Crystal Charizard PSA 10 underpriced?

Something I have noticed was the difference between zards and other cards in their particular sets was their price difference. Whenever there is a Charizard in a set, it’s often twice as expensive 2nd most valuable card as the set.

I will be comparing PSA 10 variants, I will exclude cards with low pop (as their price is mostly driven by their scarcity)
I have also excluded the legendary collection charizard, as I can’t explain the big price difference on that card.

Some comparisons:
1st edition base Charizard: 18-20k
1st edition base Blastoise: guessing 7,5k-8k from what i’ve seen for most recent sales.
Price difference around 2,5X

Shadowless Charizard: 11,5k
Shadowless Blastoise: 5k+ from most recent offers in private sales i’ve seen.
Price difference around 2,2X

1st edition Dark Charizard: 600-650
1st edition Dark Blastoise: 300-350
Price difference around 2x

1st edition Blaine’s Charizard: 700-750 (from most recent private sales)
1st edition Blaine’s Arcanine: 350
Price difference around 2x

1st edition Shining Charizard: 2500
1st edition Shining Mewtwo: 1000-1200
Price difference around 2-2,5x

Charizard Goldstar: around 3k
Mew Goldstar: seen offers for 1200-1400 USD for this
Price difference 2 to 2,2X

As you can see nearly all of these cards have a 2 to 2,5X multiplier

Now lets compare Skyridge:
Charizard Skyridge holo: 2400 most recent sale
Ho-oh Skyridge holo: 1800
Price difference 1,33X

Now the Ho-oh’s population is significantly lower than the Charizard but not much lower than other crystals. Charizard cards are more graded anyways, which much likely dictates the population.
Also 2 current sales for ungraded Charizard copies went for 1500-1600 USD. Both seemed to me as not 10 worthy.
To me, the Skyridge Charizard has always been a very iconic card and seemed to me as very sought after by a lot of collectors.

What do you think, is the Charizard on it’s way to go to 3600-4500 USD price levels, or is this price difference caused by other influences?

PS. I do not own a 10 copy of this card unfortunately, so no, I am not trying to hype up the price :slightly_frowning_face:

This actually reminds me of Zipf’s law. I wonder how true it holds for lower-valued cards too.

1 Like

On a side note: Skyridge charizard and ho-oh also used to be on the same 2-2,5X multiplier. When Charizard was around 800-1000 USD, the Ho-oh was at 400 :blush:

Perhaps it is Ho-oh that is overpriced. Dump all of them on ebay for $999. :open_mouth:

Seriously, it might very well be a $3000+ card but I must admit I’m not a big fan of the artwork. I’d dare to say it is the ugliest out of the 6 crystal holos. Also, it doesn’t seem as sought after as a Gold Star or 1st Ed Shining…

I’m actually not seeing a sale higher than $1600-ish… I guess the $2400 was private or US only?

Those ungrade copies though… Not even guaranteed a 9 IMO.

1 Like

I think the Ho-oh is overpriced, the other crystals are much cheaper

I still remembered when shining mewtwo sold for $1.5k and at the same time a shining Charizard sold for $1.5k. Both by the same seller. That made one thing happened in the following 2 months.

The Shining charizards price went up and stayed at $1.8k while the shining mewtwo’s price went down to $1.3k back then. This was because sellers were pricing their mewtwos at >$1.6k hoping to get a bite and their charizards at $2k. Well guess what, the charizards sold while the mewtwo didn’t causing the price to correct to be what it is today.

I believe the the high bidders of the ho-oh was just missing that last card, causing the price to be unexpectedly high. Everyone remember the $1.2k shining Magikarp sale right :wink:

1 Like

$2k for a Celebi. From a not so reputable seller.

I really don’t know tbh… It’s very possible there’s 1 crazy collector currently going after this set. If they don’t have the Charizard yet they might pay $5k. lol

I’m only being half serious here, but it happens a lot in low print/pop sets like Legendary Collection where someone buys up every card at any price. You could list these cards at what they just sold for and they might sit on ebay for 6 months. I could not 100% say that Ho-Oh is worth $1800 so it’s also impossible to say Charizard is underpriced.

Or I’m wrong and there’s really buyers lined up to pay $1800-2000 and that Charizard is indeed a $3-4k card. We will find out eventually. :blush:

Edit: Chok pretty much beat me to it… I’m always careful on rare cards getting sold at high prices. It’s like the recent Shadowless Raichu and Chansey, not saying they’re not worth it but that’s almost Blastoise money. Low pop or not, I would not be surprised if next sale is in the $3k range. Sometimes the timing is just perfect.

1 Like

I think it is worth noting that when a legitimate auction goes through (with no reserve), essentially two people were publicly willing to pay the price that the card sold for. Or at least the minimum bid increments below what the card item sold for.

So in theory, at least one more person should be looking to pay at least that same amount after the auction has finished.

Basically there wasn’t just one person looking to pay $1800 for the Ho-oh, as long as the bids were legitimate.

an ungraded copy just sold on Ebay for 1850, also a PSA 9 graded one sold within a day for 1500.
Also both a Celebi and a Ho-oh sold ungraded for 950 ea.

ALso there wasn’t just 1 ho-oh sold for 1800 but there were 2 sales.

Charizard 10’s now get listed in the 4-6k range and I think this is going to be it’s new price

1 Like

One of the 10’s sold for $2700

What do you guys think an ungraded near mint copy would sell for?

a copy just sold on ebay for 4700. sale was confirmed as paid for by seller

1 Like

milhouse is rich.

that seems like a good price compared to all the 10s on Ebay right now ><

Reaallllllly wishing I picked one of these up a month ago now… Lol.

2 Likes

Two confirmed sales within the past week for $4500 each by gradedpower.com … they have another one up on eBay for $5k now.

Same card but Japanese 1st Ed PSA 10 (weak one) sold for nearly $700 today.

Ik englush is more popular but zat price gap between eng and japanese is way beyond ridiculousness. Shadowless and no rarity (exception), but still. Japanese trend seems to be going down, but maybe that can be a good thing. It may create better demand come next year.

Original Japanese set is still quite affordable. It’s original and looks better. Too bad I don’t have enough funds to get them all lol, but you can!

1 Like

If you need an English copy of this I think you should pick it up now, a lot of the recent sales have been private and the ones on eBay have gone to offers - you might be able to find a deal from a seller listing at the 2.5-3k price point … this is a solid 4k+ card now.

i don’t think there’s one for $2.5-$3k anymore…

Not on eBay, you might be able to find something on facebook though. I picked one up yesterday for a little over $3k after some searching.

There’s a BGS 10 card (English) on auction. It’s sitting at 4k, I think. Anyway one of you better win it. Good luck