current schedule and amount they are able to print. Anything is possible though.

The word “reprint” is only going to become relevant again when the participants of this hobby/financial institution, at the pallet, case and box-level, can no longer afford to hoard and sit on everything with impunity and watch it auto-appreciate over a short period of time.