I HATE HIGH PRICES

Why is Tom Brady stealing all my PKMN cardzzz…he already took my wife…

Ahem, sorry. What I meant to say is why do some eBay sellers list items at prices grossly overestimating the real value of the item? For example…

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254151434294

Not a terrific example, but I know that the average price is about $51

To be fair, the $51 prices were on auctions, and Buy It Nows are almost always higher. Also, that Brock deck is the only one currently listed on eBay, and the Gym theme decks in general are a bit scarce.

Doesn’t mean the Brock deck is currently worth $100 (probably more like $70-75), but if he would put a Best Offer option on it, it wouldn’t really be that ridiculous of a price. I’ve seen much worse.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes, a seller don’t really want to sell a particular item, so they purposely list it at a high price, but if a buyer is willing to take it, they’ll sell it.

4 Likes

Because they own it and they can do what they want.

28 Likes

You also have the option to not buy from that seller

3 Likes

Not a good example at all. I think the $100 pricetag is perfectly fine.
Here’s why in my own opinion;

• Looking at past sold listings, it goes for $50-$60 pretty easily, and those were auctions. Buy Now’s is a different game.
  • Looking at all the Gym Hero Themed decks as a whole, they vary in pricing from $60 -$90 + shipping.
  • Looks to be, and is stated to be, fresh out of a case. So we can assume everything is Mint.
  • Theres no other listings on eBay to compete with.

I actually think these are undervalued for having a Mint holo card within them. With the three factors I listed, I could easily see someone willing to pay $100 without thinking twice. Heck, just the WOTC nostalgia and knowing I’m getting a holo makes me interested in it lol.

2 Likes

Exactly ^

I’ll add that past prices should be used as a tool to gauge current market value, but not a guarantee that you’re entitled to buy the item at that price.

6 Likes

Love it when people say they will give me last auction price on a card. I always respond “if I wanted auction price, I’d put it up for auction :blush:

12 Likes

“grossly”

?

Not helpful, but I did use a bad example. So please allow me try again

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322965528955

I don’t see anything particularly unique about this Charmander. It could be an error card I am unaware of, but a price tag of 10k? :thinking:

@trainerdlyellow, It is an open market, not your market. If you don’t like a price, don’t buy it. There are countless reasons for why people price items. There is no one answer outside of, “they own it, they can’t do what they want”.

3 Likes

Looking through the comments again I think my tongue in cheek humor might have not come through clear. I figured the Tom Brady reference was enough to make it clear. Go figure.

I’m not triggered by the links I posted, nor do I feel entitled to anything. I do disagree on the Brock theme deck price estimations, but I digress.

I’m just curious why someone would attach a significant price tag to a common card. Are they scammers, ignorant of it’s value, etc.

1 Like

Maybe this can sound not too kind,but it’s the truth.
I am new in this hobby,but not in buying (Lego,video games,star wars…)and it is the same everywhere.
This is my price? You don’t like it? Search somewhere else.

(Let it be clear,i don’t mean to be rude,writing doesn’t express the tone :wink: )

1 Like

They don’t know the value, They don’t care, Their finger slipped, They think it’s worth that much, They read a buzzfeed article and put the price, They don’t want to sell, Their kid listed it, They saw a psa 10 copy and put that price, That is their favorite pokemon and they don’t want to sell, They are contemplating the existence of life and thought this price reflected that.

7 Likes

It’s the fruit rollup variant

4 Likes

So there are two realities to this.

1. a price tag of say, double what you’re seeing them sell for on auction is perfectly normal for BIN. BIN is instant gratification without waiting a week to MAYBE win something. If you see it and want it first and are willing to pay the price tag, it’s yours.

2. when you’re seeing a card listed by thousands if not tens of thousands of its current market value, those listings are often meant to simply bring exposure to someone’s other listings/ ebay store. If it’s something you actually want, feel free to PM the person about the item to see if it’s actually for sale. The other reason they get listed this way is for a joke or to troll for funny pm’s. Very few people are simply just looking for some absurd premium on the card, regardless of how “free” the market is.

That’s my take, and I think closer to the kind of answer you’re looking for.

Cheers.

2 Likes

I don’t respond this way but I always wanted to tell people that point to past sales one of the following:
‘You should have been the one to buy it if you agreed with that price.’
‘If you would have been involved in that auction it would have ended higher.’
‘Looks like one of my competitors can no longer undercut me.’
‘You should ask that seller if they’re willing to sell that cheap again.’
‘If I wanted that price I would have listed at that price.’

2 Likes

This is my favorite and what I use on occasion.

I don’t think most people get the concept though that there is no way anyone other than the individual who won the auction could have ever achieved that exact final price on it. At a minimum you would have had to pay 1 cent higher if you placed your final bid before theirs and the final price just happened to be their maximum. Many times you would just lose by an increment as their max bid is usually higher. I win a lot of auctions and probably 90% of them are at below my max bid, sometimes less than half of my max bid.

I think it’s frequent for losers of auctions to feel like they’ve really missed out then go quoting that sale price to the lowest listed BIN OBO’s. I tend to get a higher frequency of those after large auction blocks ending like PWCC.

1 Like

I come in 2nd on a lot of auctions. It’s easy to think “Oh, if I just bid 5 more dollars”. I constantly have to remind myself that I have no idea what the winner’s max bid was. It could have been way more than what they won the item for.

1 Like

Well I’ve yet to see the one answer to rule them all!

“AN ITEM IS ONLY WORTH AS MUCH AS YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT”

Simple economics. Anyone can put a price on anything. You never know, some rich person could come in and buy it up. I’ve seen it in the yugioh market where a rich buyer came in and was over paying by like $700 just because of conveinience and they wanted them right then. AND THAT IS A FREE MARKET

The best thing I’ve seen on eBay was a title saying

“Record breaking Machamp!”

And in description it stated the previous highest price sold for a base set Machamp (obviously PSA 10) and set the price at $1 more.

This thread is pissing me off.

1 Like