What's your Favorite Random Fact about the TCG/Hobby?

I’m always trying to learn more and more about the hobby so I would love to hear some random facts people would like you share. One of my personal favorites is that EX Legend Maker which heavily foreshadows/sets up later sets mainly EX Delta Species was actually released after EX Delta Species due to translation issues with the ladder mentioned set. Let me know some random facts you all have I’d love to hear them :blush: .

7 Likes

The most expensive cards (trophy cards) were given out for free

18 Likes

-Human beings have lived that are heavier than steelix at 400kg.

-Base set arcanine card description says it is a legendary pokemon. The test right below the artwork. Arcanine was originally intended to be a legendary,so I think this is either a nod or an oversight.

If I think of more I’ll come back.

15 Likes

Gyarados was originally meant to be some weird worm called Skullkraken:

17 Likes

Yeah I love that fact. I actually talked about how his name was originally Skullkraken in a youtube video I made. I find that name so cool.

1 Like

Did you know that Ekans is SNAKE backwards?

:open_mouth:

14 Likes

Big if true

5 Likes

And Arbok is Kobra. I know, I’m sure your mind is blown!

6 Likes

I’m glad they changed it. I don’t dislike the design above in general, but Gyarados’ design is SOOO much cooler!

As for some random facts I personally think are interesting (taken from my Today I Learned thread):

• Italian and German Skyridge Boxtoppers were placed on the same uncut sheet (source)
  • Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres end with the Spanish translations for “one, two, three”.
  • Likewise, Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon contain the German translations for “one, two, three”
  • There was a ten-character limit for the names of the first few generations of Pokémon names. This is the reason why for example Victreebel is with a single ‘l’ instead of being Victreebell (combination of victory, tree, and bell); and why it’s Feraligatr instead of Feraligator (combination of feral and alligator).
  • And there are some more interesting facts in the TIL thread I linked, although a bit too niche to mention here possibly.

Greetz,
Quuador

17 Likes

On that note, only 9 Pokémon currently have names longer than 10 characters: Barraskewda, Blacephalon, Centiskorch, Corviknight, Corvisquire, Crabominable, Fletchinder, Polteageist and Stonjourner. Crabominable is the longest at 12 characters. The two Pokémon with the shortest names are Muk and Mew.

4 Likes

Pokemon’s design as a card game was partly based on a fix to mana flood and mana screw in Magic the Gathering where too many or too little Lands (think energy cards) disabled the player from playing their cards.

Pokemon like Hitmonchan, Chansey, Electabuzz, and Scyther were part of the first meta in card playing since they did not require an evolution, used few energies, and had a high attack to HP ratio.

4 Likes

But do you know what Muk reads backwards?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

13 Likes

Hitmonchan is taken after Jackie Chan
Hitmonlee is taken after Bruce Lee

9 Likes

Clefairy was supposed to be the mascot of Pokemon. But at the last second they changed it to Pikachu.

7 Likes

There has only ever been one REAL “secret rare”, which is the 1st Edition Ivy Pikachu found in some few Jungle boosters.
It took nothing short of 20 years and the combined efforts of multiple e4 pros to solve the mystery surrounding its true nature: that it wasn’t some random error, but intentionally, secretly placed in the Jungle set.

17 Likes

@muk , that’s my favorite one.

Oh, and someone on ebay had that blister for sale a while back. I’m too lazy to check rn but I was shocked to see it. They were like, “I promise it’s real”.

Hilarious.

1 Like

Yes, there actually are six different Ancient Mew prints

3 Likes

Best one yet hahaha

Metang is an anagram for magnet. In german Beldum is Tanhel which is also an anagram for Hantel (Dumbbell).

7 Likes

That boxtopper fact is really interesting to hear thanks for sharing. I’d love to give a look at that thread thanks for sharing that too.

1 Like