Some older cards pricing.

Hi all, long time semi serious collector here thats recently just joined this community again after quite a few years away! After getting back into it, I’ve really gotten back into this hobby through watching a lot of you guy’s videos on the youtube. Pricing is something I struggle with. Whats the best way to price cards (older cards that is), I usually use Sold listings on eBay but for some cards you can’t even find them.

Cards I’m interested in knowing the price are of the Neo Shining’s (1st and unlimited) as well as Gold Star cards. These 2 types have always interested me the most and before I stopped I managed to assemble quite a few of them so would appreciate help on pricing! I respect most of you guys will be dealing in dollars, but I’m from the UK so pounds will be great thanks!

1 Like

Welcome to the fourum!

Currently, eBay completed listings is honestly your best resource. There isn’t a proper price guide, as price ranges are very fluid. Most individuals make an estimated guess off of the completed listings.

If there’s no completeds then check the actives to at least get some ideas.
Plus, you didn’t mention conditions of your gold stars and shinings when inquiring about value. Like most collectibles, condition is the biggest determinate of price. A Mint card can make a ten times difference in price over a ex/mt card.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the replies! Sorry for not being specific - I meant Nm - Mint +! I agree will just keep ploughing away at eBay. It’ just some cards of the same class are worth so much more than others e.g. Legendary dogs Gold Stars are worth far less than any other. I’ve done some research on it and tracked it back to a guy who has 5000 of each of these or something? Could someone give me some more knowledge on this whole topic? Unsurprisingly a very controversial topic!

1 Like

You are likely refering to cardhouse eu. He always has the 3 dogs for sale.

I don’t think anyone knows how he exactly got all those gold stars, but he almost certainly got them illegitimately.

1 Like

Not Doghouse EU, but RenazJuve. There was a video of him showing them off a couple years ago which I cannot find - which I could have seen it.

Anyway, for a specific pricing, could anyone tell me how much the entire Gold Star Set is worth ungraded in NM - Mint (25cards, EXCLUDING the POP 5 ones). Would be really appreciated!

He has gone by both names depending on the time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5r6kM0tkQs

@garyis2000 says to be leary of gold stars and is very knowledgeable on Pokemon stuff… It sounds like some other gold stars may have had these shady instances of thousands being printed and hoarded and illegitimately taken from the factory. Mostly conjecture/anecdotes at this point. Besides the unseen forces hoard. That is fact. What else is out there, whoever knows nobody is talking.

2 Likes

This is pretty spot on! There were rumors of individuals offering large amounts of gold stars during the gold rush. This was the only one that became public.

I do know of another instance in which someone obtain gold stars pre-distribution. However, the amount was much smaller than these dogs.

Yeah thats the one! Pretty insane and disappointing something like that has occurred tbh, but you’re right - a good reason to stay away from Gold Stars, which is a shame since the cards look amazing.

Gold Stars could prove to be a goldmine or fools gold.

2 Likes

Gold stars are great for collecting. They are some of the best cards released in a set, iconic and great to collect.

What Gary is cautioning is more in relation to sellers buying a ton of gold star cards. Basically if you bought multiple of those dogs, they only depreciated since that Netherlands seller started selling.

1 Like

The fortunate side is that the mass seller demands a certain price and refuses lower ones, so it’s not completely tanking the market. You can still do alright on them.

1 Like

It really is surprising though how much the dogs still fetch. It seems like they should be lower than they are. They are the only star that has ALWAYS been available on eBay for the past few years. No need to search much. He has sold tons of sets of the three for $100 each and the pop reports are several multiples higher graded than any of the other gold stars yet they still fetch ~$50 each for 9’s and $80-100+ each or so for 10s.

That is nowhere near Ray, Mew, Pika, or Charizard obviously, but is reasonably close to the 3 original eevolutions, regis and some other of the less popular ones too. I mean ex power keepers I think had a high print rate as box availability was much more plentiful recently than any other ex series sets, but the pop reports are still way behind unseen forces.

1 Like

Pretty much agree with what you guys have said. Pop 10 population of the dogs are roughly 60 - 75 of each in PSA 10, whilst over gold stars are around 25 or lower in 10.

Tis true though, I do own a set of 10’s of the dogs and not sure if to hold onto them for a little longer or drop them out now. They’ll be the most volatile by a lot.

1 Like

Theres only one hoard and thats the english legendary dogs. Noone has been seen with a hoard of japanese or any other english gold stars.

Somone got like 100 japanese rayquaza’s or somethng but not 1st edition… only unlimited, and latios and latias i think… But most the quaza have been sold and graded.

From what i have seen, this was the only set and theres about 15,000 of each or 15,000 in total cant remeber from who ever took dem.

1 Like

Got another quick question that is - if any of youse have bought / sold a complete Base, Jung , Fossil and Team Rocket lot in one, how much is a good price? Got an offer from someone for £300 for the 4 sets which is fairly decent I think? The cards are NM/Mint.

1 Like

If they are unlimited that’s still fairly low think you should look to get £500 for the 4, but just my opinion

I think 300-350 is pretty good.

Holy COW.

That’s… well. Kind of a ridiculous amount of just one card. ://

1 Like