Kagemaru Himeno Poker Set Mini Binder

This collection goal is technically still in progress, but given a sudden startling development, I feel compelled to share it sooner rather than later.

Earlier this week, two exciting events occured: I received my Kagmaru Himeno Poker set in the mail. And I did some spring cleaning and organized my desk drawers. The latter counts as exciting these days, and will shortly prove relevant.

The set in question was part of a special cardstock insert included in the January 1997 issue of CoroCoro comic, published December 1996 to celebrate the New Year. Each card is illustrated by Himeno, and most importantly, the set includes a unique Chansey art, first brought to my attention by @weekendwolf _.

Unique Chansey art, featuring Chansey escaping a PokeBall (bet your favorite Pokemon can’t do that):

After seeing the art, I had to get a set for myself. Finding the poker cards was tricky. There were no exact specific search terms, and my best shots at old CoroCoro items were listings unhelpfully titled “Corocoro old” or “Pokemon comic”. I’ve never sifted through so many Coro promos in my life. Some bulk lots from the 90s would have miscellaneous Coro stickers, pens, Topsun and Carddass, dice, square cards, other cut-outs, but never the poker set.

I resigned to finding the set the original way – by cutting it out from the comic myself. The source I relied on for info was a tumblr post by hirespokemonart which mentioned the January 1997 date. To cover my bases, I sourced and ordered multiple January 1997 editions, along with February
 And March
 all the way through June, just in case the date had been off.

It’s always fun to look through old CoroCoros and get a better insight into the the biggest craze of Japan in the late 1990s. I’m of course speaking of Mini 4WD, which seem to be customized toy cars built by a plastic or cardstock kit. Details about these 4WDs, sticker inserts, customization ideas, and anything you could think of take up more pages than Pokemon in most 1997 issues.

***I miss when I could still get my Mini 4WDs for cheap :sob:

***Alas, none of my Coros included the poker set. The closest I could find was a partial use of the Chansey art in a February issue. It was clear by the pages removed and sad gap in my January editions that someone long ago had cut out the poker set themselves, either on release nearly 25 years ago, or perhaps rediscovering in a dusty box a decade later and finding the art worth preserving if not the comic.

Fortunately and thanks to my new abundance of old Coros, I was able to arrange a trade with @cbd1235 , whose January edition still contained the original set.

I wanted to display the set in a binder, not as sheets. There were two obstacles here: the perforation marks in the cardstock are not actually perforations. They’re just guidelines for cutting, so I was paranoid about card damage. And I needed to find an adequate size binder for such small cards.

I finally landed on a binder that could store pages made for stamps and coins, buying various size sheets to see which would fit best. I expected these supplies to arrive today, but the tracking was off.

In anticipation of the binder arriving, this morning I began the process of cutting and sleeving the cards. Yes, sleeving. My goal is to create a mini-size binder that presents the cards the same way TCG cards are shown off. The cards are about 1.5x2 inches, so even the smallest stamp sleeves were too big. I improvised by using two sizes of coin sleeves to double sleeve each card. I hand-trimmed every plastic sleeve individually, which needed a hobby knife every time and had to be done multiple tries for non-jagged plastic lines. About a third of the way through, I realized I had spent an hour cutting baby sleeves to fit inside slightly-larger-still-mini sleeves, and questioned whether this was really necessary. But, I wanted to stay true. If I double sleeve my normal binder sets, I would do the same here.

I eventually finished, and since my binder hadn’t yet arrived, I put the cards in my newly designed drawer space.

This was a slide-out drawer under my desk I had cleaned this week to fit shipping supplies, and was quite pleased with how efficient and tidy it looked.

Another view of the drawers:

If you’re smarter than me, you might be thinking “Is it really a good idea to store paper supplies and cards right underneath an aquarium, with a precariously placed water glass as well?” And you’d be right!

Disaster struck this evening, as in the midst of changing the water for my aquarium (which always gets water on the desk), I knocked over the above glass, full of water at the time (the photo I used was taken after the scene of the crime). The drawers were NOT water tight. I opened them in horror to see water piling up on my precious and beloved poker set.

