Refunded without shipping label on eBay?

Hey guys,

I recently had a purchase on eBay of which the items were clearly damaged, and the description stated they were in perfect condition, so I initiated the refund process (the seller did not offer refunds) with item not as described. The seller was responding but we couldn’t work anything out, so today I asked eBay to step in and a few minutes later the case was decided in my favor :grin:

Now if I recall correctly there should be the option to print a shipping label while the case stays open, and either when I submit proof of shipment or when the seller accepts the return I will get my money refunded.

But I got my money refunded several hours later, see no way to create a shipping label, and the case is closed, this strikes me as odd.

Does anyone know what is going on and what would you advice me to do?

The seller sent you a refund and you can either keep the item or you can send it back by paying for shipping yourself. The case is closed in your favor so you can choose either option. In this situation, I wouldn’t worry about sending it back since it sounds like he was the one trying to scam you.

I had the same thing happening last week. However I then was contacted by eBay asking to post the item because the seller refunded me by mistake and hence the case was automatically closed. They said that I could keep the item, but it would be nicer to send either way.

I had print the labels before hand and posted it the next day as I had planned.

If you can get the shipping address and get the seller to pay for the return, then return :grin:

Officially, the case is closed and you can keep the items if you want. The seller might be annoyed if you don’t send them back, but really it’s up to you to decide what you want to do with the items. Either way, case is over as far as eBay is concerned.

i have had the exact same experience when purchasing a 1st edition charizard card. The seller listed it as perfect condition and new.
I received a very damaged card. Ebay refunded instantly and told me I only need to return the item if the seller sends me return label. The return label never came and the seller has been inactive on ebay ever since.

same here, 2 cards mint condition as new, they were damaged.Ebay refunded as the seller didnt reply to ithe rof us over a certain time period.I got the money and ebay said I can keep the 2 cards aswell as the money

Who in the world is everybody buying from?

4 Likes

Hahaha

To be fair it’s just one in many transactions, I still don’t understand it as the seller has between 50 and 100 feedback, but it was not Pokemon only.

So I’ve had contact with the seller and (surprise surprise) they want their cards back, it seems like the refund in this way was a mistake. The seller was okay with refunding, but didn’t intend to do it this early in the process.

The seller asked me how he could print a shipping label, does anyone know how that’s possible without a direct sale attached?

You can send them back, then have PayPal refund you the shipping cost. That would be the right thing to do, but most people on here would just keep them since they know eBay wont force them to return them.

www.elitefourum.com/t/paypal-now-has-refund-for-return-shipping/16349/1

Most people would keep the item because that’s the option the seller chose. It clearly states that the buyer keeps the item. IMO it’s kind of hard to believe the “I’m new to ebay and I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to returns” excuse when each option is described and broken down in simple terms. The really right thing to do in this situation would be to list more accurately to avoid returns.