PSA 9 SHADOWLESS BASE SET CHARIZARD MARKET PRICE?

I was wondering what price, you as Pokemon Collectors, believe a PSA 9 Shadowless Base Set Charizard is worth in today’s market? Just want to make sure I am not overpaying for a card listed at/around $1,400. Thanks for any help/insight on the current market for these cards. Thanks.

1 Like

I feel that 1300-1500 is fair in the market right now.

1 Like

I believe the card sold for $2000 six months or so back, with multiple other sales above $1500. The price has dropped significantly and now the market value seems to be close to your estimate of $1400

1 Like

~£813 I’d pay

Welcome to the forum!

You can use several different web tools to help you see past sold prices. There is obviously Ebay sold listings history which shows up to three months of sales. For best offer listings you will have to use another website that shows you what offer got accepted. I use this one.

There’s PSA’s price data which is pretty good but misses a few listings here and there. A member here, @pierce has used this to create a website for us called pokemonprice.com which you can also try.

Then there’s PWCC’s new market price research section which is great because you can go back many years into the past and see what a card used to sell for. You will have to register as a PWCC member to have access.

I’m very familiar with PSA 9 and 10 Shadowless sales so I can tell you first hand that Charizard is an easier card to price due to the number of sales and fairly reasonable liquidity. Remember though that it depends on the specific card in question. There’s plenty of PSA 9’s out there that I wouldn’t pay $1000 for but there’s certain ones I’d value several hundred dollars higher in today’s market even though they are the same grade. It’s all preference; color, centering, edge wear, holo scratches, silvering… these are all factors that you should take into account if you’re picky like me. I’ll give you another data point by telling you I’ll be picking up a card today for $1500 cash to trade for a mint 9 Shadowless Charizard. You might see auction prices fall lower but keep in mind supply has been high for the past few months and even so the price has been $1000+ for a year now with probably 40+ sales since then.

Best of luck.

9 Likes

Shadowless 8-10 holos are very undervalued at the moment. Anything under $1500 for a legitimate PSA 9 Charizard is worth it and you’re almost guaranteed to make bank in the long run. I sold multiple copies earlier this year for financial reasons, all between $1800-2000. I’m going to regret those sales in the future.

1 Like

I’d say those are solid sales. You may regret those prices years down the road, but not anytime soon.

2 Likes

I let a very nice copy go for $1400 cash a couple days ago. It was a bit less than what I wanted, but cash is king. Over time, I believe we’ll start seeing more price disparity within specific grades. Not all 8s, 9s, and 10s are equal. Price relativity helps, although it should never be an exact science.

1 Like

The card peaked around $2500 when 1-2 were available. Now it’s around $1500 due to 5-10 times the availability. I’ve bought and sold both during the height and low of valuation. Classic supply & demand.

2 Likes

No they’re not.

I’m going to say the say thing whenever I see someone use the “U-word”.

These card’s aren’t undervalued. They’re exactly where they need to be. They peaked during the great bull market of 2017 and now they’ve settled. Everyone is aware of their rarity, everyone knows how expensive a bona fide shadowless box is.

What people don’t get is that shadowless just isn’t 1st base. It will never be desired to the same extent as 1st base. The price will grow much more slowly than 1st base.

The cards which are truly undervalued are the cards nobody is looking at which have that perfect storm of rarity and scarcity.

4 Likes

I might be completely wrong, but I feel like shadowless prices have settled to roughly 50% of their 1st edition counterparts. I don’t see why they wouldn’t continue to stay in that zone and keep pace with 1st editions growth. I feel like people know shadowless is never going to be 1st, but the cards are literally the exact same cards in all other aspects. I don’t think 1st will explode without shadowless trailing and keeping pace at its current rate at least.

1 Like

@budget hit it on the head! I remember talking about why Shadowless will never outpace 1st Edition. The term “Shadowless” alone is nuanced. Where 1st Edition is ubiquitous for every collector, not just in pokemon. Also 1st Edition has one of the most comprehensive and accurate pop reports. Where shadowless will never have a full timeline, as it wasn’t distinguished until later down the road.

Keep in mind I own a ton of both Shadowless and 1st Edition. They are similar to Alpha & Beta in MTG; both are valuable and historic in their own right.

1 Like

Remember all the threads in 2017 of people jerking themselves off saying shadowless was going to outpace 1st edition. I kept bashing my head against the wall every time that prediction came up. I gave up telling people it was a nonesense prediction. It’s easy to say something has little supply, but people need to realize the damand for the card is just as important.

2 Likes

I’m fully aware that I’m cherry picking this data, but it certainly can happen. I’m not saying to liquidate your 1st Edition Nidokings in favor of Shadowless, just that it can happen in specific instances. This was a 20 second search by the way, but it’s the most obvious one I could think of. I’m not 100% sure about any other cases.

1 Like

Shadowless is da real MVP :sunglasses:

Nobody was saying shadowless psa 9 chansey, they were saying shadowless. there’s huge difference between one card in a specific grade vs the entire set.

True, but to be honest your examples are even worse, we don´t even know which condition we´re talking.

Really? Who cares. 1st ed chansey go for $30-$150, the most raw versions of shadowless goes for around $5-$60. That’s clearly not the point of my post.

It’s not even a debate. 1st Edition, IN GENERAL AND AS A WHOLE, is more valuable. There are specific examples of certain cards that have bypassed 1st prices. Full disclosure: Eliminate me from the Shadowless Chansey equation and the price would likely be half of what it is.

The select shadowless cards that surpass 1st ed are an argument from exception. They are also great examples of scarcity, which is the number one reason why charizard and shadowless in general has changed in the past year. The cards simply aren’t as scarce as previously thought.