Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (Gen 9) announced

Japanese teaser trailer: 【公式】『ポケットモンスター スカーレット・バイオレット』1st Trailer - YouTube

The new starter Pokémon:

I am already a fan of the grass cat :blush:

Edit: Apparently the games are scheduled to release in “late 2022”!

21 Likes

Love the Apple-Dino!

1 Like

PUMPED! Will probably come out in November like usual.

I cannot believe that Gen 8 was already three years ago. Crazy.

Also, the Water-type starter looks like a regional form Ducklett. Lol.

2 Likes

Those starters are straight out of a Disney movie. Seems like gen 3 will remain the last good starter era for another gen lol

14 Likes

Better have atleast 1 new Eeveelution

8 Likes

but i’m still hyped on Legends Arceus

1 Like

Love the fire starter, looks like something out of an old Mario game.

5 Likes

Watching that trailer made me realize that games are starting to feel like your actually in the anime since its an open world with more realistic scenery and detailed Pokémon that are capable of realistic actions. The Pokémon games have evolved quite nicely over time.

4 Likes

I think it’s obvious from the numerous speculative reports from the past few months hinting at an Iberian Peninsula setting and now the beautiful trailer we got this morning, that this next gen will be based in Spain (more specifically a major Spanish city like Barcelona & Madrid from the plaza setting in the trailer.)

My opinions on the starter designs, graphics, etc. aside, I think it’d be cool to speculate now on what we might see for future Pokemon designs derived from the Spanish setting they’re pulling from. Here are some Spanish animals, wildlife, and lore I hope to see in Scarlet & Violet!

-Iberian Lynx
-Golden Eagle
-Common Genet (Not originally native to Spain, but are found in abundance within the Iberian Peninsula)
**-**Some sort of Flamenco Pokemon? (I think one of the Oricorio forms teeters on the edge of already covering this, so it might be unlikely)
**-**Guaranteed new Bull Pokemon or at least a mentioning of "Running with the Tauros/Bouffalant"
-Feria Del Caballo
is a huge festival celebrating the beauty of horses, so maybe a regional form of Mudsdale/Zebstrika/Rapidash?
-Cordoba Patios Festival
, and beautiful flowers overall, are a key staple to the representation of Spain and I would put my money on the possibility of beautiful cutscenes, maybe new flower pokemon or additional forms to Sunflora/Bellossom/Bounsweet/Floette/Hoppip/Oddish;

the list goes on…

There are so many amazing possibilities, and I cannot wait for the photos and leaks to come in the future!

7 Likes

@poketapp

I have been yearning for a Tauros regional variant or a Tauros evolution. The latter probably won’t happen, but a regional variant would be fantastic for my favorite Normal type!

3 Likes

In elementary school I thought that a Pokemon Orange, Purple and Green would follow up Red Blue and Yellow. I guess Green technically did release.

I’ll def get Violet.I’m all about that Duck. Give me that. Big deal for me cuz I skipped out on SM and SWSH.

2 Likes

Wow, I hadn’t even dared to dream of this huge of an announcement for 2022’s Pokémon Day. I’m really hyped for this and I definitely love the young Donald Duck wearing his pants as a beret!

2 Likes

We have to get one now, I mean come on, Spain. And a regional Grumpig, makes total sense and that one could use a boost or fifty.

Also, fingers crossed we finally get a Sunflora Grass/Fire overpowered monster (lol, a man can dream).

1 Like

Agree completely on the colour; my first instinct was ‘why not orange over scarlet (red)?’. Especially as they have now done every other colour of the rainbow, and wasted Indigo on the Indigo League.

Although purple/red fits with the old Spanish Republic flag, so it’s appropriate for that at least.

Discord was pretty hype for this announcement because it was unexpected.

1 Like

What am I actually watching? Also please don’t update the evolution form.

1 Like

What do you mean?

Here we go again with comparing Pokemon to BOTW.

Why does literally every single Pokemon game have to be compared to BOTW now? Pokemon and Zelda are two entirely different franchises. They are not even remotely close to being similar in terms of gameplay.

Imagine playing the new Halo and being like, “Yeah it doesn’t look as good as BOTW.” Or popping in the new Madden and saying, “I wish the graphics were more like BOTW.”

BOTW is widely considered one of the greatest games of all-time. You aren’t going to find many games for the Switch that look even remotely as good as BOTW.

Pokemon should be compared to Pokemon. Not Zelda.

6 Likes

The biggest thing for me is whether or not they get rid of the awful, terrible, horrible, gruesome Dynamax mechanic. I may buy these games and a green Switch Lite to play them on if they remove that.

First time in 19 years I’m pleased with the basic starter designs, and to a dinosaur like myself the graphics look otherwordly. Barring Showdown, the newest game I’ve played (of any kind) is Omega Ruby.

1 Like

Nintendo is planning to release three AAA open-world RPGs in the fall of 2022, those being Xenoblade Chronicles 3, BotW 2, and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet. Based on previous track records, two of these games are expected to have expansive, masterfully-crafted and deeply-immersive open worlds. The other is Pokemon.

Pokemon is trying to break into the open-world genre but simply can’t compare to games and series already there. The problem is Gamefreak lacks a lot of knowledge and understanding of what makes a good open world game, a good open world game.

“Pokemon should be compared to Pokemon” - this is like saying artists should ONLY compare their latest art piece to their previous artworks. Musicians should ONLY compare their latest recording to their previous one. Businesses should ONLY compare their recent earnings to the past quarter. Etc. Artists, musicians, businesses, hell even human individuals can’t improve if they ONLY compare themselves to themselves. Pokemon SHOULD be compared to other games in the genre, it won’t improve otherwise. Ask anyone what the best monster-catching franchise is, and there’s no comparison - Pokemon is the best, and every other game is compared to it. But now that Pokemon is entering the open-world genre, its going to be thrown up against games like BotW, Xenoblade, Fallout, Skyrim…games that are top of their genre. Because Pokemon doesn’t have the best open-world experience, and Gamefreak has a lot to learn.

1 Like