I immediately went into rescue mode, drying the cards with a cloth and on my over-heated laptop surface. Double-sleeving proved vital. Some outer sleeves were dangerously damp and needed replacing, but the inner sleeves on all were secure.

***Stressful!

Ready to have their outer sleeve trimmed once the binder arrives:***

I view it as a sign that my insane decision to double-sleeve these cards actually proved vital! Who would’ve thought. A good reason to double sleeve EVERYTHING.

As I wait for my binder to arrive to provide an update, my Poker set is now stored in an air-tight box with silica.

26 Likes

Super cool artworks I’ve never seen before! I’m kinda jelly actually. These kinda look like Himeno’s take on the 1997 Carddass set by Sugimori.

Also, is that a Trichogaster trichopterus in your Aquarium? I used to have a pair of them. Beautiful fish with interesting characters :blush:

3 Likes

Still hoping someone would sell these as individual cards at some point but i fear that may not be realistic hope :E i really wouldn’t want to go through the same kind of process than you did but let’s see how much my desperation will grow

1 Like

Dwarf Gourami :blush:

1 Like

Well, they’re related, so close enough for me :stuck_out_tongue:
Cool species nontheless :wink:

1 Like

This was a fantastic write-up, @qwachansey! Really looking forward to seeing your completed binder.

1 Like

Also just noticed that in the Charmander artwork, someone is using its tail to light a cigarette haha. That would be sooo incredibly taboo today. Very nice.

5 Likes

Yeah, these really are gems. Each has something unique and charming about it.

Someone mentioned the Kadabra with the sleeping cap in the other thread. I just noticed he has a bent fork as well! Haha. Incredible. And then there’s the Lickitung with the food, including a dead fish

Edit - I saved the pictures and kept looking at them. The Farfetch’d running from the yakitori (chicken kebab) joint also gave me a laugh.

4 Likes

UPDATE!!! :grin:

18 Likes

@qwachansey, This is really an awesome set! Thanks for sharing! Did you notice if it came with a script of some sort? It would traditionally look like another set of cards with one sentence on each.

This card set doubles as a complete set of poker cards (Japanese call them “Our honorable president”) as well as a Karuta set which uses the Japanese alphabet you can see on most of the cards. Karuta is a very old traditional Japanese type of playing cards. The basic way it’s played is that someone reads a sentence and the players have to find the card that matches that sentence. For example, I think the sentence for the Farfetch’d card probably starts with the Japanese word for fried chicken (yakitori), since the letter on the Farfetch’d card is “ya” (ă‚„ïŒ‰. This matches the picture of Farfetch’d running away from a yakitori stand. I just thought it would be cool to know all the captions that match each of these cards. Maybe someone on here could actually translate them all for us too.

Some other guesses:
Charmander’s letter is “ra” (ら), so the caption probably starts with word “light” (ăƒ©ă‚€ăƒˆ) which matches the cigarette picture.
Clefable’s letter is “ke” (け), so the caption probably starts with the word “kenka” (けんか) which means "to fight
and matches the picture of a fight breaking out.

2 Likes

Here’s an example of a more traditional set of Karuta cards with the matching caption cards. Hopefully this helps clarify what I’m talking about. :blush:

Uhh
not sure why “t r u m p” got replaced with “Our honorable president” in my first post, lol. I’m guessing there are reasons
 There is more than one way to use that word though. :wink:

@folid this may be what you are referring to?

2 Likes

@qwachansey, That’s exactly what I was looking for! Since I know you’re a Chansey fan, the Chansey caption says something like “Unlucky! I caught it but it ran away!” You probably know that the Japanese name for “Chansey” is “Lucky,” so it’s kind of a play on words.

I don’t know why they show a Pokemon on the top of each of the caption cards. They’re not related to the picture card at all, so I’m a little lost. For example, for the Chansey caption card, there’s a Mewtwo at the top. Maybe there’s another way to use it. Anyways, thanks for digging that up!

