Several Upcoming TCG Products Cancelled/Delayed (PokeBeach)

www.pokebeach.com/2017/09/several-upcoming-tcg-products-cancelled-or-delayed

"The release of the Landorus vs. Genesect Battle Arena Deck has been completely cancelled. There are currently no plans to release it in the future, though that could always change.

Due to a saturated release schedule with all the upcoming Shining Legends products, TPCi has decided to delay the Alolan Raichu Figure Collection until next year. Distributors project that it will be released in March.

The release date for the Tapu Lele Pin Collection is still up in the air, but the product has not been cancelled. Distributors think it may release in December. No definitive answer has been given as to why it’s been delayed, only unsubstantiated rumors. (However, I think it may be due to a manufacturing error with the pins, which delayed Tapu Lele’s keychain release in Japan.)"

I thought this would be interesting to discuss here. Is there too much saturation with these collection boxes and everything else? I vote yes. Could sales be slowing down? Discuss below!

1 Like

It could be an interesting niche item to see if any test prints of the unique cards in the Genesect deck exist. I know those decks usually come with a unique artwork or two for pre-existing trainer cards. Since they’re trainers and not actual Pokemon it won’t be too great though.

For over the past year, it feels like every time I turn around something else is out.

There’s too much saturation with all products. The old saying “leave them wanting more” isn’t followed anymore. Business just tries to sell more.

The problem that can arise is if you are able to collect at $100 a month and products continue to come out till it takes $200 a month what does the collector do?
A) Trim expenses, so they can afford the additional $100.
B) Get selective about what they collect, so they lower their costs.
C) Give up and stop collecting all together.
I think all those solutions have a downside for the rest of collectors.

Lol i wonder what the manufacturing error would be… Perhaps the mixed tapu lele with another pokemon.

Doesn’t work for newer pokemon, but fun haha:::

pokemon.alexonsager.net/

It’s a smart move. They definitely don’t want to cannibalize their shining legends product. With the BOXY Collection Box, they’ve got enough risk for one short season.

Or… we can pray they made a few, not released to the public and only meant for promotional purposes and we have a Collector’s Item worth hunting for the next few years :wink:

1 Like

If only they’d stop being a business and start selling interesting and unique products instead of the same old bullshit that makes them truckloads of $

3 Likes

The PokemonCenter website sells some cool unique non TCG related stuff…

“Non-TCG”

6 Likes

I am almost positive the failure of the battle arena decks is directly related to the sharp price increase. Sure they did make some nice additions via the alternate art sycamore and trainer’s mail but it wasn’t enough to offset the increase from $18.75 wholesale to $25 wholesale. As far as everything else goes I think it is definitely just way too many releases in way too short of a time. The generations set was fun and coincided with the 20th anniversary so it made sense to do something above and beyond and special but it seems like they are looking to make it a yearly thing and I think that will just be too much.

3 Likes

We don’t have an official “new and upcoming TCG product” thread anywhere, right? Either way this is unrelated to the cancelled and delayed but I wanted to comment on it.

The recent Mega Tyrantar EX Premium Collection boxes are selling for as low as $17 on Amazon right now down from the MSRP of $40. The Scizor EX box is about $10. How is anyone making any money off of these boxes selling them for so low?

Those are roughly wholesale prices so they are pretty much breaking even. Same thing when the $79.99 booster box flash sales come up on eBay. Basically distributors are selling through retailers at cost looking to break even.

Saturation and speculation has been so high lately especially with evolutions that I have been buying nearly as much product through retail channels as I am through my actual wholesale channels. My distributors both asked me why I hadn’t bought booster boxes from them in months and I sent them both links to the $79.99 listings along with eBay bucks and cc rewards it is insane how cheap product is getting to the consumer. Add to that the “investors” who bought a case of in print sets ready to sit on it for a quick flip and profit realizing that it wasn’t happening anytime soon then dumping off their product for $60-$70 per box rates. Yes I have gotten booster cases to my door for ~$360 (net after rewards/incentives) before.

2 Likes

Good read accurately summing up how I’ve felt about the TCG for a while now.

I think the funniest thing about this story (about how products were delayed or cancelled due to the oversaturarion of box products) is that five days later, the Silvally GX box was announced.

www.pokebeach.com/2018/01/solgaleo-gx-box-and-lunala-gx-box-product-images-release-delayed

More collection boxes delayed, initially releasing in March and pushed all the way back to October. The saturation must be catching up with all of these boxes, I know it did for me.

In my local stores, boxes are piling up on shelves and nobody is buying them. Seadraking EX, Dragonite EX, Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Mimikyou, Espeon GX … it’s madness.

The only thing that seems to sell really well at my local Walmart is the single booster packs, everything else just kind of sits there once the initial stock gets a replenishment. For example; the recent Alola Raichu box got stocked with the standard 4 boxes and was down to 1 before the next week began. They’ll restock this same box and those will sit there until they are dropped down to $13-14 or bundled in one of those “holiday savings” packages.

Things started to get too crazy with the TCG product when TPCI started using it to advertise Pokemon Go. We’ve got current product (Sun & Moon), Pokemon Go product (Johto/now Hoenn), now we’ve got side product in Shining Legends. Too much.

You know it’s bad when CHARIZARD boxes pile up.

7 Likes

I find it the issue is TCPi is releasing so many pokemon items each month. every month there is something released with a box and lots of places are now trying to clearance them out

1 Like

I see those Dragonite, Kingdra etc. boxes piling up here on a local toy store too but I’m not surprised, they are some of the most boring and lazy TCG products ever released…

2 Likes