Pokemon Go? Pffft, it's all me.

So apparently I’m the reason for the Pokemon card price increases. Capitalizing on market gains, oh no, I’m creating them.

I don’t normally share this stuff, but this one was just so full of emotion it was too good to not share.

6 Likes

There’s a lot of passion in that message and you want to have the feels for her, but your listings are so misunderstood it does become comical.

2 Likes

You’re Pokemon place? That Charizard you have up for $30k is to sell or just for display? Because if it’s to sell, you’re charging a premium for a weak, weak 10. The centering on that card is terrible. And where did you get that $60k price tag for the parent child Kangaskhan?

2 Likes

Bruh… smh…

Looks like we have another person who doesn’t quite understand either LOL

8 Likes

Yeah that’s why I’m asking

DUH

FOR SHAME @cullers!

People are ridiculous.

Generally dog and pony shows to attract views. There’s nothing wrong about pricing above the market on stuff.

Although when so many sellers do it then put in best offer I don’t know if I’m being offensive on offering around or sometimes a bit above market value lol… Ebirdman is a fine example of that, hes got a card listed at like 4x market value I want but I’d rather he not block me for putting in a lowball offer.

Sometimes people buy the pricier listing too, have no idea why. I guess marking down for customs and reputation might factor in to that.

Or hes hiding the secret sauce…

That makes perfect sense, now I understand.

1. He isn’t “charging a premium”. He isn’t making anyone buy it. He is making it available to the market at a premium. Meaning he probably really doesn’t want to sell, but would given the proper above market value price.

2. Again the $60k on the trophy kang is a number that he would accept on an item that very rarely hits the market. People can either a) pay it, b) move along, c) perhaps work out an offer.

Very common eBay tactic to draw traffic. Nothing wrong with it as he would actually sell if that price was paid, but yeah often times it is unlikely to sell any given day. For people to become outraged as his eBay messager is ridiculous.

4 Likes

Well guess I’ll help you out friend.

The Charizard is probably actually for sale, with prices rising like they are, and Shadowless catching up, I don’t think 30k will be “premium pricing” much longer. As for calling it weak, if you don’t agree with the grade, then like most have been saying here “buy the card, not the grade”, because eventually someone won’t care, and will want the card either way.

Kangaskhan is most likely not actually for sale, unless someone hit Buy Now, and even then he might not actually sell. I’m thinking it’s purely for traffic. People see an extremely rare card and decide to check out the rest of his store, and now he has potential sales of the things actually for sale. (This applies to Charizard as well)

2 Likes

I think you might want to look two post above. Type faster man!

Considering I’m on my phone, and I was literally a minute behind them. I’d say that’s pretty fast lol

2 Likes

For those interested. This is exactly right, although I won’t cancel orders

1 Like

@cullers:
*sigh*
next message…

1 Like

As an honorable seller would honor any orders made.

@smpratte himself even sold some ex for hundreds below it’s value and honored the deal. I’ve done it before just pricing something quickly relative to what I paid and what I thought it would be worth. I have also had years old “pony show” listings somehow go unnoticed by the market and sell below market value (even though at time of listing they were multiples of market value). I always honor the sale of anything**.

I don’t like the idea that people put up listings as pony shows that they would cancel if someone crazy enough came along to buy them. That is essentially benefiting off fraud. Getting the increase in traffic with an artificial item/price that isn’t really available to the market. It is as bad in my eyes as listing an item you don’t even own. Rudy has mentioned his MTG pony show PSA 10 listings would be cancelled and refunded if anyone paid them. Why not list higher then?

** only reason I would ever cancel an order is if it was a huge error like leaving the thousands place off a price or something crazy like that, though with those listings I usually take more care and wouldn’t make that mistake. I have made small pricing errors to the tune of a hundred (maybe once) or tens of dollars and always honored them even though they may not have been the exact price I hoped for.

4 Likes

Oh no, I get a real laugh when people complain to me about first world problem. I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve had to worry about food or shelter, but I know people on a personal level that have.

I like how the collector is complaining about Pokemon being “useless cardboard”, yet is willing to shell out like $5000 on whatever he/she is interested in.

It’s also funny how some members still don’t know of cullers identity on this forum, and always gets confused about his pricing strategy :wink:

I actually love collectors showcasing their cards on ebay, it lets me see if ebay’s search engine is functioning properly!

1 Like

I got ridiculed by some people for listing my PSA 10 goldstar’s to highly, meanwhile I have set multiple sales records on Goldstar PSA 10 prices.

If we always listed the cards for lower or the same price the last one sold for, prices would never increase…

The op mentioned beanie baby’s and compared them to Pokemon.
Bad comp.
Generally, Beanies were collected by middle age housewives. Pokemon by teenage boys.
If I learned anything in all my years it’s…if it’s not made of glass, women are not your market

2 Likes

@cullers Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning

I love your ‘bait’ sales, I completely understand your logic behind it since you explained it several times. And it makes me smile that some just do not get it =)