Gold Star Legendary Dog Bubble - The Now

For those of you around at the time, there was a pretty notorious seller from The Netherlands who had a few thousand of each gold star legendary dog in NM/M, through a presumably illegitimate source given the quantity (1 every 72 packs x lets say 5000 in total = 360,000 Unseen Forces packs, quite unlikely, but maybe Elon Musk would do this).

Hence, during the gold star bubblebathbath these 3 cards never saw the same prices as the other gold star cards, and rightfully so.

However, 5-6 years on it seems the community has perhaps forgotten about this, or maybe the newer collectors are not aware of this because I see the recent prices of these cards are pretty respectable now at approx. $400 - $500 for a PSA 10 of one.

What are everyone’s thoughts and opinions on this? I was always under the impression and thought that no matter what these cards would never see a price rise given the saturation and tainted history, but clearly I am wrong - like much of my thoughts and assumptions on this hobby!

4 Likes

PS I have no idea why this is showing as ‘bubblebath,’ it should be bubble but whenever I edit it, it does not work… it’s here to stay I guess!

1 Like

www.proboards.com/admin-guide/forum-settings/censored-words

The forum was inundated with topics about bubb​les so one of the admins here decided to apply a word filter. I think it might have been an April Fool’s joke that they forgot to remove (bubb​le → bubb​lebath).

The problem is that Proboards is kinda crappy forum software and their devs didn’t implement the filter in a sensible way, so instead of only filtering exactly the word “bubb​le” once it is first posted, it filters any words that may contain the word and re-applies the filter every time the post is updated or quoted. In mapping “bubb​le” to “bubb​lebath”, the mapped word still contains “bubb​le” and will have the filter reapplied every time - even when quoting.

Not all that difficult to work around such a filter, either.

If those dogs weren’t tampered with they might have been up there as among the most desirable gold stars. It truly is a shame.

11 Likes

Compared to all the other gold stars they are still the cheapest, 5000 copies isn’t a huge amount to be absorbed pretty easily into people’s collections

4 Likes

its divine retribution for all of u calling them dogs

2 Likes

TBH, I think many casual collectors don’t know about this. I was planning to buy them myself last year (just when I started collecting again), until I read the story about them here. Sucks that this guy got away with it.

1 Like

Same here, I love the artwork on all of them, and it wasn’t until I started digging around on forums and watching Scott’s videos that I learned of their history. Certainly new collectors wont be aware of this unless they go out of their way to find out.

Is there a link to read more about this crazy story?

Lots of info here: www.elitefourum.com/t/mystery-of-the-entei-suicune-and-raikou-goldstars/13863/1

2 Likes

At the end of the day, demand >>>>> supply

2 Likes

as bad as the source of the extra cards is, as of now the pop report for PSA 10 still only shows roughly 2x the more populous gold stars like the eeveelutions from power keepers. obviously no way to know how many gem mint cards the guy with the big stash is holding back on grading so the pop report doesn’t get trashed. I’m not long on the card values, but I don’t think the cards are worthless either

1 Like

He was dumb enough to post a video of all 5000 as a flex, I doubt he’s considered deliberately withholding the gems to manipulate the pop report lmao.
Didn’t Tnt end up buying the stash?

1 Like

Until PSA starts shipping out fresh slabbed cards. For whoever has the hoard of these cards, it is an easy arbitrage opportunity but that person might be more strategic about how they dump the hoard. He isn’t going to mass grade them because he knows that people look at the PSA pop report as a way to determine how “rare” a card is.

Cardhouse EU seems to have a continuous supply of them

Has this person sold all their copies? If not, then they have the majority off the open market in their binders. Extra copies of GS Dogs, no-one wants to buy, extra copies of Trophies everyone loses their minds.

He is clearly still slowly leaking them into the market when one of his sets sells on ebay. I know he doesn’t have them all though. Back in 2017 I bought raw copies from a seller in Wisconsin who had roughly 600 of them. I could have bought at $40 each. I only bought one of each and graded 2 10s and a 9.

Entei is based on a dog.

The market is large enough to absorb them.

2 Likes

So there are even more of them?
Let’s not kid ourselves. If these were any other cards, it wouldn’t be as bad. But one of the defining features of the Gold Stars is that they are supposed to be rare. Few set cards have a pull ratio of 1:72 or lower. So for the 3 legendary beasts to have so many ‘illegal’ copies in circulation hurts not only the legendary beasts, it also casts doubt on the other Gold Stars, no matter how small that doubt might be.
Screw whoever leaked those cards. Screw them.