Pokémon Presents Arceus and DP remake thoughts?

I sadly forgot it was happening, but I caught the very end where they explained bits of he new Arceus game. I’m actually decently hyped for it. It is an open world experience we’ve all been waiting for, at least my friends and I have always said “man, I wish there was a Skyrim, but Pokémon!” Well I guess this is it. No doubt it has to be a different experience than the original battle styles. But I kind thought the quick and strong move aspect was neat. It makes a lot of sense too. I’m sure with there there has to be some kind of balancing in regards to defensive stats and what not.

I didn’t see the DP stuff, but I’m excited even with the Chibi stylizing. I’ve just wanted to replay these games for a while actually and am stoked to hear the soundtrack again. I recently listened through the OST again recently and man is it dope. That Jazz feel is killer!

Anyways, just wanted a little discussion to see where everyone is at with these games.

I’m getting both games day 1. I’m more excited about the remakes now than I was before now that they showed more. I was already super hyped for Legends and after watching the announcement today my hype has reached maximum level. It really looks like a refreshing take on the franchise and I am here for it. I already put in PTO for the Friday it comes out as well as the following Monday.

1 Like

For the Arceus game, I liked the focus of the game shifting from Trainer battles to exploring and storytelling. Elements like the player taking damage (which then includes a stealth mechanic, dodge roll) are exciting. I was however expecting a non-turn based combat system and have it as a completely open world experience.

4 Likes

Stantler has always been one of my favorite Pokemon, so it FINALLY getting an evolution as well as it being a central Pokemon in Legends Arceus makes me very happy.

Also, looks like Growlithe’s regional variant will be a Fire/Rock type. Kind of a sucky typing, but I LOVE the design.

3 Likes

I feel like non turn based would be incredibly hard to manage without becoming something like pokken already is. I think that Pokémon unite kinda does something similar? I have it downloaded but have yet to actually play it. I’ve just heard it’s kinda like LoL but with Pokémon.

I feel like Pokémon has to stay turn based due to the nature of the trainer making decisions for the Pokémon. If it’s like pokken where the trainer isn’t involved, then it works.

Maybe that’s just me though. I’m okay with it staying turn based with this new twist either way. Who knows, they may also implement some more freestyle battles into the game.

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly about stantler. I can’t say he is one of my favorites, but he has certainly been overlooked a lot but has come back with some fire. I’m finally starting to really appreciate the regional forms. For a while I never really took to em, but it’s a super neat addition to the game. Thanks B&W, you’re my least favorite game, but I think it was a good move.

@ascendedbidoof, I’m sure the video will be out by the time I wake up, but what did they release in the video about the remakes that got you more hyped?

1 Like

@pigeonsyndicate,

They showed that your Pokemon will follow you and that you can now customize your character.

Underground exploration now allows you to find rooms that house specific Pokemon that show up based on what statue(s) you have in your secret base so you can catch Pokemon like Munchlax (no need to find it with honey now) and Houndoom which basically confirms you’ll be able to play with more than 2 different fire type Pokemon unlike the original games where you only had access to the Chimchar and Ponyta line.

They brought back the feature to customize your Poke Ball with effects that will play when you send your Pokemon into battle.

Overall, it looks the team in charge of the remakes are doing a good job and this trailer just reaffirmed that what they’re making is something I’ll enjoy. Assuming that they end up replacing HMs with something like Pokemon Partners in Sun and Moon or the Bike in Sword and Shield I think these games will be the definitive way to get the Sinnoh experience.

1 Like

In my recent replay of SoulSilver I used a Stantler on my team since I never used it before and I was pleasantly surprised. I’m glad that GameFreak is finally showing it some love.

2 Likes

e.e

i like the fish though

1 Like

Not gonna lie Legends Arceus looks pretty hot. DP remake is bit meh but that might be because I’m not that in to chibi style.

1 Like

@pigeonsyndicate, I agree with what you say that a non-turn based game will be hard to manage, specially when a lot of Pokemon move sets also factor in speed, accuracy. I however hoped something slightly similar to what Pokken does, or even what PokePark did for the Wii. There is also the game Ni No Kuni which also seems similar to Pokemon but switches to non turn based button smashing with moves having cool downs based on power level. Maybe we get something like that one day.

