Crazy or genius ebay listings?

Hey y’all,

Came across this just now,

www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Pokemon-Rocket-1st-Edition-Dark-Arbok-Holo-PSA-4-POP-1-L-K/292260707381?hash=item440c187c35:g:SZgAAOSwCV5ZwI8x

Not sure how I feel about this style of “entrepreneurship”, part of me feels like you can do whatever you want and sell your cards for any amount. Part of me feels like it might take advantage of someone. I guess it can’t be as bad as a diamond from a jeweler? Is this a trend to sell low population cards even if they are in not so great condition

Thoughts?

-Matthew

This is a complicated issue we’ve discussed here and there, there are several schools of thought here:

1. Sellers have a right to list their items for whatever price they damn well please and we should all just deal with it.

2. Sellers shouldn’t list cards for prices ridiculously above their value, as you note it could be an attempt to take advantage of an unaware buyer or an attempt to drive up the price of a card. Those who believe this also argue that these high prices can lead to serious misconceptions about the value of Pokemon cards as uneducated individuals think that simply because something is listed on eBay for a price, it’s worth that much. This is why we get videos from “news outlets” on social media about how Bill is worth $2000 and fossil Krabby is $800.

3. Sort of an offshoot of #2, but with an application to a unique situation: when you have a POP 1 card or yours is the only one listed with no reputable sales history or comparable cards. Think trophy cards, new releases and obscure promos in high PSA grades. There really isn’t a market value for those, so sellers can basically set the price. That doesn’t mean anyone will pay, but argument #2 is less strong when it comes to those cards.

I personally believe that while we can never compel anyone to list cards for a certain value (people are free to list for whatever they please) these sellers should be aware of the harm that listing common or low-value cards for ridiculous prices does to the hobby and the community as a whole. On the levels of shady behavior it’s fairly harmless, but its still avoidable by simple research.

6 Likes

The thing with Pokémon is that almost all people willing to unload lots of money in a card are extremely educated in their purchase decisions.

Given this, you are essentially shooting yourself in the foot if you price something absurdly high because 1) people who are just getting started are definitely not going to buy that card and 2) people who are willing to shell lots of money on a card know what they’re getting into and know the shit you’re pulling. Congrats, you’ve left a bad taste in their mouths.

1 Like

I cannot stand searching “Pokemon” on eBay (Priced High to Low) and having to scroll past HUNDREDS of crappy items that are priced ridiculously. I really wish eBay could create some type of filter to filter-out all of those listings - something along the lines of: “remove all listings from stupid people” LOL

While it’s a pain having to see these types of listings; I really don’t see the harm (or frankly care)… First Off, it’s really the responsibility of the individual to research before dropping their money. Anyone who blindly purchases anything solely based upon the listing itself - without knowing anything about the actuality - is just naive and setting themselves up to get scammed big-time. This may sound a bit harsh, but if you’re going to be that stupid to purchase anything like this, you deserve to get burned (in the figurative sense - not literal).

And Secondly, these people who are making themselves look foolish by listing these “rare” items are just allowing me (and all of the other trusted sellers) to sell more! The vast majority of collectors research and have some knowledge as to what they’re actually purchasing before purchasing. If you’re browsing eBay and come-across one of these “rare” items, how likely are you to stop and browse this individual’s eBay Store / Account? Personally, I never look - move right along. This means that instead of that individual getting a sale, one of the trusted eBay Sellers will get that person’s business!

I don’t know how anybody can resist this when they drop L@@k in the title.

I see this and instantly think trash.

10 Likes

no problem with it.

The seller is dishonest(see negative feedback) and deceitful.
He doesn’t even deserve this thread.
The loser is even selling a Bible…is it for show so as to appear honest lol?

Lastly, he doesn’t even mention it’s an error which, though uncorrected in that series, is a legitimate feature to push.

1 Like

wtf? Does that snake have two tongues?

Do you mean what’s the error?
The date on the bottom says 23000 instead of 2000

3 Likes

I was looking at the holo art and it looked like there was a cartoon tongue under it’s normal snek tongue. I’m guessing it’s just supposed to be a tongue shadow or something. I was buggin

i made him an offer for 23@@@ … fingers cr@ssed : P

2 Likes

W@W G@@d11 LUCK

4 Likes

dishonest seller… he cancelled after working out a deal with me a while back, I was pissed. He was asking for more money and giving tons of excuses. I wouldn’t buy from him.

1 Like

I’m feeling a little cheeky so I submitted an offer for $4 with the following note:

“If you sell me this card for $4 I will crack it and stick it in a binder where it belongs. Then I will send the label back to PSA to restore the population back to it’s rightful state: zero. Thank you for your consideration. Have a blessed day!”

3 Likes

Oh this must be the error 1999-2300 version, no wonder this clown is asking so much. im so stupid :grin:

1 Like

Unsure if sarcasm or not, but I’m in doubt ^^’

If I’m not mistaken, all 1st edition dark Arboks have this error?

No they have the 1999-23000 (not 2300) error ; p

just remember that…

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s what Prochaos meant :stuck_out_tongue:
Didn’t say anything as I thought it was pretty obvious ^^’

I received a couple of messages from the seller in response to my offer. S/he asked me to post them in this thread so here they are:

“I’m not a dummy. I know your messing with me. I saw your comment on the thread. It’s so amazing how people scream scam or dishonest or take advantage just because they see something that they think is absurd. I think you guys frankly just don’t get the purpose of the listing. Or you all need something to do. First and for most, it’s an attention grabber for my page so people will likely look to see my other “absurd” listings and then hopefully might find something they actually like. Second, the whole point of that card is not just the fact that the POP is 1, but the fact that this card should have been a PSA 7 minimum! The fact that it graded a 4 is almost ridiculous on PSAs part and is an error in judgment that almost never happens at PSA. Combine those two facts and this card shouldn’t exist”

“Please do post that also, as I don’t really feel like registering just to make a point. Not worth my time. And one more thing, I kind of enjoy knowing I’m the only one in the world that has that. And the fact that no one can have it as long as I decide they shouldn’t have it. I own 100% of that POP and boy does it feel good. I actually spoke to Scott about this card last year and asked his opinion. I’ll sum up the discussion in a few words, good marketing. Have a nice day.”

I can see both sides of the issue so I’ll refrain from further comment, other than to say maybe there is some truth to the old saying: “Any press is good press”.

1 Like

Pop 1 means absolutely nothing when its a PSA 4, and a Dark Arbok to top the cake lol