PSA mistakenly graded a Korean Shining Legends Mew?

Hey everyone!

This one’s interesting - a few weeks ago I came across a PSA 9 Korean Shining Legends Mew on eBay and I had to do a double take! We all know PSA only grades base set Korean, so I messaged the seller to ask where they’d bought it from. I got a reply back saying it was purchased at a ‘high-end auction’ and that they weren’t aware of PSA not grading this set.

So, what do you think?! Did PSA make a mistake and grade it thinking it’s Japanese? I guess that would make it quite a rare easter egg. Or did someone, somehow, swap out the Japanese Mew for a Korean one?

Thoughts welcome! :grin:

Just a card that slipped through I´d assume, there´s multiple graded german, french and other foreign post base set cards graded by PSA that flew under the radar somehow :wink:

2 Likes

PSA have a bit of a reputation for mislabelling things.

That said, in the case of this Mew it could simply be that the submitter claimed it was Japanese and PSA just rolled with it - however it’s not exactly hard to tell when something is in Japanese vs. Korean. PSA have a habit of not really doing much due diligence.

1 Like

@shadowless, @pichufan - Ha! Thanks guys! I didn’t know PSA was like that. Makes me wonder whether I should chance it!

1 Like

You could do what that guy with the german gold star rayquaza did and charge 1000% times the english value due to psas error

4 Likes

RARER THAN ENGLISH!! POP 1!

4 Likes

shhh if PSA finds out they’ll threaten to ban them from PSA grading unless they send it back

1 Like

Don’t forget the flames and swirl signs!

1 Like

PSA started grading foreign cards from after the DP era, so that Korean Shining Mew is not a mistake. I’ve heard this directly from a PSA employee. (The German Rayquaza GS from a few years back was a mistake, though.)

Greetz,
Quuador

You sure? I can’t find any in the pop report or update about this. I have a few Russian cards I want in slab

You can ask PSA themselves to verify. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The PSA employee I spoke with said they would grade non-English/non-Japanese from after the DP era from now on, but it would be best to ask first for niche languages like Russian or Indonesian for example. She said French and other European languages wouldn’t be a problem to send in, though.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

@quuador, Big news to me if they are grading non english or japanese cards now. I will have to look into it!

Also just noticed on the label of that card it says “JPN” so it does seem like PSA thought it was a japanese card.

3 Likes

I was curious about this and I think I found the source. The Card-Dex on Pokemon.com is available in a number of languages but only after the DP era. I bet thats what the rep means about “sources have become available”

Example: www.pokemon.com/es/jcc-pokemon/cartas-pokemon/platinum-series/pl4/1/

1 Like

No way, that’s really interesting. I’ll have to get in touch because I want to grade some Shining Legends and CP6 cards. Thanks!

Hardly matters anyway. By the time you get them back they’ll probably be grading 2022 Tunisian Half Arts🥴

3 Likes