Is there anything I can do? Buyer claims the cards were fake

Long story short I sold a 1st edition complete team rocket set on eBay. Now when the buyer received them he messaged me saying that he had them evaluated and came to the conclusion that all the cards were all fake. Due to the fact they weren’t centred, corners weren’t straight and he could just tell. He wanted a refund.

I explained that they weren’t fake and wasn’t going to give a refund. As he could return different cards.

So he was cross and opened an eBay return dispute. He wrote the same and didn’t even provide pictures as evidence just his word of mouth. I forwarded my evidence.

After a couple days the return was ended as he closed it. However it closed as he had opened a Paypal dispute. The money was held up from my account. He wrote the same things.
So I gave my evidence again along with printed copies of the SMR magazine showing that this set was known to have these faults more so than other sets.

PayPal eventually favoured with him! They didn’t give a reason just a generic favour on the buyers side.

So now I await the return of the cards fearing the worse. As he could send back different poor conditioned cards or even fakes themselves.

I feel I have been cheated and lied to by both the buyer and PayPal.

Is there anything else I can do to support my claim once I get the cards back or just accept this and move on? ( I sold under an eBay low selling fee promotion so lose out and that as well!)

Opinions welcomed. Thanks

Tell Ebay that buyer refuses to provide pictures.
Call paypal and ask Ebay to step in.
Lookup the address and file a police report in that area.

Do you ahve pictures of all the original cards? proof of postage, signed delivery and weight etc? All you can do I wait for the cards to be returned and assess them. hopefully guys here have a proper answer. do you have a link to the listing? and collated all pictures, messages together? what did ebay say…or his reason for closing?

EDIT: You can tell the buyer you will be reporting fraudulant activity from him if the cards returned arent exactly as sent, and the same cards as it is theft. What was the total money he potentially stole?

With the police report you need to stress it is theft.
You can use the SMR mag to prove he value of the cards
mention you have the address of the person and print it all the messages you have had with him through eBay.

I would wait until the cards arrive then you can take action if anything is fishy.He could ahve just had buyers remorse/decided they werent in the condition he wanted.

1 Like

I still await the cards. I will need to contact all above mentioned including him. I was away this week so couldn’t do anything until now.
Just sucks and time consuming.

I wouldn’t waste any more time on this, at least until you see the return:)

Maybe one thing you can do is give us that buyers ID.

1 Like

Yes please provide buyer ID so we can block him.

I had a similar thing were PayPal sided with the buyer who sent me back k different cards, last minute hail Mary I messaged PayPal on their twitter account and explained everything, by complete miracle they appealed it and gave me back my money.

From my understanding if they approve your appeal they actually pay out of their side, so buyer still keeps the stolen item and money but at least you get paid also.

This would be my guess. Probably weren’t gradeable as 9s-10s, so he changed his mind.

1 Like

His eBay name is Sandiame. From England. However he actually made the first claim via eBay.com which was strange.

I tried to find out via live chat but they couldn’t answer as ebay uk and eBay us have different procedures apparently and didn’t want to tell me wrong information on the claim. Regardless it’s all nonsense.

They were all psa 8 gradable. A really nice set compared to other listings. I was shocked when I read his comment about them being fake.

I will update when I have more info.

I’ve had an issue with a buyer claiming a Japanese Mewtwo Fan Book Promo was fake. I asked the buyer for evidence but… never got any. I referenced Bulbapedia and other sources to prove that:

A) These cards had a glossy finish
B) Many of them were BADLY off-centered

But of course, didn’t get anything out of it. Seller won the case, so I just make it out as a loss and block him. Collectors and buyers that don’t properly educate themselves about these things tend to be horrible and tend to call them selves “experts” and eBay ill side with that expertise… :\

1 Like

Do you get the item back in a situation like that ? :slightly_frowning_face: Or at least keep the money ?

Buyer wanted me to pay for shipping from Canada to US, International shipping is kind of costly from Canada to US, but viceversa its acceptable.

You don’t get to keep the money as the funds are put on hold from your PP account. It was only about $6-$7~ give or take with the shipping included. I just took the loss as it just wasn’t cost effective to even have the buyer ship it back. Afterward I just blocked the guy, one of the very few negatives I’ve gotten. (2 for “fake cards” IE: CoroCoro Cards, 1 Treated Negative as a positive) and the Neutral from people who don’t really read and expect a M/NM card for the price of an EX/VG lol.

UPDATE.

First of all I put all the holos and non holos in sleeves and then into a folder.

I got the cards back. They all seem to be the same ones I sent him, all very nice condition.

Although there are a couple of the holos that I have my suspicions about. Its hard to tell from my listing pictures.

The Dark Raichu has a lot of scratches on it. I would of recognised that. And a couple of the holos have tiny tiny dirt marks and I am very careful in sending the cleanest cards out.

I can’t prove it. At least not to PayPal as even trying is too much hassle and won’t get me anything other than a headache. I have them back and will just resell them.

Now I can tell he only looked at the holos as some of the sleeve corners had bent back a bit when he put them back in the folder. (didn’t affect the card corners thank god). None of the non holos had this.

I also looked at his eBay account. He never sells anything. So I look at his buying history. And to my ‘surprise’ he always buys Pokémon cards. So his claim that he knew my cards were fake is a complete lie.

I think he simply wanted to return them, whatever his reason being who knows.
I have sent him a message saying he must of known and why did you want a return etc. Plus my listing clearly states no returns and says the description of the cards. I didn’t accuse him of swapping the cards though.

If he replies then it will be interesting to hear his excuses. Other than that he should get his money back as PayPal has held it from my account anyway.

On the plus side I get to keep the set and maybe it will increase in value. On the negative side I don’t think there is anyway as sellers we can do to stop other buyers wanting returns if they are going to falsely the products in being fake to PayPal. Not just Pokémon cards.

Thanks for reading

1 Like

If someone wants to return something on ebay, its coming back no matter what. I still stand by my statement that it wasn’t up to his grading standards or worth his time, so back they went!

2 Likes

Sketchy stuff like this seems to be happening more and more on eBay and other mediums. I take most of my payments via Friends and Family so I can prevent this type of thing happening. Of course with eBay that isn’t an option, make sure you take very detailed pictures before sending. People are so scummy nowadays.