Data of Sealed Box Prices as of May 10, 2017

Found this file I had when I was doing some research on sealed boxes a little over a year ago. Thought I’d share it with you all.

All “Current Boxes For Sale” prices were Buy It Now options. I noted if it was a Dave & Adam’s prices because they all typically had a premium on them.

Neo Genesis:
Recently Sold Boxes - $1130, $1150(1st ed.)
Current Boxes For Sale – $1549 (1st ed.)

Neo Discovery:
Recently Sold Boxes - $895
Current Boxes For Sale - $974, $2000 (1st ed.)

Neo Revelation:
Recently Sold Boxes - $1185, $1250, $2465 (1st ed.)
Current Boxes For Sale - $1250

Neo Destiny:
Recently Sold Boxes – $1381, $1998, $3551 (1st ed.) $4250, (1st ed.)
Current Boxes For Sale – $2204.95 (Dave&Adams price), $4699 (1st ed.)

Legendary Collection:
Recently Sold Boxes- $2550, $3195, $3250,
Current Boxes For Sale- $3854 (Dave&Adams price), $3,899, $3995

Expedition:
Recently Sold Boxes – $1713
Current Boxes For Sale - N/A

Aquapolis:
Recently Sold Boxes- $3499
Current Boxes For sale - $2989, $1599 (live auction)

Skyridge:
Recently Sold Boxes – $2500, $2550, $3200
Current Boxes For Sale - N/A

11 Likes

good god, these box prices from 24-36 months ago.

2 Likes

my eyes.

6 Likes

We should take another snapshot of the market right now and come back in 3 years.

6 Likes

Cries in corner of the room

2 Likes

The exact feeling you have reading this thread is going to repeat itself in 2-3 years when you look back at 2020’s prices.

5 Likes

I remember buying a Neo Destiny Box in 2016 for $1400, thinking that was super steep.

Fast forward to 2020, I’m fixing to drop an additional five figure premium for the same box. Sucks on my end, but it makes me happy to see our hobby continue to grow and thrive- especially in these more difficult times.

4 Likes

@acebren, unfortunately i didn’t have the money then, i don’t have it now, and i won’t have it in 2 years :wink:

4 Likes

I’m gonna throw up

3 Likes

Oh.

I bought 1st edition Gym Challenge and 1st edition Gym Heroes boxes for $150 each back in 2009. That same year you could buy a 1st edition Base Set booster box for roughly $1k.

Times change.

6 Likes

My skyridge pack art set is now worth about as much as a box back then. Just nuts to think about it like that lol.

2 Likes

I would very much like an Expedition box for $1700. Please and thank you

1 Like

I got deep into the game in 16’ and then stopped for a bit after getting most of short term collect goals done. I have already caught myself saying awh dang wish I would of gotten more sealed product in 16’ while in 16’ i was saying the same thing about previous years.

Wow glad I posted this when I did.

Seems like prices have gone up exponentially compared to the increases in my original post. But that was only a 1 year dif.

Anyone want to make a graph with current prices that illustrates a good visual on the rate of growth?

2 Likes

Prices were pretty stagnant for like 10 years and boom here comes instagram and youtube. Makes you wonder if its just lots of people are just buying it, taking a few pics and selling again causing a rolling effect on prices. And if once insta/youtube gets tired of them the prices go back down

Psa prices are way too high compared to raw cards, and it wasn’t like this before. And on insta, most people only show off psa cards not raw. This makes me think the prices are mostly influenced by social media

^ no

5 Likes

@mrfuji

You kind of have it backward. PSA graded cards were too low. The fact that you could buy a NM WOTC holo for the same price (or even higher) for the same card in a PSA 8 was always ridiculous.

1 Like

The price ratio of cards to boxes is off. This means we should see a lot of growth in that sector. Its a pendulum.

1 Like

Yeah, but you know why Instagram/Youtube openings caused the price to spike? Because they decreased the supply. The supply of OoP sealed product is in constant decline, and demand would have decline more steeply over the same period of time for booster boxes to go down in value at all. The value of raw cards is much more volatile because the supply is constant or at a shallow incline. I would NOT bet on the prices of vintage sealed product dropping – in fact, I’d bet on the exact opposite.