1st edition charizard

1st edition charizard seems to have fair few graded copies across the board but i see big increases across all the grades from at least 6 upwards!! Would this just be down to supply and demand, with the demand to own this card being so great that even the lower grades are seeing decent growth and yet there still looks like theres a lot of room for potential growth.

From what I can gather the card is so sought after that when people cannot afford the tens or the tens are frozen into peoples collections, thete is still going to be a huge market left that want to own this card. So surely it’s going to be like a domino effect on the other grades? I mean there’s still only around 1000 copies graded I think, please correct me if I’m wrong but that does not seem like a lot considering how huge the demand is and it’s a demand I can see growing even still. It’s not like people arnt already spending a fair whack on the slightly lower grades I mean the 7,8 and 9s have risen loads this year and ofcorse the 10 has skyrocketed. But mainly in trying to point out that the lower grades have seen some decent growth too and I think they are really worth investing in especially psa 7 and up.

If anyone has any insights they would like to add would be interested to hear your opinions.

1 Like

In my opinion, this logic applies not only to Charizard, but I believe the entire 1st ed base set.

Unless the underlings who can’t afford a $20k psa 10 charizard suddenly won’t want charizard anymore, this is the logical sequence of the market trend (also likely going to be the same trend for the entire 1st ed set)

I’ve just recently been acquiring the 1st ed non holos psa 9 or higher and holos psa 7 or higher. I simply can’t afford psa 8-10 (for the most part) holos. So why even bother with PSA 7?

Well it’s just as you describe, even low grades will be desired. It will get to a point where a , for example, graded Nidoking will only pop up every few weeks (might take a few years, but the scarcity will eventually be obvious and the market will dry up)

In this case, there will be hundreds of folks who will buy whatever grade they can. So whether you have a 5 or 6 or 7 grade, it will be in demand. If it’s in demand, it’s going to drive the price up. Why? Because demand is likely only going to increase and supply is inevitably going to decrease, just a matter of time.

I was given wise advise on here recently: “buy the highest graded 1st edition base cards you can now”

None of this is certain of course, demand could go down. But that seems unlikely and pokemon is still growing. Then if we get a new dynamite Switch pokemon title? Forget about it. Think of all the millenials who will play it and think, “wow I miss pokemon, I want to collect the cards again!”

As long as the prices of the highest graded cards increase, i’m confident the lower graded cards will increase too. This is a good opportunity too because there is a lot of competition particularly with non-holos right now, I.e. There is a surplus of cards. I just bought rare psa 9 1st ed trainers for $20-30. That’s a steal for a mint rare imo.

I think 1st ed red cheecks Pikachu is really undervalued right now, you can get a 9 for $50-100 and 10 for $200-400