Recent auction ended for Master's Scroll

Agree with @nikhil definitely some differences between the two cards. I love the scroll to death, but it has a more niche appeal compared to the unikarp imo.

3 Likes

I tend to agree here. I thought about this a lot and as awesome as the scroll is, it’s more niche and does not have a Pokémon on the card that people can connect with

1 Like

Begs the question of where does the main appeal for the scroll come from? I have a very personal attachment to the scroll, but all in all I say it’s appeal to most is in the holo/design and its history.

It’s one of the most unique cards. It’s just a solid concept. Even my non pokemon friends think it’s cool.

8 Likes

Exactly! There’s really nothing else like it. It even feels distinct from the Key.

1 Like

Being the highest redeemable prize for the Daisuki club has it’s own appeal. It could’ve been a Potion or Switch and I’d still love it.

6 Likes

Agreed! That’s why I say history is definitely a factor. It’s reminiscent of Fan Club Porygon and even players club Eeveelutions of the past! It was the last rewards program concept so far as well so it adds to the appeal imo. Being a final hoorah of the concept.

I am surprised how well the Japanese Legends promos do for being middle era. I attribute part of these to the fact that they all kinda support each other like a mini set. Cards such as…Indigo Plateau, Burned Tower, Copy Cat, Master Scroll, Master Key, Legend Box, Loster Remover, Professor Elm. Idk why but all these cards are gorgeous.

2 Likes

HGSS era having its own card aesthetic is definitely a plus in its favor. I think that really gives them a good historic look, which was the intent to mimic Johto. I wonder how those cards would be perceived with just the DP style?

1 Like

It’s a bit wild to me how much traction “it doesn’t have a Pokemon on it” has. Neither do the vast majority of full art supporters, trainers or stadium cards.

“yeah but they are related to Pokemon/the Pokemon universe”

How is the scroll not? Is the TCG content not Pokemon-related? The card game designers came up with an entirely new concept to award the highest ranking players. It’s not much different from the beloved “delta species” which is entirely a made up thing for the card game. Outside of the TCG “delta species” is not a thing in Pokemon. I bet if it was a medal or trophy instead of a piece of paper this wouldn’t need to be explained.

It is also funny to me how much this hobby has a fixation on the holo pattern/aesthetic and yet hands down the most holographic card ever is not relatable because there’s no Pokemon on it.

The entire message that was directly transmitted to our brains in gen1 is the goal to become a “Pokemon Master”. This is the Master’s Scroll, awarded to people who genuinely were masters at the game. Only those lucky enough to have seen the card in person realize that the mirror holo reflects the face of the person who looks upon it.

How fantastic it is to gaze upon the cosmos and to have the cosmos gaze right back at you.

tldr, if you don’t like the art just say that you don’t like it.

19 Likes

the holo. That is THE reason why people like it

2 Likes

Mysterious Pearl, Miracle Diamond and Wonder Platinum do well. That’s kinda the only comparison to Scroll or Key. Several DP cards that are trainer’s or supporters holofoil treatment as promos do okay, are maybe $50-$200 in PSA 9. These cards are mostly Sugimori stock art. I think @pfm hit the nail on the head. I understand he mainly referenced the Scroll but its something that I think can be extended to the other L-P Trainer and Supporter promos - they really have a great contrast of color and are quite spectacle. Even the Legend Box and Lost Remover. I don’t even know what those things are but they’re exciting cards that are really bursting with color. Professor Elm is inexpensive, lacking color and therefore consistent with the DP promos.

1 Like

Love this bit here. One of the reasons I really love and chase the scroll. Thanks for sharing the insight.

1 Like

Oh yeah I wasn’t trying to say that the DP style is bad. I really want a Pearl lol.

I was just trying to get at that I think the HGSS layout really helps give these cards some uniqueness and an overall aesthetic feel of their own.

New profile pic?

Old profile pic.

Sure, tldr I agree with you. the HGSS aethetic looks great on those cards.

1 Like

New profile pic.

5 Likes

For sure. L-P being separate styles makes all the great DP and DPt promos have their own unique identity too. The little things to appreciate I suppose

1 Like

I know it’s not really DP era but I do think the 2003 Victory Orb also provides somewhat of a comparison to the scroll.
No pokémon in the art, unique Holo design + release and all considered doing well for itself price-wise.

Side note: would have been awesome to see the 2003 victory ring get some form of Holo treatment

8 Likes