2 Likes

Here’s my horrible attempt at translating without a dictionary
 I hope someone better comes along to give us better translations.

Chansey - Unlucky, I caught it but it ran away
Charizard - Melting rocks and high temperature??
Bulbasaur - Being born with a seed on its back is strange, isn’t it?
Mew - The Pokemon that may never appear - Mew
Nidoking - Even though it’s a male, ?? - Nidoking
Rattata - Chew chew, its teeth can chew through anything???
Venusaur - Rather than beauty, ?? - Venusaur
Caterpie - You’ll be eaten! The ?? Pidgey is after you!
Clefable - Fighting??
Hitmonlee - ?? kick! My special attack.
Porygon - I’ll show you the power of ?? science!!
Dodrio - After evolving, three necks - Dodrio
Scyther - Hit it with a great ball!! - Scyther
Clefairy - ?? don’t be surprised by your own attack
Tauros - ??
Wigglytuff - ??
Dugtrio - ??
Blastoise - ??
Kingler - Harder than iron, scissors - Kingler
Mr. Mime - Suddenly pantomiming to fool humans
Kadabra - I don’t know why, but I saw this when I woke up
Machamp - Amazing ability to throw 1000 punches in two seconds
Haunter - ?? it appeared from the darkness - Haunter
Snorlax - Always sleeping, eating when it wakes, it’ll get fat
Jigglypuff - ?? mad at everything
Zapdos - ?? and crackling, god of birds
Ponyta - In one jump, it can jump over Tokyo Tower
Butterfree - Can fly even in the rain - Butterfree
Arbok - ?? glare, can’t move, scary ability
Onix - ??
Arcanine - ??
Articuno - Beauty that will steal your heart
Mewtwo - ?? unopposed, invincible, Mewtwo
Nidoqueen - Even though it’s female, it’s scary when it’s mad
Moltres - Feathers as if on fire, beautiful fire bird
Farfetch’d - I won’t let you make me into yakitori!!
Drowzee - Dream eater hypnosis Pokemon ??
Pikachu - Even walking the streets at night, it’s safe if Pikachu is there!!
Charmander - This tail can even replace a lighter
Magneton - ??
Jynx - Can’t understand what Jynx is saying
Venonat - Eye that can act like radar???
Vulpix - Vulpix’s six tales are so beautiful
Psyduck - Psyduck’s splitting headache???
Slowbro - Huh? Something’s got my tail!?
Dratini - (no caption)
Poliwag - (no caption)
Gloom - (no caption)
Seaking - (no caption)
Lickitung - (no caption)
Voltorb - (no caption)
Meowth - (no caption)
Muk - (no caption)

7 Likes

Ahaha this is great! Thank you :grin:

Really looking forward to your buy thread haha

5 Likes

Just to add to this.

Pocket Monsters Blue Version - ăƒă‚±ăƒƒăƒˆăƒąăƒłă‚čă‚żăƒŒăƒ–ăƒ«ăƒŒăƒăƒŒă‚žăƒ§ăƒł
* Gold * - ă‚ŽăƒŒăƒ«ăƒ‰ (emphasising special celebrations)
Playing cards & karuta - ăƒˆăƒ©ă‚«ăƒ«ă‚ż (a portmanteau of tru.mp (which is what western playing cards are called in Japan) and “karuta”)

The cards are celebrating both the Japanese Pokemon Blue version (exclusively available through CoroCoro at the time to its subscribers) and the New Year (1997).
That’s why the visual theme is around Pokemon Blue, with Blastoise and the above Japanese also on the box.
But some of you may be thinking - why so late? Wasn’t the blue version released on October 15? It turns out that it’s the official launch date, but ‘the earliest a fan could hope to get their hands on Blue was actually in early December
’.

This CoroCoro Magazine issue (cover dated January 1997) was released 13th of December. The CoroCoro monthly magazine is always released on the 15th of the preceding cover dated month, unless it falls on a weekend in which instance it falls on the Friday before the 15th as it has here.
So it seems to fit together.
I like it a lot.

5 Likes