Pokemon that could use new evolutions/regional variants

While this type of topic might be better served in the video game forum, it certainly affects the TCG as well, so I figured I would post it here!

Which Pokemon do you think could use new evolutions or regional variants to spice things up? I’ll name a few. I only listed Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon for now, since that is what most people here like/know. But feel free to add your own from any generation!

Seaking

This thing is probably one of the most boring Pokemon in the history of the franchise. It is just a fish and is probably the worst Water-type Pokemon in Gen 1. It has a decent Attack stat, but that’s pretty much it. Giving it another form would do Seaking a world of good. Gamefreak did it for the similarly boring (but not as boring) Seadra back in Gen 2. Why not Seaking?

Jynx

I have always felt that Jynx is Mr. Mime’s counterpart and is kind of part of the Jynx/Mr. Mime/Electabuzz/Magmar quintuplet. All four have gotten baby pre-evolutions. However, only three of them have gotten third forms. The only one that has not received one is Jynx. With Mr. Mime getting a regional evolution in Gen 8, it only makes sense for the same thing to happen to Jynx in Gen 9, no?

Pinsir

It always seems like Pinsir is behind Scyther. Scyther got an evolution in Gen 2. Then, when Gamefreak finally decided to do something with Pinsir by giving it a Mega in Gen 6, guess what? Scizor got one, as well. Pinsir was originally supposed to evolve into Heracross back in Gen 2, but that plan was scrapped. How about actually giving Pinsir an evolution in Gen 9?

Tauros

Tauros is probably strong enough on its own where it doesn’t need an evolution (then again, so was Rhydon, and we know how that turned out), but how about a regional form? I guess it kind of sort of already got a pseudo-regional variant in Bouffalant, but how about actually putting some respect on Tauros’ name and making an official one? Those who played back in the days of R/B/Y know how deadly Tauros was in competitive battling. It’s a shame to see how far it has fallen.

Gyarados

Just give this thing the damn Water/Dragon typing already with a regional variant. That is all.

Sentret/Furret

The Rattata/Raticate and Zigzagoon/Linoone lines got regional variants. It’s Furret’s turn now.

Stantler

Stantler was actually one of my favorite Gen 2 Pokemon and was actually a decent Normal type back then. Kind of like a budget Tauros. I think the poor guy needs to beefed up with an evolution.

Dunsparce

Dunsparce has always been kind of a novelty, so Gamefreak will probably never do it, but making this guy actually viable with an evolution would be pretty cool.

Girafarig

Originally, Girafarig was supposed to be Normal/Dark rather than Normal/Psychic. Why not combine the best of both words and make a regional variant where Girafarig is Psychic/Dark?

Miltank

See: Tauros. A game with regional variants of both Tauros and Miltank would be awesome.

Magcargo

Please give this thing a typing that is actually worthwhile. Fire/Rock is just all sorts of bad. I actually really love Magcargo’s design, though.

Teddiursa/UrsaringI just feel like Ursaring is crying out for a Dark typing. It’s already a really good Normal type that got some shine on the competitive scene back in the day, but making it a Dark type would actually probably help it return to competitive viability.

5 Likes

sudowoodo for sure, a ice type variant only found in snowy/cold areas

3 Likes

Dunsparce please! :grin:

1 Like

And in order to get it to move you have to bring a blow torch instead of a squirtbottle.

I think they could do some cool tropius variants with different berries/fruits hanging off his chin

3 Likes

I would love to see an evolution for Pinsir and Heracross.

2 Likes

grass/ fire Sunflora with good speed and solar power or drought

1 Like

Love the lsit and was just talking about this with a buddy of mine, haha.

My top 10 would be:
Jynx
Pinsir
Tauros
Dunsparce
Kangaskhan (Possibly a tougher version of the baby grown-up)
Delibird
Donphan
Nosepass
Lapras
Furret

1 Like

Parasect

• A regional variant based on radiothropic fungi. Bug/Poison with a signature ability called Gamma field: 20% chance to poison (regular) the opponent at the end of every turn.
    Base stats go from 60/95/80/60/60/30 to 60/75/80/60/110/20. Receives two signature moves: Ionizing Spores, functioning like Perish song but with the added bonus of bypassing protection and badly poisoning the opponent. The second: Radiosynthesis, Parasect heals to maximum HP by curing the opponents Poison status.

Tyranitar

• A regional variant based on a volcano. Fire/Rock with a signature ability called Ash Plume: drops accuracy of opponent(s) by 3 stages when hit by a Water or Ground type move. Base stat changes from 100/134/110/95/100/61 to 100/94/140/145/90/31. Could come in real clutch when shutting down sweepers (and setting up your own), plus we need more special attacking rock types. Power Gem or something obviously has to be added to the movepool. Or maybe a signature special rock attack that has a chance to burn.

Rapidash

• A regional variant based on a flying unicorn. Fire/Flying with Magic guard as the ability. Base stat changes from 60/100/70/80/80/105 to 65/110/70/60/70/125. Brave bird and High Jump Kick are added to the movepool.

Electrode

• An evolution based on the master ball. Base stats go from 60/50/70/80/80/150 to 65/50/80/100/80/180. Galvanize as the ability and Boomburst is added to the movepool.

Dunsparce

• An evolution based on a fully grown dragon. Normal/Dragon typing. Base stats go from 100/70/70/65/65/45 to 150/100/100/70/70/55.

Dusclops and Probopass need an ability that causes Gravity to come in effect upon entering.

1 Like

Dragonair is one of the first ones that come to mind. Would be cool to see a different evolution that went more in line with it’s design.

I remember when S&S came out and saw this on an “unofficial leak” post and really wished it was true:

2 Likes

I think a dark type mew would be really cool

We already have a design of Dugtrio’s evolution with @fathersavage 's avatar, so they can just add that. :laughing: When Dugtrio evolves, they climb out of the earth.

Some I personally like to see:

• A pre-evolved form of Onix
  • A regional variant of Tangela (maybe a new jungle-like region, and his blue vines become actual jungle vines or something along those lines?)
  • Evolutions before and after Pinsir (similar as we have with Electabuzz and Magmar)
  • More Eeveelutions for other types (I’d love to see poison, ghost, and rock type Eeveelutions)
  • Regional versions of Sentret/Furret
  • Pre-evolved form similar as Tyrogue, which can evolve into either Tauros, Miltank, or Bouffalant

And something with Seviper. Can be pre-evolved form, evolved form, Mega form, regional form, something else. I don’t mind any of these (although I prefer an evolved or Mega form).

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like