Pokémon Website Update on Product Shortage

Just saw this article update from the Pokémon main site.

link

Sounds like some re-stocks are coming down the road. Curious to hear everyone’s thoughts here!

9 Likes

This aligns with the several rumors of massive printing waves coming in some months. I would guess we wont be seeing the results of this for at least 3-4 months, hopefully they will print to oblivion every set from SW & SH.

5 Likes

Curious to know if they leave merchandise up there with the intent to replenish?

See Evo and Champions Path for example as being marketed, did they just forget to take down? Or, are they planning on reprinting.

They have boxes from the B&W era on their website. Champs path will likely get printed, but I wouldn’t count on evolutions.

1 Like

Ready to be disappointed again

1 Like

Hopefully the print quality isn’t bad as a result of the flood gates being opened.

2 Likes

Hopefully this means I’ll actually be able to buy single packs at my grocery store again soon. Recently, the only thing I’ve seen in their card isle are Detective Pikachu plushies. Which are cute, but not as fun to open.

11 Likes

Love to actually buy a pack from my retail store this year. lol

13 Likes

Would be cool to collect/open hidden fates for a reasonable price. Didn’t start collecting again until early 2020.

I think it is a wise move if they just mass reprint everything in standard format to kill off permanently the scalper market. That includes HF ETBs and the likes as well but my guess is that this is all talk, especially in the short-term. Demand is way too high compared to their production capacity. If that wasn’t the situation then pokemon company would have already solved the supply shortage issue by now. So my guess is this will continue until 2022 when demand and hype starts to die down. Eventually there will be a shift in the market where scalpers start to realize the game is over so they all panic to unload their inventory which causes a further correction in prices. It is needed though because the scalping is getting excessive, especially when you see the sneaker idiots starting to show up and they turn every new product release into a free-for-all brawl at the walmart card section on release day.

On a side note, it is kinda funny to see actual card shops saying that they want pokemon company to print these sets into the ground. They must’ve not been around when crimson invasion flopped and so many shops got left holding the bag with inventory they couldn’t sell.

1 Like

Wait, people actually buy modern? I thought it was all a meme.

3 Likes

All those scalpers, and those who were buying all the McDonalds boxes …

6 Likes

21 Likes

bUt mY InvEStmeNTs

5 Likes

They ain’t reprinting WOTC.

big brain stonk moves.

Wouldn’t mind a Steam Siege reprint

5 Likes

I wouldn’t hold my breath for any massive reprints for the following reasons:

1. The companies that print Pokemon cards are not owned by TPCi, and have orders to fulfill from other customers and a contractual obligation to follow strict deadlines.

2. Printing requires physical space so even if they wanted to increase printing output, the logistics of expanding the production line over a temporary issue is not economically viable.

3. You could sub-contract production, but this would likely compromise confidentiality, quality and add a host of other risks that again are not worth taking due to a temporary issue.

4. The supply issues are happening at all levels, and the more raw materials are required for a product the worse it gets. Printing cards requires different paints, papers, replacement parts for printing machines, cutting machines, packaging materials and a bunch of other supplies that aren’t all shipped together in a single container. Delays on delivering at least one of these items will bring production to a halt.

Personally, I think price and availability are likely to stabilize slowly over a long period as opposed to drastically in a matter of weeks/months.

Bonus prediction: Given the fact that a significant increase in supply on the English side is highly unlikely in the short term, and that the 25th Anniversary is upon us, I expect this year’s pent up demand to start overflowing into Japanese product to the point that both English and Japanese will experience critical shortages.

10 Likes

I think part of the fun of collecting sealed product is knowing that it will go up in value someday… Pending they actually print quite a bit, this will just delay that day a few years. I have a hard time imagining them reprinting anything from XY or before… but they will definitely print S&M.

For many people, part of the hobby is buying and holding. I don’t think this is great for them personally, and I also don’t think this will change anything about availability, until popularity dies out of the current cycle…

The wildcard here is definitely what they decide to print. Any set that doesn’t get a reprint will likely be somewhat rare going forward…so sets in XY which used to have a massive supply glut from the pokemon go period are now rare…hard to say it but sets like steam siege is now a rare set, especially the booster box. Hell even crimson moved up to $160 per box. I’m thinking that the last half of S&M could possibly get a reprint but as time goes on, it will be less and less. I could see them focusing more on the super hot sets like hidden fates, shining fates and so on but we did get a recent release of kanto boxes (evo packs) so I guess anything is possible.

1 Like

@pkmnflyingmaster,

lol I was thinking the same thing.

“expected to be available at retailers as soon as possible”

lmao I thought they were actually going to give a date for a second