Questions About Japanese Poster with English Base Pictures

Came across this post with closeups of this sweet poster (Japanese, with pictures of English Base Set) and had some questions:

https://instagram.com/p/CTH4WPzlZBL

Does anyone know when it was released/was it released before the first English Base Set cards were available?

The holos on the poster appear to have thin stamps: Does this show that thin stamps were released contemporaneously with thick stamps or even for a brief period before them?

Thank you!

2 Likes

The poster was included in the March 1999 issue of CoroCoro, which would have been released on February 15th 1999. As for your last question, Iā€™m not sure.

7 Likes

Just to dispute the ā€œItā€™s rareā€ claim: the March 1999 issue of CoroCoro Comic had 1.26 million copies sold, so it might be worth taking that with a pinch of salt. These usually sell for around $20 in Japan, before anyone rushes to eBay.

Very cool piece of PokƩmon history nonetheless.

10 Likes

I wish this were true. Ive been buying this poster for years. $20 is an absurdly low artificial price. They donā€™t consistently appear for sale, especially in the $20 range. Feel free to prove me wrong and send me every purchasable poster for $20. Iā€™ll pay a $20 finder fee for each one at that price!

6 Likes

Funny that this came up just now haha! Until today, I hadnā€™t seen any of these for sale, though I never look either, but I just saw one literally an hour ago appear in my recommended stuff on JP Mercari. Asking price 7600 yen. Not sure how many others are active, but yeah.

They donā€™t appear often but when they do theyā€™re usually listed for around that amount. Iā€™m still looking for some of the 2009 magazines so I trawl through Shogakukan listings quite frequently. I can let you know when I next see one listed if you like?

Hereā€™s one from March: page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m474835069; hereā€™s another from June: www.mercari.com/jp/items/m55620172654; another from April: www.mercari.com/jp/items/m29218152944, getting a bit pricier now but still around $30.

Honestly I wouldnā€™t pay more than $25 for one of these by itself as you can find copies of the magazines with all the appendix bits still attached for not too much more.

1 Like

Seriously message me anytime you see one for sale in that price range. I will pay the $20 finders fee indefinitely!

It can really be a pain in the ass to find old Coro stuff even though when you find it it is often affordable. Doubly so for inserts instead of cards. For example the poker cards here were a Coro insert that probably had around a million circulated as well: www.elitefourum.com/t/kagemaru-himeno-poker-set-mini-binder/32092/1

Sure a massive amount were produced but I spent months with no luck wasting hours searching corocoro and other key terms like appendix finding nothingā€¦ Purchased three comics from the correct month, all three were missing appendix. Ended up trading for them instead of trying to find online. I do know someone was able to eventually find a set for themselves for under fifty bucks but thereā€™s a big difference between "if I pay $50 I can get these cards " and.ā€œIf I search several hours a week I might find these and only have to pay $50ā€. I wouldā€™ve rather paid more upfront and saved the time.

6 Likes

@qwachansey, Yeah Iā€™ve been looking for a set and no luck for several months now

At the time I posted here. There were a few unsold listingings under various different search terms. They sell every now and again, usually precut cut (poorly) and have typically been played with.

I wouldnā€™t really refer to them as poker cards either - they are playing cards.

Same with the ones people erroneously refer to as poker cards from 1996, which are in fact Bridge cards.

ā€œPlaying cards come in two [standard] sizes - poker size and bridge size. Poker size is 63.5mm X 88.9mm. Bridge size is narrower at 56mm x 88.9mm.ā€ [source]

It even says it right on the webpage.

3 Likes

@rainbowgx, I was wondering why I had two different versions of those decks thank you for the info!

1 Like

@rainbowgx in the context of Pokemon cards, which are themselves ā€œplaying cardsā€, I find it is less confusing and helpful to use the term poker cards to mark the differentiation with TCG

1 Like

Thatā€™s a misnomer. Giving them an incorrect designation is not less confusing than an ambiguous one.

They are in fact titled playing cards, because of their ambiguous nature. Thatā€™s why they are a portmanteau of Playing cards & karuta. Which is like saying Karuta and other games.

At the end of the day you can call them what you what. Although I prefer to preserve history as accurately as possible as opposed to marketing them in an inaccurate light.

I would be surprised if even 1 kid ever played poker with them.

Anyone have any insight on the timing of thin/thick stamps based on this poster showing thin holo stamps?

Is any potential credence we could take on the thick/thin stamp from the timing of this poster possibly complicated by the fact that the image of the Mewtwo is not 1st edition? Anything that jumps out to explain that?

@zenasthelawyer @palmalade I donā€™t think too much can be determined from looking at the digital images of cards. My guess is that the poster was put together using regular shadowless cards and someone then had to painstakingly add the 1st edition image on top afterwards - human error would explain why Mewtwo is missing the stamp.

Almost all digital images of Japanā€™s Expedition set show the cards missing the 1st edition stamps even though the majority of cards in that set were never released as unlimited. There is a gap between the card design process and the card printing process which leads to discrepancies like this.

I was going to share this minty Japanese listing for one of these posters I found yesterday, but after seeing this eBay copy sell for $499 (which I can only assume was a fake buy) and where I donā€™t have one of these already I decided to stick a 3,500 JPY bid it myself. Lo and behold I won it for 3,100 JPY, the equivalent of $28.

Iā€™ll link any future copies I stumble upon here, but for reference all you need to search for is ć‚³ćƒ­ć‚³ćƒ­č‹±čŖž (CoroCoro English).

2 Likes

it wasnā€™t.

1 Like