1st Edition Base Set Charizard PSA 9 price?

Hi all. I’m finally looking into adding a 1st edition Charizard to my collection. But with how crazy the prices have been recently I’m unsure what’s a fair price for one.

There’s this that went on bid for $5500 only a few days ago: www.ebay.com/itm/1st-Edition-Base-Shadowless-Charizard-PSA-9-/283755702603?hash=item421128694b%3Ag%3AwCcAAOSwA75eA07z&nma=true&si=HXyBqkhQ2nBZxAN6ST7pZFyU7tQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Then there’s this up for bid at around $7k now: www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-1999-1st-Edition-Shadowless-CHARIZARD-PSA-9-4-102-Holo-rare/274232221435?hash=item3fd9839efb:g:g4MAAOSwH8VeLvYx
Was the first listing just a crazy good deal that slipped under the radar or are these prices a bit out of control? Thanks!

They usually go for around $5200-$5500.

Hmm okay, thanks. Wonder whats going on with that current auction then.

Perhaps it’s a very strong 9? I haven’t looked at it though, I’ll have to check later

Prices seem to be all over ranging from $5500-$6000+. PWCC sold one for $6300 in December. Under sold listings some ebay user kept re-listing his Charizard about 3 times after each time it sold in auction then finally accepted a best offer. The cheapest one right now is 6k or best offer on ebay. The one with the 7100 bid is actually a pretty strong 9. The 5500 listing you posted was on bid with best offer so it could’ve went for more or less than $5500. If you can manage to get one for around $5500, that would be a solid price.

I wouldn’t analyze this too much, there’s so many variables. The number if available buyers at any given time is not very large so variation like this is not unexpected. No one really bats an eye when an item sells for $55 one day and $70 the next. This is the same thing with a few extra zeros.

The more competitive your offer is the faster you’ll get the card. If you prefer a stronger 9 or thick/thin stamp, you might have to adjust what you would pay on a per-card basis. If you’re trying to save money, find the average sale price and aim under that while being patient

4 Likes

The $7K one looks a lot stronger than the $5.5K one, but I’ve seen strong 9s go for less than $7K as well. I think most of the price difference is due to randomness and the bidders instead of actual strength of the grade. Regardless, $5.5K is not unreasonable right now, so I think it’s realistic to try to obtain one at about that price.

Alright thanks for your input everyone. Think I’ll wait a little bit. I’m not to keen to pay extra for strong grades unless I see them in person, because I almost always find some little blemishes that I couldn’t see in the photos once I get the card.

Wont pay more than 5500 for one, not a scarce item.

2 Likes

Price isn’t based on scarcity alone, there are 5x the number of PSA 9 1986 Fleer Jordan rookie cards then the PSA 9 charizard and they sell for more than 5500 - they are in no way considered scarce either.

2 Likes

I ment there is always one in the market available, so price did not increase like crazy in the past years.

The $7k one looks real nice. In my opinion you might as well spend the extra $2k for the strong/clean version

1 Like

I am amazed by the stability of the price of the card the last few years like @papafrankgod says. But 5k+ is somewhat of a psychological barrier I guess. Also the entire 1st base cards haven’t moved a lot.
Don’t mind the card is not that scarce though, it’s a must have and an icon! And 9’s are still somewhat in reach for most collectors.

4 Likes

Sellers need to learn that just 2 blurry pictures is not enough, it will turn many buyers off. That 7k one has 11 pictures, it’s a nobrainer that it will attract more people, therefore earn a much higher price.

For people who buy the grade 2 blurry pictures is enough. So if you have a 9 card ranging more to an 8 this could be a dodgy way to lure the not so well educated collector :blush:.

There’s one for sale now that’sisted at 5,999.99 or best offer. I’d take a look at that one because although the centering issue is probably why it got a 9, it looks really good! You can probably get it for like 5700

1 Like

Well, I sold my 1st Ed psa 9 for £5500 two days ago (approx $7050 usd) but I ended up cancelling the transaction and refunding the buyer.

PayPal pulled this “hold your money for up to 21 days” bullcrap and I’m simply not sending something of that value until the funds are cleared. Sorry.

No doubt buyer will be pissed off but I’m done with PayPal, looking for an alternative to sell my items.

1 Like

I don’t blame you. That’s a long ass time to hold money

I sold my PSA 9(OC) one today for $6,700 (not through eBay) which might give a bit more credibility to the upper end ($6K or so) of valuation!

1 Like

It really depends on so many factors… The actual condition of the card, the patience of the seller, luck, etc. To add another data point here, I’ve gotten 5 offers at or above $6000 for my BGS 9 so far.

1 Like