Recent auction ended for Master's Scroll

Scroll 10 ended last night, but reserve wasn’t met so relisted. Last copy before this sold for 19k. Thoughts?

4 Likes

I’m fairly risk-averse and anti-debt, but if someone offered me a 10 scroll for 16,900 I’d take out credit ASAPPP. Appreciate it didn’t sell for that price but still, damn.

3 Likes

Yeah, strange he’s using the reserve feature. I feel like I don’t see that very often. At least he’s using eBay’s reserve feature instead of just not going through with the sale.

Either way great card.

4 Likes

Definitely lowest price in years on a scroll. Kinda crazy.

1 Like

Allow me to quote myself from here What is the point of putting a reserve on eBay listings

A reserve bid signals “I am not a serious seller” in the same way that asking “what’s the lowest you’ll take” signals that you are not a serious buyer.

We can’t know the contrapositive situation though so we can’t definitively say if and how much a reserve hurt this auction

13 Likes

Very fair. It could have made potential buyers not bid. Thanks for the insight as always pfm!

Do I have a story for you.

So, I’ve talked to this seller on/off for a few months and learned the backstory. He is a normal guy who bought these cards in an estate sale-type of purchase many years ago. Had no clue what they were worth, and put them in a safe. Checked the safe many years later and couldn’t believe the price they had reached.

He asked me what they were worth (this card and a PSA 10 Shining Mew) and I told him honestly. I also offered to connect him with large consignment groups or private buyers to sell the scroll. For some reason, he thinks the scroll is worth $30,000, which is what he put the reserve at. I think greed is fueling his choices here, but it is 100% a real card and he is a pretty nice guy from everything that I could ascertain from our conversations.

Incredible story too, if it is true.

27 Likes

I’ve never bid on a reserve auction.

18 Likes

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Do you mind telling us what value you told him? Or maybe when? To understand if it was during the peak or more recently. Since 30k is quite a sum :smiley:

1 Like

Wild story if that’s how it went. Crazy to just have those and now know what they are

This was the backstory.

10 years it has been in a safe and I forgot all about them. Do you mind if I show you another card I dont know much about these cards I send the pic I just don’t know alot about Pokémon lol ty jimmy

O wow we were out at a flea market and they were in a box. I buy antiques from time to time. Or an estate sales. It’s been so long

Yes, absolutely. I told him roughly $20,000 and mentioned Heritage Auctions, Goldin Auctions, or PWCC Auctions. That was around 11/24/23. Most recently (this past week), I reminded him that the most recent sales were lower than his reserve.

We came up with 30,000 to see from other sells 36 to 59 so will seehow it does

Good luck, Jimmy. The most recent sales have been $19,800 on November 2023 and $21,600 on March 2022. You may want to price your card below that range for bidders to be encouraged. It’s unlikely to sell for above $30,000.

Ty so much we were in a bad car accident so we’re dealing with that mess

That is awful, I’m so sorry to hear that Jimmy. I hope that a good sale comes through to offset some of those costs. If you would like to sell it quickly for the $10,000-$20,000 range, I have some recommendations of who to contact.

14 Likes

Wow, a scroll at a flea market? Some dude’s mother just sold his prized card for pennies.

Guess who’s going to a nursing home.

6 Likes

not surprising he found it at an estate sale. i pulled a few of these as a kid and traded them in the playground. oh to be young.

sorry i know everyone is tired of this joke

3 Likes

Masters scroll was worth less than $1000 ten years ago so this is quite the come up. The greed is silly

3 Likes

I never touch anything with a reserve under any circumstance, I’m surprised someone even spent the time and allocated the resources to bid it up to 16k.

1 Like

That’s quite mind blowing to think about :exploding_head:

1 Like

I do wonder why the pop of the scroll is under 100 as a whole with CGC / BGS and PSA combined

Maybe this seller just has to be patient and wait as the low amount of these will be more realized and maybe bring up the price more ?

If a psa 10 scroll should be around 20k I wonder what the 9’s should be going for

Been thinking about this for a bit as its the goal card. An 8 sold recently for just under 10k and with a 15-20k 10, a 9 would be around 12-15k imo. That’s just based the the sales data though. The market can stay irrational longer than I can stay solvent lol

3 Likes

Also when you think about it , the unikarp is doubled the amount graded vs the scroll and that was awarded as a prize card over 10 years before the scroll yet the unikarp is much more valuable in price vs the scroll if I am correct

Crazy !

A lot of people like the fact there is a Pokémon and that it feels connected to something grounded like tournament. I love the scroll myself but I think it being newer affects it’s feeling of “vintageness” that people receive from old back trophies

2 Likes