Pokemon Regional Variants

I really enjoyed generation 7 introducing Alolan forms of Kantonian Pokemon. The tropical and snow adapted variants were creative and fun. As the game expands and they add more and more Pokemon, I think alternate versions add more depth to the collection of Pocket Monsters we already have. Galarian forms were underwhelming for me, but I like what they’re trying. What other regions would you like to see? Do you like the regional versions? Do you prefer they stick to shiny variants instead?

Regional Forms: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Regional_form

I think it’s cool. They could bring back the delta species idea again but slightly change the look of the Pokémon this time.

1 Like

I would love more seasonal variants. It makes sense for Pokemon to adapt to colder or warmer weather, loved the design of Deerling in Gen 5.

2 Likes

What sort of creative license should be allowed? Does it cheapen the Pokemon themselves or enhance it?

For instance, what about these fan art illustrations?

In all honesty, I wish they stuck to a single gimmick for a while. Regional variants are probably my favorite idea out of the the Megas and Dynamax. If they did away with the latter two and just continued to provide variants of old Pokemon, I’d love it and it would make more in-game sense and feel more fresh and also hinge on some great nostalgia.

2 Likes

Mega Evolutions and Dynamax are what inspired my post. Each generation The Pokemon Company explores something new, and I asked myself what I liked recently in terms of the Pokemon’s appearance. Shiny Pokemon and alternate versions of previous generations were my favorite.

Cross branding is something I find interesting as well in terms of Pokemon appearance. But I’m not sure on what scale it should be done. Good things come in small doses.

Mario and Pikachu was something I really enjoyed.

Magic The Gathering Recently crossed with Godzilla in their latest set:

1 Like

I hate Mario Pikachu and Poncho Pikachu, there I said it

2 Likes

I like the regional forms. Most Alolan forms are great, but I do agree that Galarian forms aren’t as good. I think the only Galarian version I really like is Ponyta. Rest is just okay or not for me. But I do like the concept.

2 Likes

Generally speaking gen 8 games don’t interest me but Galarian Corsola/Yamask with their evolutions look neat. Gotta keep waiting what new forms upcoming games eventually include.
Gen 7 games were excellent, probably 2nd favourite video game era after Johto I’ve personally played a lot. Vulpix/Ninetales are some of the prettiest Pokemons in whole game, Marowak was handyman for many harder SOS shiny hunts and Muk was really fun to use in Battle Tree/Battle Royal fights. :blush: