Question about Gold Stars

Hey people!

So I really like Gold Star cards and I’m interested in putting together a collection.

One thing I noticed is that the Legendary Dogs seem much cheaper than a lot of other Gold Star cards. Is there a specific reason? Are they less rare than others?

These seem like awesome cards regardless but the difference in price took me by surprise!

@fourthstartcg you know the drill haha

5 Likes

Did I do something wrong? I’m sorry if I did :sweat_smile:

Google ‘Raikou gold star cardhouse’ and you can read all about it :blush:

So yes, they are more common.

1 Like

You did nothing wrong. In short, a TON of gold star dogs were illegally obtained and slowly released to the market by a certain, large European seller. Hence their cheaper prices.

1 Like

No worries, this question is asked a lot!

VERY long story short, an individual who now goes by the name cardhouse.eu was able to obtain hundreds if not thousands of uncirculated copies of these gold star cards. While the pull rates in EX Unseen Forces are the same as any other gold-star-era set, these unreleased copies were consistently pumped onto the market both graded and ungraded. This is why the pops are so high and the prices are relatively low compared to other gold star cards. There’s no way to tell whether a card was “legitimately” released from a pack or part of cardhouse.eu’s illegal horde.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for all the info everyone!

I found this thread as well which was also a good read www.elitefourum.com/t/mystery-of-the-entei-suicune-and-raikou-goldstars/13863/1

Still would love to add these to my collection eventually but it is good to have this information!

It’s a shame as they are really great looking cards and cap off an awesome set. EX unseen forces holos/reverse holos + EX art + gold star art ties together nicely and is one of my fave sets

3 Likes

Yeah!! I love the dogs, the cards are great and the set seems great, and they are Gold Stars so I was just taken aback!

Yeah, it’s really unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on how you view it) because these would be some of the most desirable gold stars if not for this controversy. They’re among the nicest looking, IMO. If the guy was smart and didn’t film a video of him flipping through binders with thousands of these, he could’ve slowly released them into the wild, avoided saturating the market, and made a lot more money.

3 Likes

Yeah probably not smart (but good for collectors) for them to put that info out there lol

At that point you should probably go full scumbag :joy:

1 Like

It makes me wonder if anyone has ever similarly obtained large quantities of other cards, but didn’t publicize it. It certainly indicates that it’s possible.

2 Likes

Im sure I saw someone with an army of WOTC aerodactyl somewhere, it might’ve been youtube I can’t remember.