Recession talk + jump in sealed booster box prices

Exacrly what Peirce said.

I’ve also seen a number of people take off listing because they saw prices jumping - leading to further reduced supply. These people were all willing to sell for less than the current highest sold price for current fossil, jungle and others boxes - so theres supply out thede.

One point to note is the price of fossil boxes has hit and there are currently 9 listings at or slightly above 3.6k, some with offers. As demand tappers off people will start to undercut each other bringing down the price. Theres 1 now listed at 3.1k buy it now.

A couple of sellers with boxes shouldn’t be seen as ‘supply’ :stuck_out_tongue:, the markets much larger than that

This won’t end well in the short term. Expect a prolonged correction if this keeps going on in my view. Similar to the crystal cards that we saw a few years ago. Boxes are now starting to rise $100-$200 a week based on what I’m seeing. It could keep going on given there’s a limited amount of boxes but my guess is that supply will start to exceed demand at these levels for a lot of boxes (base unlimited has gone parabolic for example). The supply takes time to react to new price levels. This isn’t a particularly liquid market.

Depends which sets you are talking about. Some have changed quite a bit.

I don’t expect much of a correction, if any at all. We are talking about a finite supply of items here. Those sealed boxes are either going to collectors and will never see the light of day again or are going to investors who will hold them for years.

3 Likes

So it seems to be the consensus that unless someone has a financial need to sell at a given point in time, there is essentially no downside to holding on to Base Set boxes for as long as they like?

2 Likes

correct. not even base set but also every 1st ed. and ex era set in general.

And an element of consideration relating to natural disasters must be taken into account - even only to an extent.

Or a recession. Any collectible hobby is pro cyclical with markets and the economy since it generally relies on excess savings and employment.

1 Like

Precisely!

1 Like

Sealed is a whole different kettle of fish to graded cards. Alot of these boxes are being brought at high prices and then broken down which removes them from ever hitting the market again. Aslong as people enjoy breaks the market will continue to push.

That said like mentioned above a recession could impact the market.

1 Like

You guys not scared of being scammed selling something for thousands? Its why I stick to boosters

You mean selling a legitimate booster box? And someone opening a request on Paypal a year later suggesting that they opened the item and that it didn’t match the description of the item sold - subsequently leading to a large amount of money being exited out of one’s account without their prior knowledge (unless they receive Paypal notifications)?

Yeah something like that, or requesting a return. I understand these arent iphones and collectors are generally better but the risk is still there on ebay

When talking thousands of dollars it’s a different game. You don’t go around committing felony theft and get away scot-free.

You can’t live your life like that mate

8 Likes

It’s like never crossing roads because you might get run over one day.

4 Likes

Right because crossing the road is the same thing. Don’t be an obtuse idiot. When i started my business i used to buy and sell gold on craigs and flip them at refineries, so i’m used to questionable guys and bs. I wouldnt risk 5k on one online transaction. I wouldnt care enough to chase them down, but still care about losing it. You obviously are some casual

1 Like

You get 30 days to return on ebay, and 180 days on paypal. That whole years down the road argument can’t really be applied here, but in my experience (and i only have 270 feedback on ebay), i’ve never had an issue.

1 Like

8 Likes