Psa 9 1st edition base set

hi everyone I was wondering if PSA 9 1st ed base cards excluding charizard were a little underrated for there value at the moment being such a huge price jump between PSA 10s. I understand people pay premiums on 10s but I feel 9s are selling for so little being the ultimate set to collect. I mean 9 is still an amazing grade!!! What to people think about future values, surely the 9s will eventually rise to a respectful value considering how sought after they are. Recent sales on ebay PSA 9s are going for like 200 usd, to me it doesn’t seem thre getting the credit they deserve If anyone has any information o why they aren’t going for more please discuss opinions

It’s basic supply and demand. There’s a huge supply of 9s and nobody really wants 9s compared to the way people want 10s. Why is the supply so huge? 9s are far, FAR easier to get, either by initial grade or regrade: 7s and 8s and sometimes even fluke 6s can go up to 9s regularly but 9s will pretty much never get upped to 10.

So 9s are getting the credit they deserve according to the market.

I don’t think 9s will ever be priced over $1k. There are always too many on the market. People can’t get rid of them. I know you said to exclude Charizard but that card is a perfect example. Everyone on Ebay keeps upping the price on their PSA 9s (1st ed.) because the 10 is selling for more and more. They think that because the 10s price is increasing, the 9 should increase too and that’s just false. There are 1st ed zards that have been listed at $2000+ for the past 4-5 months that simply will not sell because anyone who’s willing to pay that much would rather save for the 10 and anyone not serious enough for the 10 would rather just get a 7 or an 8 which can be had for ~$1k or less.

That’s the other issue with PSA 9s: they exist in a sort of purgatory: expensive enough to alienate casual collectors and undesirable enough to alienate serous collectors.

2 Likes

Great arwnser!!! I like you way of thinking, makes a lot of sense. I’m in the process of.selling some PSA 9s for a gold star 1st ed japenese charizard PSA 10 in the hope that will increase in value nicely over the years being a 10 and low pop. I feel it maybe be a better investment

Also, one big thing with 9s are that a lot of them are 9s because and Only because of centering. Off centered cards with flawless edges/surface/corners are still hindered, visually, because centering affects pretty much the entire card.

1 Like

For the record I’ve sold double digit PSA 9 1st ed charizards over the last two years and every one of them went for $2,000 or more.

So frustrating it comes down to centering. I have a alakazam that looks really nice but it has one factory line going through the holo, but everything else looks clean. I guess that would be why it scored a 9?

There are plenty of 10s that are clearly off center. It’s 100% luck whether or not you get a grader who’s going to be lenient over a few tenths of a millimeter or a stickler who’s going to look for any excuse to downgrade.

99 submissions out of 100, you’ll get the latter.

1 Like

Factory lines are death. You can’t see them in eBay photos. It’s only when the card arrives that you see them.

Worst defect to deal with IMO.

Dam you factory lines!!! Back to values of PSA grades the only card I see having a signicante value increase on lower grades is charizard due to its huge popularity and demmand again please correct me if I’m wrong I’m fairly new to the hobby

I want to trade

1st ed raichu 9
1st ed gyarados 9
1st ed alakazam 9
1st ed nidoking beckett 9.5

For a PSA 8 1st ed charizard

From what research I’ve done in terms of value I’d say it’s a fair deal but in term on investment I have no idea, considering the charizard is only a PSA 8. Anyone have any suggestions on this

You might want to edit your original post on this thread with this information. More people will see it and are less likely to scroll past this one.

This opens up an interesting point.
On the surface, the above is pretty fair. But to be REALLY fair somebody would have to NEED those exact 4 cards. Otherwise it would take at least another 9.

Dale@ you’re instincts are right. PSA 9 1st Ed base are a great investment today and are underpriced.

Set an alert for one year from today and re-read this thread;)

1 Like

It turns out those 4 psa 9ncards are the only ones they need so that’s awesome!!!

This will be interesting to look back in a years time see who was right and who is wrong.

Yes, that will be fun:)
I like my chances though. I’ve been looking at trends and have been a collector since I was a kid…which is a long, long time ago lol. I’ve mentioned here before that in 1977 I bought every Kiss #1 comic that hit the stands which were many cause I was in the heart of Hollywood working on Hollywood Blvd. They were 2.50 each which was pretty high end at the time. I ended up with dozens and a case. Now, those mint condition examples are nearing 200.00.
These PSA 9s will shoot up. I would almost stake my life on it;)

1 Like

After selling a lot of 9s I realized almost every person buying them has tried to get a cheaper price. There is a reason why they are buying 9s because they are cheaper and don’t want to spend as much but damn don’t try and get your 9s for less than a 9 is going for. Smh

But anyway probably about 6-9 months ago some 9s were selling for $400+ and venusaur and blastoise had sales in the $800-$900 range. This brought out a huge supply of 9s with people hoping to get the same price and diluted the market. It will dry up again eventually as prices for packs keep going up and raw cards in mint condition are very hard to find and they will just get harder and harder to find as they keep getting older.

1 Like