PSA 10 Dark Charizard 1st Edition

The price point on these are consistently around 1k now. I remember just a little over a year ago it seemed PWCC was always listing 2 or 3 at a time and they ended up selling below $400.

I personally think this card, being a WOTC 1st edition Charizard, was bound to rise and probably won’t look back now. There’s been some rapid growth this past year and supply is not where it once was.

What are your thoughts on this card?

2 Likes

Most 1st edition WOTC holo’s have seen a rise the last few moths/year.
Not surprising this Dark Charizard is following the same trend.
Great art, supply is drying up, 1st edition, Charizard, yes please!

2 Likes

You shouldn’t be too surprised. This card has it all. Nostalgia, Charizard, old school, great art, rarity, wotc, and difficult to grade.
I believe this card went up to about $700 before dropping again to $400 but it’s unlikely that it will drop very far from where it’s at now. Honestly, I might pick up a PSA 9 just to have it again.

1 Like

Would not say hard to grade with 387 10’s and 1020 9’s…

www.pokemonprice.com/CardDetails/fc01ee04-bf9c-4a70-853a-6f9ce74d67fd/dark-charizard-holo-1st-edition

1 Like

77% of the pop is Mint 9 or Gem Mint 10. This gives it the seventh lowest percentage of mint grades in the holo set. Also consider that it has been graded considerably more than any other card in the set.
Mint (9 and 10) to total population percentage of holos:
Arbok 90%
Alakazam 90%
Blastoise 67%
Charizard 77%
Dragonite 75%
Dugtrio 74%
Gyarados 95%
Golbat 83%
Hypno 89%
Machamp 81%
Magneton 54%
Slowbro 96%
Vileplume 78%
Weezing 92%
Here Comes Team Rocket! 92%
Rocket’s Sneak Attack 86%
Rainbow Energy 68%
Dark Raichu 73%

Given this information it is relatively hard to grade. Obviously not to the extent that Dark Magneton is but still. We are spoiled with mint cards in this hobby.

2 Likes

Compare that to Hidden Fates Zard though…

2 Likes

$1000? Damn…
It wasn’t more than 6 months ago that you could get for $450-$550 on pwcc like clockwork. Interesting

1 Like

Your data doesn’t necessarily imply the card is a difficult grade. It’s more likely the case that people are willing to submit a lower condition Charizord than a Slowbro for instance.

To answer the original question, I would be cautious when you have something hitting like pop 400+. That is a large supply will probably prevent significant growth because there is a good chance for the equilibrium to shift to a lower price when a portion of the hundreds of people who own the card can make a quick $500-$600

1 Like

I agree, I think the Dark Charizard and the Blaine’s Charizard have been undervalued for far too long. To think the modern hyper Zard at one point was in the same range as these two just confused me. The Dark and Blaine’s are two of the best Zards in the hobby both in artwork and where they land historically being WOTC 2nd and 3rd english Zards.

2 Likes

Compared to most other set Charizards in this price point, it’s *relatively* hard to grade… Crystal and Shining Charizard are around 1:1 PSA 9:10 whereas this is 3:1. Blaine’s and Charizard ex FRLG are less than 2:1. Only Plasma Storm is harder to grade.

1 Like

The current market has exploded in a sharp uprise in prices across the board. Honestly the last 4 months remind me of the pokemon go/crypto price boom. Maybe detective pikachu has had an impact or possibly some speculative investors are putting capital into the collectors markets due to the shape of the economy.

What ever it is there has been a massive spike in wotc product and it feels like it has caught many people out who havnt adjusted to it yet.

1 Like

We’ve seen big booms before, but the holiday season is coming and traditionally cards get sold quite cheap for people to free up money. Don’t be surprised when you see it again

remember not to panic sell :wink:

2 Likes

The pop report can have a learning curve. I would wager most of the cards in rocket were pulled directly from a pack. Rocket didn’t have the same cost barrier, as it was significantly cheaper than most wotc sets. I definitely think its “easier” to grade than jungle fossil, but its no charizard gx.

1 Like

I always take 1100.00 and throw in a PSA 10 Japanese TR Char.

1 Like

Happens every Christmas. Always a good time to be buying at Christmas time usually. Ive got some decent bargains last few Decembers.