Pokemon Unite gameplay seems fun, I also played Dota heavily so this seems like a good MOBA to get into casually.

Cheers!

1 Like
3 Likes

One thing I’m curious about: how will the new forms in Legends Arceus affect the mainline games going forward?

For example, even though Alolan forms are exclusive to the Alola region in Sun and Moon, you can still transfer those Pokemon over to S&S and use them, whether that be in-game or competitively.

But what will happen with Wyrdeer (Stantler’s evolution) and Hisuian forms given that Legends Arceus is not a mainline game? Will we be able to transfer them over to the Gen 9 games (whenever those come out)? Will we be able to use them online in WiFi competitive battles?

It will certainly be interesting to see how Pokemon handles this.

@mjs61290, Just watched the video from the beginning this time. Definitely stoked for the underground being more or less the same but with those basic additions. I don’t know how many hours I used to put into finding crap down there, but it was always one of my favorite parts. I open they kept every item like fossils, revives, plates and what not. My bag was packed haha!

I think for the variants, they will likely just update the other games? That’s the beauty of content being online. They couldn’t do it in the past, but it is possible almost forever from now on. Even sun and moon if they choose so. But I kinda doubt they will for SM.

I kinda expect Arceus will be it’s own game though, entirely, meaning untransferable. Partly because of the time shifting aspect. How it’s from however many thousand years ago. Just now occurred to me, but it is actually part of the DP land with Mt. Coronet. I’m curious if they will include these variants into DP because the Pokémon evolved from the same land mass?

1 Like

I’m not sure Pokemon will add the new variants to S&S. I agree that they absolutely could, but I kind of feel like they want to make Legends Arceus separate from S&S and previous mainline games, as you pointed out.

I’m just wondering if the variants will be able to exist in mainline games going forward. Pokemon has never done anything like this before, where a non-mainline game introduces brand new Pokemon. So it will certainly be interesting to see how they decide to incorporate the new monsters into future titles.

You also do bring up a very interesting point with the DP remakes, but given that they will be coming out before Legends Arceus, I don’t think we’ll see Wyrdeer, Hisuian Growlithe, etc. in those games. At least not right away. It would take away from the experience of Legends Arceus to already see the new monsters in the DP remakes. But I definitely think they could be worked into the games in a DLC or something after Arceus comes out, because as you mentioned, the Hisuian region is supposed to be old-time Sinnoh.

One ruminant is getting a new evolution, is it too much to hope for something similar with Tauros as well?

3 Likes

This NEEDS to happen. Tauros has needed an evolution since it began falling out of favor in Gen 3.

My favorite Normal type of all-time, too.

3 Likes

@mjs61290, I’m thinking bipedal Minotaur thingy, Normal/Steel (OR, Normal/Dark to go with the tendency to give kanto forms and megas the dark typing). Rock Head/Clear body with Meteor Mash added. I think Head Smash would be a bit overkill, but maybe that as well.

Stats (Tauros/evolution)
Hp: 75/85
Attack: 100/140
Defense: 95/130
Special Attack: 40/20
Special Defense: 70/80
Speed: 110/100

1 Like

My fear from the Arceus trailer is that while the landscapes look beautiful they also look pretty empty? Is there much else to do other than going around and attacking things?
Clearly there’s heavy inspiration from BOTW. Even BOTW on the surface appears kind of “empty” when you play it. But they managed to make it super engaging with enemy bases, a variety of weapons, deku seeds, animals, landmarks, mini-dungeons, climates/weather and even climbing is extremely engaging. The Arceus trailer only showcased a fraction of these mechanics in the wild: battling, riding pokemon and crafting items. Obviously I can’t make a complete judgement till I play it but there just seems to be very few mechanics outside of battles. Hopefully there’s a lot more otherwise the gameplay might get stale quickly

7 Likes

Legends Arceus will support home so I don’t see any issue with transferring the pokemon to other games. Melmetal was introduced in Pokémon go and is transferable.

2 Likes