Pokémon Website Update on Product Shortage

No wonder I’m getting bombarded with modern chase card offers, for cheap.

Maybe PSA will get a lot of cancellation requests and the load will be lightened.

5 Likes

In situations where there is limited availability, we are actively working to print more of the impacted Pokémon TCG products as quickly as possible and at maximum capacity to support this increased demand.

All this says at a literal level is that sets impacted by supposed covid production line issues will have their fair shot at a good run.

Any one that thinks this is going to extend to sets released before 2020 is reading at a level above my comprehension.

From their own Q&A website, “Pokémon TCG cards are produced from the highest-quality materials to ensure a positive experience for the player and collector alike.

It wouldn’t appear to be a ‘positive experience’ to disenfranchise collectors by reprinting out of print sets.

1 Like

Is this true? Can’t tell if sarcasm or not, the modern cards i track are still on the same price.

That article says, “In situations where there is limited availability, we are actively working to print more of the impacted Pokémon TCG products as quickly as possible and at maximum capacity to support this increased demand. Reprinted products are expected to be available at retailers as soon as possible.”
That sure sounds like massive reprints to me?

2 Likes

I, as a collector, would be happy if they reprinted older sets. Why wouldn’t i? I would be able to open some boosters, buy some boxes, etc. I don’t see the downside of reprinting any modern set from recent years (?).

2 Likes

You wouldn’t if you were planning on making money from sealed sets (like HF, or SL) in the near term, as their price would fluctuate greatly (as it sort of already is).

As a collector of modern cards, it would be a great thing

As a collector of sealed modern english, it would be a not so great thing if you needed to liquidate

personally as a collector of neither of those, I’m happy to see it as optimistically it will bring new people into the hobby as they’re hopefully more likely to get their hands on cards. but I’m not so certain ramping up production will suddenly solve that :confused:

Yeah this is what I’m thinking as well, they might do some Sun and Moon sets from the tail end. I wouldn’t expect anything from prior to 2019.

Hah, large companies love vague, non-committal statements don’t they? @kaldoverde spot on imo, when you break the situation down from a practical perspective it makes for a clearer picture!

Add in the business development aspect of it all as well and you get even muddier waters…they claim they’re printing products of limited availability to “maximum capacity” but also “maximizing production” on future TCG products. Product releases being time-limited and deadline-restricted means there’s a limited window for reprints to occur if they have any chance of printing future products to a scale that’s closer to demand.

The only way (in my very non-expert opinion) they could feasibly print current products closer to demand is to significantly delay the next new release and go HAM on the Fates holiday sets and high demand expansions like VV. But - brand development pressures - super unlikely that’s going to happen. As others have pointed out, high-demand expansions stretch out prior to SWSH - where do they draw the line? The further they take it, the leaner those reprint volumes get. So fully agree with kaldoverde - can see this easing over a long period of time rather than any sudden, noticeable increases in product availability. Which is a shame, because I really like the idea of a PSA 10 Hidden Fates shiny vault master set…

1 Like

I heard the endless XY dwindled, reprint? :blush:

Brilliant points have already been made but I still want to emphasize one thing again: there is an enormous gap between printing and releasing a product. This will not have an immediate effect on supply in any way.

"In situations where there is limited availability, we are actively working to print more of the impacted Pokémon TCG "

This reads like they are referring to products that should have been available this past year but due to low production became scalped.

This does not read as them apologizing for ever putting any set out of print [as per normal business practice] in the last decade and promising to reprint all of them.

I think its a safe bet to interpret the official statement as saying any set COVID impacted the printing of will get massive reprints…and honestly I would venture to say that since the reprints of SM sets were also impacted by the pandemic, nothing from Team Up through Battle Styles will genuinely be safe from a “maximum capacity” reprint. Only time will tell.

That doesn’t seem far from the realm of possibilities. Unfortunately, there are people asking about plasma freeze and flashfire box reprints lmao…

Another reprint of steam siege and crimson invasion when?

5 Likes

To me this feels a little too late. Hidden Fates was the beginning of the end and initially it was crazy hard to find. They printed it through the holidays and we had a bunch of nice sales on it too to the point where I was still able to pick it up after the holidays. We got the same shortage with Champions Path and it feels like its only gotten worse. Now when I go to general retail stores (Walmart, Target) there is little or absolutely nothing on the shelves.

I’m not paying scalper prices nor am I willing to make it a job to stalk vendors or online sales alerts so personally I’ve taken a big step back from modern until things at least hint towards normalization. Hopefully 2021 or 2022 will be the end of the TCG/CCG scalpers, but I can only dream.

4 Likes

I’m just going to keep buying cards that aren’t being printed.

I am perfectly OK with this. I don’t pursue high-value cards so having more access to them means better opportunities once in-person TCG play returns. I own some sealed modern ETBs and those will go up in value eventually… in a time frame that is reasonable. Modern stuff doubling in price in a matter of months is not the norm.

The only modern set that I deem as “safe”, in terms of not losing alot of value or any value at all, would be Hidden Fates.

2 Likes

Agreed, with any investment fundamentals are everything, hidden fates unless they print it for 10 years is always going to be a set that we look back on fondly. I open modern for some fun but hidden fates but hidden fates is something different havnt had that much fun opening packs since maybe the early 2000s

So did anything ever come of this?

I still never see pokemon in any stores around here.