Pokemon Scarlet/Violet leaks (SPOILERS!)

Actually 120-140 isn’t standard. Typically it has been less than 100 (I think SwSh had like 80 something). This is definitely the biggest introduction of new Pokemon since BW.

As far as competitive, the rumor is that they are just streamlining the process to make things easier. As we all know, breeding for perfect Pokemon was INCREDIBLY tough, so most people would just end up hacking in Pokemon with perfect stats. This might make things much quicker and much more user-friendly for players who want to use their own Pokemon in competitive battling.

1 Like

I would be surprised if you could catch it since that sort of defeats the purpose of it being a regional variant, but in Gen 7 the Sightseer trainer class would have the original forms of some Alolan formed Pokemon that you could fight. I always thought that was a cool way to put them in the game; being used by a trainer that’s obviously a tourist to the region.

1 Like

Yeah this was a pain in the ass until isle of armour made it a little bit easier. So a change up in getting competitive mons will be a refreshing change indeed.

1 Like

Convergent Pokemon remind me of Digimon. You can take a Digimon like Patamon and compare it to Tsukaimon. Both look identical but are just different colors. So I get it, but still seems weird. I’m down to have a water Diglett though!

1 Like

Could this bring back ‘Delta Species’ in Scarlet & Violet tcg? :eyes:

4 Likes

I wasn’t going to buy the game, then I saw this:

And I thought dang that’s pretty cool, maybe I will buy the game. Then I saw this:

Suddenly I remember I’ll be too busy in November to buy this game. Sorry Gamefreak, maybe I’ll play it if I can buy it used for cheap.

3 Likes

WHAT.

4 Likes

We can pretend it does even it was unintentional! What if it evolved by certain level and fainting. :laughing:

3 Likes

It did say its evolution method was “interesting,” so it actually is entirely possible.

1 Like

@enigma

Don’t feel too bad about the Gen 5 starters. Apparently, NONE of the pre-Gen 9 starters are going to be in this game. Not even Charizard.

They are speculating we’ll probably have another DLC like Sword and Shield, so maybe Pokemon will put some old starters in there.

1 Like

I hate this but I think it’s where we’ve been heading for a while :frowning: With the Pokémon count into the 1000’s every game now will be “kids in a candy store” as far as picking their favorite Pokémon to be featured in the current game. There comes a point where it makes sense but I’d like to see more forms/variants rather than all new Pokémon. The rate of which I can remember all this is dwindling!

I’m okay with it. To me, the most fun in playing a new Pokemon game is the new Pokemon. I actually don’t like playing games with limited new Pokemon in them at all. That’s one of the reasons why I hated Diamond and Pearl so much. The Pokedex was horrendous. It seemed like all you were running into were Machops, Geodudes and Ponytas, and many of the new Pokemon they did introduce were just additions on to evolutionary lines that already existed.

I personally couldn’t care less about old starters not being in the games. I understand everyone is different, but I’m not trying to use Charizard or Feraligatr or Swampert in every game. I want something new. That was why I loved Black and White so much. It was a COMPLETELY new Pokedex. You didn’t run into a single Pokemon from any of the previous generations, which I found very refreshing. It gets annoying seeing the same suspects over and over again.

I’m also the type of person to use a completely new team of Pokemon every time I run through the same game multiple times, so that’s just how I am.

As far as new forms and variants, they are introducing two new form types in Gen 9 (Paradox and Convergent Forms), so they are definitely innovating there. I suspect that this is something they will continue to build on as we move forward in the mainline games. Regional variants seem like a staple now, and they are expanding on form types even more which is great.

I don’t know. I just think it’s boring to use the same old Pokemon over and over again. That’s why I found it weird that so many people were livid over Sword and Shield trimming the national dex. If people were upset for competitive battling reasons, then I get it, but it seemed like most people were angry over the fact that they couldn’t import Pokemon from old games to use in their playthrough. To me that kind of just seems trivial. Do people really want to use the same team of six over and over again? What’s the point? But again, I understand everyone is different and some people are less open to change.

Besides, I think we have already reached a point where many Pokemon have become forgettable anyway, so adding on to that pile won’t hurt :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Meh, I’m not a fan of the dex cut for several reasons. This thread isn’t the place though so I’ll refrain, but long story short the cut in SwSh was the start of me realizing the Pokémon formula is growing stale for me. That’s why I liked Legends Arceus so much, it changed things up and was genuinely the most fun I’ve had playing Pokémon in years. It was also the game that completely convinced me gameplay > graphics 100% of the time. If the fun I’m having outweighs bad graphics and design, then I’ll keep playing the game.

SV looks to be adapting some of those game mechanics but we still know next to nothing about the game, officially. Story, gameplay, or otherwise. I love regional forms and old Pokémon getting new evolutions, but we haven’t seen anything yet. A larger local Pokédex is extremely exciting (getting <100 new mons for the past few gens is undeniably lame) but neutering the overall regional Pokédex just to presumably include more older Pokémon in the paid DLC is at best laughable and at worst pathetic. The open world aspect is cool, but graphically it looks the same as Legends Arceus.

I’m conflicted on what SV present to me. I feel the same way now as I feel when they announced the SwSh DLC: the Pokémon look cool, can’t wait for the cards! But I can do without the actual game for a little while. I’m loving the leaks and speculation but the direction, gameplay, story, graphics, and technicals of SwSh left such a sour taste in my mouth, I can’t bring myself to buy these next main titles Day 1 as I have with every generation since I got into Pokémon.

That, and November is going to be a busy time for me with college and sports, I don’t see myself putting a lot of time into video games then anyway. I already don’t play games as much as I used to as a kid and teenager, and if I were to use my time for the rest of this year it’ll definitely be used on other games. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is at minimum going to take up 100 hours of my life, likely closer to 200, and then after that I’d like to finally play Persona 5. Also, I’m currently emulating Pokémon White and want to try emulating both Blaze Black 2 and Radical Red after that, so my Pokémon video game thirst is pretty much quenched for the foreseeable future.

TL;DR what I’ve seen so far is really epic but I haven’t seen enough to redeem the mainline series for me.

Hopefully we get some news soon…

Release is 4 months away, so its bound to happen soon…right??

This one is going to hate Low Kick. 1, 532.2 lbs.

4 Likes

Seems like they’ll be going the Avalugg route with this one. Most likely an incredibly physically bulky Ice type with high Attack and very low Speed.

I don’t know what Pokemon’s obsession is with making defensive Ice types. Ice is literally the worst defensive type in the game. Why not just focus solely on their offensive stats and maybe give them a little more Speed?

I do like Cetitan’s design, though.

1 Like

My rough stat guesses:

HP: 180
Attack: 140
Defence: 60
Special Attack: 40
Special Defence: 50
Speed: 45-55

It has access to slush rush so they either go the self-sabotage route of Magcargo and Carracosta, or the “I can outspeed most of UU with this”-route which means semi viable or they go the 50+ route which means absolute monster under the right circumstances depending on 9th gen tech.

Interesting design, not a fan of the pink parts but I’m guessing the shiny is going to look much better. A North-Atlantic Right Whale on legs is right up my street.

2 Likes

I’m curious how they’re gonna implement the new terastal Pokemon into the TCG. Could we get a return of something like delta species where we get cards of Pokemon with different types? For example, there was the water type Gardevoir (and others) in the trailer shown.

2 Likes

Which do you like the most?
  • dough dog
  • pooper
  • ice whale

0 voters

Objection to naming the best Pokemon in the reveal “pooper.”

3 Likes