Random Pokémon-related TIL moments

Last week I made a post in the Meme thread stating the following:

This week I also learned two more things:

1. Italian and German Crystal Boxtoppers were placed on the same uncut sheet (source).

2. The Aquapolis set contains a few Pokémon with an set number ‘a’ and ‘b’ variation, like Drowzee (which I personally already knew). What I didn’t know however, is that they are exactly the same card for this set, except for the E-reader dot code at the borders. I always (falsely) assumed they were two of the same cards with different artworks for the ‘a’ and ‘b’ set numbers, like the Yellow A Alternate ‘a’ numbering for the XY era. (Pictures for the Drowzee: 74a/147 and 74b/147.)

Since I personally love knowing these little facts about the Pokémon TCG, I figured I’d just make this thread. Everyone can share major or minor TIL (Today I Learned) moments they’ve encountered related to Pokémon. I will also add to this thread every time I learn something I didn’t knew about yet and is worth sharing (unless it fits in another category, like one of the existing articles).

Greetz,
Quuador

13 Likes

Awesome discussion topic Quuador. Two main TIL moments stand out to me:

1. Discovering Shadowless Base Set cards were a thing- I was 8 when the PTCG first hit the U.S and began collecting around the same time. I noticed that some of the base set cards I had looked different from the ones I bought later but never thought much of it. Once I got back into the hobby around age 20-21, I realized that I must have had some mixture of shadowless and unlimited.

2. Learning about the No Symbol Jungle Holo errors- Similar to the first TIL moment, I began getting packs of Jungle as it was released. I noticed that some of the holos didn’t have the jungle symbol and I thought they put secret base set cards into the Jungle packs lol.

Today I learned that XY generations had a “prototype” plane white booster box handed out to employees but never released. Found a old thread on here talking about it and this one listed on ebay. I remember a deriums video forever ago where he mentioned them as well, but it left my memory until I saw this one.

5 Likes

The bulbapedia page on the release of vintage tcg products is a pretty neat read through history, if your into sealed product. Always fun to learn and see the products released in those times

Here’s a link to ex series tcg merchandise

m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EX_TCG_Series_merchandise

2 Likes

Old Jumbo cards, Best Winner like Rocket’s Sneasel, Dark Ivysaur given out at Leagues were made in 2 “versions” The USA ones on thick cardboard, the European ones on paper.

2 Likes

The Italian 1st edition non-Holo Fossil Aerodactyl has an English 1st edition symbol instead of an Italian one:

https://instagram.com/p/BnWjK-tjJkk

Greetz,
Quuador

9 Likes

Oh, didn’t knew about this one. I know for Pokémon there are sometimes differences between print runs depending on regions. Some examples:

I also knew there were differences between US and Europe prints for the ridges of the Ultimate Rares of Yu-Gi-Oh cards (since I started collecting Yu-Gi-Oh rarities). :blush: (Hmm, might be similar for the ridges of Secret/Hyper Rares in Pokémon?)

But didn’t knew about these old English Jumbo cards having these kind of differences as well. Is the difference very noticeable with both cards in hand? I might want to pick up both version for one of the cheaper ones in that case. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

This is something I already know, so it’s not really a TIL for me. It is however a TIR (Today I Remembered) moment, after I came across them again. :wink: There are three miniature cards (Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup) from the 7-Eleven PokéBall Lottery campaign. As you can see in the bottom of this picture, they are smaller than regular TCG cards:

After seeing this, I wanted to take the opportunity to make this table with all Pokémon TCG cards I know in different sizes:

Card type Width (in mm) Height (in mm) Remarks / Picture-links
Regular-sized TCG card 63.0 87.0
Jumbo-sized TCG card 145.5 205.5
Teach Set 2000 86.5 142.5 Link
Teach Set 2008/2009 77.0 107.0 Link
Teach Sets 2011 (3x) 62.0 86.0 Link
7-Eleven Mini ~50* ~65* Link
Miniature Phone Charm 19.5 27.0 Link1 / Link2
Tropical Present Post Card 98.5 147.5 Link
‘Super’ Jumbo 399 561 Link1 / Link2 / Link3 / Link4 / Link5 / Link6
‘Ultra’ Jumbo ~1450* ~2000* Link1 (Japanese ‘Pokémon Bible’ page 345)

* I don’t have the card myself, so don’t know the exact measurements.

If you know any TCG cards of a different size, let me know. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

5 Likes

Thanks for posting, was totally unaware of these miniature cards, also that Ultra Jumbo card is a thing of sheer beauty, surely a must have for Pikachu Collectors like us!

:wink:

1 Like

TIL some Pokémon booster packs had ISBN codes. I always thought ISBN were only used for books, but apparently not.

Here an EX Sandstorm pack (on the left) with an ISBN:

Source.

Which can even be found at ISBN search websites. Apparently this pack was first sold in September 2003 for 3.29 USD. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Someone just posted this on reddit. The French Eevee from the Jungle Set has the wrong description of Ditto from the Fossil Set:

After the Italian Aerodactyl with English 1st edition stamp as error mentioned earlier in this thread, this is the second foreign error I know of. English/Japanese errors are more well-known, and most (not all though) can be found on Bulbapedia’s error cards page.

Greetz,
Quuador

5 Likes

Another foreign error, French again. The WotC #3 promo is called Deuxmiaou in French, which literally translates to “two meow”:

Even though Mewtwo is still supposed to be called Mewtwo in French (unlike a lot of other French Pokémon)…

Another thing I learned today, although most of you might already know this one:

Articuno; Zapdos; Moltres, where “uno dos tres” is of course “one two three” in Spanish. Never noticed this personally, tbh. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

7 Likes

I think I’ve already posted this once in the past, but since I was reminder by it two days ago as well as today, I’m just gonna post it here as reference for myself and anyone else interested:

Base Set Energies may all look very similar in all languages, but almost all of them can still be differentiated from one another (all the important parts are colored):

• English Shadowless (both 1st and non-1st): ©1995, 96, 98**, 99** + ©1999 + Energy
  • English unlimited edition: ©1995, 96, 98 + ©1999 + Energy
  • English unlimited edition UK 4th print: ©1995, 96, 98 + ©1999-2000 + Energy
  • Dutch (both 1st and UED): ©1999-2000 + Energie
  • German (both 1st and UED): ©1999 + Energie
  • French (both 1st and UED): ©1999 + Énergie
  • Italian (both 1st and UED): ©1999-2000 + Energia
  • Spanish from Latin America (both 1st and UED): ©1999 + Energía
  • Spanish from Spain (both 1st and UED): ©1999-2000 + Energía
  • Portuguese (both 1st and UED): ©1999 + Energia
  • Korean (both 1st and UED): ©1995, 96, 98 + ©1999-2000 + Energy
  • Chinese (both 1st and UED): ©1995, 96, 98 + ©1999-2000 + Energy

As you can see, the only ones you are unable to differentiate from one another are the 1st editions of the Korean or Chinese Energy cards (both ©1999-2000 + Energy), nor the unlimited editions of the English UK 4th print, Korean, or Chinese Energy cards (all three ©1999-2000 + Energy as well). For every other Energy you are able to determine its language based on the copyright year and Energy translation used.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

I was 12 when the TCG first came to the U.S. and it was huge in my school. Even back then my friends and I were all very wary of getting duped with fake cards, and for some reason we were all convinced that the best way to spot a fake was if it didn’t have a shadow around the border. Kids were sorting out their shadowless cards and throwing them in the garbage, refusing to trade for any, etc. It was notorious.

I hate to think about all the shadowless cards I traded away or refused to accept, because I managed to hang onto all my other cards into adulthood.

3 Likes

Someone asked me today how to recognize the language of a card. Although I personally recognize most language almost instantly by now, I can understand most people don’t. Yesterday I posted how to recognize the language for the Base Set Energies, but figured I’d just post how to recognize all languages as well for those interested. I may convert this into an article with pictures one day perhaps, but this will do for now:

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

TIL that the foreign VS cards from the Tyranitar Half Deck have the new Japanese back. Here for example the Italian Rapidash (currently on auction here):

I’m still hoping to one day see (or own) the Swedish / Danish ones to confirm they indeed exist.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

TIL that TMB events are for primary school kids and SSB events are for the more adult, high school kids.

The 1999 Challenge Road events (awarded the Exeggutor and Mewtwo Trophies) and 2000 World Challenge events (awarded the first Boy/Girl Trophies) hold true for this.

2 Likes

I was 100% convinced that Bronzong was a Generation 5 Pokemon, until a few weeks ago where I discovered it is a Generation 4 Pokemon.

1 Like

Some e-Reader cards have different e-Reader serial number variants.

Kecleon 001/P has 4, Z-01-a to Z-01-d:

4 Likes

These cards were prizes for the TMB, right? (hence the auction and promo logo in the corner) Each competitor was given a set in their language. Were there any Swedish/Danish competitors? If not I don’t think they exist.

I heard there were 27 English sets however I have yet to see any singles listed since I started collecting.